80 Lashes, Fine And Deportation For Drinking At Home!!!!!!

Topic locked
80 Lashes, Fine and Deportation for Drinking at Home!!!!!! Feb 21, 2010
Jail, 80 lashes, fine and deportation for drinking at home!!!

Wow!!.... Isn’t that a little too severe, particularly in a place (Ajman) where you can openly buy booze!!??

Man to get 80 lashes for drinking alcohol

By Bassma Al Jandaly, Senior Reporter
Published: 00:00 February 19, 2010

Ajman: A man will pay a fine, receive lashes and will be deported for consuming alcohol in his room in Ajman, according to court documents, Gulf News has learned.
The Arab man was sentenced by the court to pay a Dh1,500 fine. He will receive 80 lashes, after which he will be deported.

A medical test conducted after his arrest showed alcohol in his bloodstream.
Police told Gulf News that the 26-year-old Moroccan — identified as M.Z. — was last week arrested in his room, which he shared with others.

M.Z. was arrested along with the other residents, including a man and a woman who lived in the same place.

Police said they went to arrest another man, but when they found the accommodation was being shared, they arrested everybody. The residents were taken for medical tests to establish if they had sexual relationships, police said.

"The law bans unmarried men and women from staying in one place. We found that M.Z. consumed alcohol in his room and he was referred to the Public Prosecutor," a police source said.

The court found there had not been any sexual relations between the residents.
M.Z.'s sister told Gulf News that her brother came to work in Dubai as a tailor three years ago.

"We are a poor family and we have our parents who we are supporting back home. My brother is not bad person. He consumes alcohol in his room," she said.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime ... l-1.585233

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: 80 Lashes, Fine and Deportation for Drinking at Home!!!!!! Feb 21, 2010
Nothing surprising there, expect people living in the middle ages to act like in the middle ages.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

gertrude wrote:Nothing surprising there, expect people living in the middle ages to act like in the middle ages.

One can't disagree with that. :lol:

What a world we live in. Its laughable from my Western perspective, but if I were living there I would definately be crying. Again...what a world... :drunken:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Say whatever you want however the guy who has been caught unfortunately broke so many laws.

1) He is most certainly Muslim, so it is against Shariah law to consume Alcohol.

2) He is not allowed to share accomodation.

3) He is not allowed to share accomodation with a female.

These laws are all well known and documented, so why the fuss?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Tom Jones wrote:Jail, 80 lashes, fine and deportation for drinking at home!!!

Wow!!.... Isn’t that a little too severe, particularly in a place (Ajman) where you can openly buy booze!!??

Man to get 80 lashes for drinking alcohol

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime ... l-1.585233

Sage would find it well deserved and a decent judgement.
capsicum
BANNED

I told you, lol.
In the end, who cares, they can give him life in prison if they want, they only do it to themselves and by themselves, they accept it and live in total submission their whole life. But they dont know what they are missing :) alcohol is good (in moderation) and it s fantastic to have a girl friend.
capsicum
BANNED

sage & onion wrote:Say whatever you want however the guy who has been caught unfortunately broke so many laws.

1) He is most certainly Muslim, so it is against Shariah law to consume Alcohol.

For a set of laws in the Arab Middle ages, I could possibly agree with that view.

But from a 21st Century libertarian secular perspective... Absolutely unacceptable. :drunken:
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:

For a set of laws in the Arab Middle ages, I could possibly agree with that view.

But from a 21st Century libertarian secular perspective... Absolutely unacceptable. :drunken:

:lol: what Arab is not in Middle ages, Arab=Middle ages, it s the same Robby
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

:lol: what Arab is not in Middle ages, Arab=Middle ages, it s the same Robby

I stand corrected. :D
RobbyG

How about those Arabs? I caught them in a liquore store buying booze. Should they get 80 lashes too?
Capsicum: I say Arab=Hypocrisy
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

hey thats me LOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Tom Jones wrote: The residents were taken for medical tests to establish if they had sexual relationships, police said.

Thats just so Orwellian!
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

My take on most of these stories about alcohol consumption, holding hands, kissing, or sharing accomodation "arrests" is that they are made up to send "warnings" to others and only happen where there is some other dispute and someone "rats" on the arrested person.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

How they prove that u are muslim or not? If anytime I lived in Dubai and Since in my passport has written muslim, and I'm from Iran, they can arrest me because of drinking? :roll:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:How they prove that u are muslim or not? If anytime I lived in Dubai and Since in my passport has written muslim, and I'm from Iran, they can arrest me because of drinking? :roll:

Apparently :D Ironically, and at the same time the amount of alcohol you can bring into the UAE has increased. I came tru to Dubai Terminal 2 yesterday and at Duty Free there was a couple in front of me buying alochol. They inquired whether they could pay in one bill as they had 4 botlles of wine. The cashier told them they could import 10 bottles, 5 each! The couple was surprised as they thought it was only 3 bottles but apparently it is 10 bottles (5 litters) and it was recently increase to that level (to boost sales) :lol:
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

It is ironic!!! see I born muslim and I can not convert or be atheist, cause the penalty would be death! and they can arrest me of drinking cause I am muslim!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:It is ironic!!! see I born muslim and I can not convert or be atheist, cause the penalty would be death! and they can arrest me of drinking cause I am muslim!

I there a restriction on moving to a free country :shock: :shock: :shock:
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

XPT wrote:
melika969 wrote:It is ironic!!! see I born muslim and I can not convert or be atheist, cause the penalty would be death! and they can arrest me of drinking cause I am muslim!

Hehe, no the problem is the free country won't let me in! as we might be terrorists etc etc...
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

8)
sage & onion wrote:Say whatever you want however the guy who has been caught unfortunately broke so many laws.

Oh..C’mon Sage…you’re not serious, are you??

The guy was sitting at home not bothering anyone, and discretely drinking booze that he probably bought openly at the hole in the wall in Ajman.

He gets the humiliating, cruel punishment of 80 lashes just because he happens to be a Moslem.

What about all the other Moslems in Ajman (including the locals) who drink in plain view at the nearby Kempinski Hotel bars?? Aren’t they also Moslems violating the alcohol consumption law as well??

Is that your interpretation of equal justice under the law??

Even in the ultra conservative KSA, they don’t prosecute people who drink at home.

It’s OK to fine the guy for the not-so- serious offence of sharing accommodation with others, but for alcohol consumption!!??. C’moon!!! And not just 80 lashes, but also he loses his job that he probably depends on to support his family back home, gets fined and then gets deported??

Unless there is more to this story than we know, I see this as an overkill, and a totally warranted sentence!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

melika969 wrote:
XPT wrote:

Hehe, no the problem is the free country won't let me in! as we might be terrorists etc etc...

Tell them you'll be spy :P :wink:
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

Tom Jones wrote:8)

The guy was sitting at home not bothering anyone, and discretely drinking booze that he probably bought openly at the hole in the wall in Ajman.

He gets the humiliating, cruel punishment of 80 lashes just because he happens to be a Moslem.

What about all the other Moslems in Ajman (including the locals) who drink in plain view at the nearby Kempinski Hotel bars?? Aren’t they also Moslems violating the alcohol consumption law as well??

Even in the ultra conservative KSA, they don’t prosecute people who drink at home.

It’s OK to fine the guy for the not-so- serious offence of sharing accommodation with others, but for alcohol consumption!!??. C’moon!!! And not just 80 lashes, but also he loses his job that he probably depends on to support his family back home, gets fined and then gets deported??

Unless there is more to this story than we know, I see this as an overkill, and a totally warranted sentence!!

8) 8)

you should direct your stupid questions to your self ! and should go like this : is there is locals in jail and face the same punishment for such an act ? the answer is yes.... you see you and the other sheep's :lol: need to understand your problem ! you are only focusing on what happens to foreigners and not the locals, and that's why you see no justices bcz it's only on your head. do you get it ?

and do not excuse your wrong doing just bcz others are doing it or not getting punished for it, it proves you aree a sheep that follows blindly.

good luck... bash away :lol:
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:

8) 8)

you should direct your stupid questions to your self ! and should go like this : is there is locals in jail and face the same punishment for such an act ? the answer is yes.... you see you and the other sheep's :lol: need to understand your problem ! you are only focusing on what happens to foreigners and not the locals, and that's why you see no justices bcz it's only on your head. do you get it ?

and do not excuse your wrong doing just bcz others are doing it or not getting punished for it, it proves you aree a sheep that follows blindly.

UAEkid try getting out of bed on the other side fo the bed tomorrow am :shock:
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

lol SHEEEPS hahaha good one uaekid. didnt know there were so many sheeps in this forum. Well you all can BAAAAAAAAAAA all you want, because thats the law of the land. :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

uaekid wrote:you should direct your stupid questions to your self ! and should go like this : is there is locals in jail and face the same punishment for such an act ? the answer is yes.... you see you and the other sheep's :lol: need to understand your problem ! you are only focusing on what happens to foreigners and not the locals, and that's why you see no justices bcz it's only on your head. do you get it ?

I don't get you. When people focus on the locals, your defense mechanism kicks in. Your response sounds like you were offended that "you" were excluded and no thought was given to locals in the same situation. :lol:

Kid, we know there are locals in jail. We have all been privy to certain situations that happened to make the newspaper. :lol: And there are many more situations that don't make the paper. :lol: :lol: We also know that there are locals in jail for drugs - either for distribution or use. No one is saying that they are the exception when it comes to committing crimes. :) Feel better now?? :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

yes you might see "locals" drink at kempiski but how do you know they are actually LOCALS, who knows they can be local look alikes :D no seriously :P who knows they could be irani, balooshis, iraqi or even egyptians etc etc that have some characterisitcs that make them look like locals. I always get taken as a local but I aint but yes am a muslim.

now are you telling me that each and every single policeman should start hanging around at kempiski and ask them are you a muslim and are you a local? lol if they do that who will catch the theives and the reckless car drivers? then you guys will baaaaaaaaaaaa about how their is a shortage of policemen in dubai (there already is). so they will only punish those when the crime is reported.

lol honestly guys, use some common sense before you start your baaaabaaaaaaa :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:yes you might see "locals" drink at kempiski but how do you know they are actually LOCALS, who knows they can be local look alikes :D no seriously :P who knows they could be irani, balooshis, iraqi or even egyptians etc etc that have some characterisitcs that make them look like locals. I always get taken as a local but I aint but yes am a muslim.

now are you telling me that each and every single policeman should start hanging around at kempiski and ask them are you a muslim and are you a local? lol if they do that who will catch the theives and the reckless car drivers? then you guys will baaaaaaaaaaaa about how their is a shortage of policemen in dubai (there already is). so they will only punish those when the crime is reported.

Speaking of common sense...........???...............do you have any?? Most locals are of irani, balooshi, iraqi ethnicity. DUH!! Egyptians don't look anything like a local, although there are some who were given the UAE passport, or are locals by mix marriage. One of the few things Egyptians do have is their own "look". And if you haven't noticed, there are many local men marrying Phillipino girls - and take a good look at their child or children. In years to come you are going to see a lot of locals with a very Asian (slant eyed, wide nose, straight hair) look going on.

And how can you say that you are mistaken for a local? I have yet to see an Indian or Pakistani who comes close to even resembling a local.

Who is talking about police at the bars - specifically Kempinski?? Would you try to stay on the same page?!?! But to answer your question: how do we know they are locals: errrr, their clothes to start with. Absolutely no fashion sense when it comes to dressing in Western clothing!!!

What is this a sheeps vs. donkeys thread? BAAAAAAD donkeys is what I say to you and Kid. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

8) 8)

I am not saying I agree with it or not, the simple fact is that the guy was actually breaking the law. I always tell people that in the UAE, their is never a problem until their is a problem. For instance did you know that it is actually against the laws of the UAE for a resident (Non-muslim) to consume Alcohol anywhere without a valid liquor licence?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Yes, I am aware of that. But as you know, even in the UK, as in the US, there are laws on the books that are not enforced. The "valid liquor license" is enforced at will. It was probably put into "law" when they were writing up the "laws" at the very beginning, when Dubai was Dubai.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:yes you might see "locals" drink at kempiski but how do you know they are actually LOCALS, who knows they can be local look alikes :D no seriously :P who knows they could be irani, balooshis, iraqi or even egyptians etc etc that have some characterisitcs that make them look like locals. I always get taken as a local but I aint but yes am a muslim.

Speaking of common sense...........???...............do you have any?? Most locals are of irani, balooshi, iraqi ethnicity. DUH!! Egyptians don't look anything like a local, although there are some who were given the UAE passport, or are locals by mix marriage. One of the few things Egyptians do have is their own "look". And if you haven't noticed, there are many local men marrying Phillipino girls - and take a good look at their child or children. In years to come you are going to see a lot of locals with a very Asian (slant eyed, wide nose, straight hair) look going on.

And how can you say that you are mistaken for a local? I have yet to see an Indian or Pakistani who comes close to even resembling a local.

Who is talking about police at the bars - specifically Kempinski?? Would you try to stay on the same page?!?! But to answer your question: how do we know they are locals: errrr, their clothes to start with. Absolutely no fashion sense when it comes to dressing in Western clothing!!!

What is this a sheeps vs. donkeys thread? BAAAAAAD donkeys is what I say to you and Kid. :lol: :lol:

err indians and pakistani do come close to resembling a local. go and do some homework and see where balooshis came from. while you at it tiger cat, do some homework as to how some local men married indian women from hyderabad. The fact is you cant tell who is local. Trust me you will find some local CID guys driving around in dubai taxis,sharjah taxis and you wouldnt know!!! ask herve boy if you dont believe me ;)

lol if i start wearing a kandoora, i am a local? lol good one. local men dont have a sense when it comes to western clothing lol AGAIN. seriously dont know which "local" crowd you been hanging around with. go to london and see how some of the locals dress up there and you will find some locals here wearing pleasant western dressware althought you will not come across THAT many because they are at HOME.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Bora Bora wrote:Yes, I am aware of that. But as you know, even in the UK, as in the US, there are laws on the books that are not enforced. The "valid liquor license" is enforced at will. It was probably put into "law" when they were writing up the "laws" at the very beginning, when Dubai was Dubai.

Thats why I said; "their is never a problem until their is a problem" these laws do occasionaly get enforced.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat