God Save Our Gracious Queen!

Topic locked
God Save Our Gracious Queen! May 26, 2011
It got me thinking, when watching the recent visit from our American friend, does Her Majesty ever get sick of hearing 'God Save Our Gracious Queen?'

Everytime she enters the room, it's played. Does she wonder if it'd just a coincidence? Does she think 'oh no! not that bloody song again, that's all one's heard in the last 50 years'

I'm not sure what I'd like as my theme tune. I quite like Elvis' The Wonder of You :D

When no-one else can understand me
When everything I do is wrong
You give me hope and consolation
You give me strength to carry on

And you're always there to lend a hand
In everything I do
That's the wonder
The wonder of you

:lol: :lol:

What would you like to walk into the room to?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: God Save Our Gracious Queen! May 26, 2011
Well may your queen be saved from whatever is it that she is fearful off.

My theme would be this -
[I'm Too Sexy (Tastemakers Remix)]
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Queen...we will rock you.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

There She Is, Miss America..................... :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: God Save Our Gracious Queen! May 27, 2011
zubber wrote:Well may your queen be saved from whatever is it that she is fearful off.

My theme would be this -
[I'm Too Sexy (Tastemakers Remix)]

Don't be silly Zubber. It's not the Queen asking to be saved :roll: You are a pillock sometimes.

You like those 80's remix stuff don't you. Personally I think you can never beat the originals.

Good choices everyone else!
Bethsmum

^^ Well the originals are good no doubt , but imho they're too slow and sound empty, some of the best remixes are of older songs,

Well if its not the queen who is fearful , then who is ? and why does that slogan about saving her exist in the first place ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Well I tried but I couldn’t think of anything that funny really, so I asked my Son what he thought would be an apt song title and he suggested ‘He’s Mistra Know it All’ by Stevie Blunder :shock:

What? I said, and what is that supposed to mean? I just caught a snigger through his mouthful of cheese sandwich as he slid out of earshot with another one of my beers.

Kids Eeh?

:roll:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dillon wrote:Well I tried but I couldn’t think of anything that funny really, so I asked my Son what he thought would be an apt song title and he suggested ‘He’s Mistra Know it All’ by Stevie Blunder :shock:

What? I said, and what is that supposed to mean? I just caught a snigger through his mouthful of cheese sandwich as he slid out of earshot with another one of my beers.

Kids Eeh?

:roll:

Nowt like kids for keeping you grounded Dillon! That made me LOL. :D
Bethsmum

I like your son Dillon. :P :P
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

On a more serious note, :x I think ‘God save the Queen’ should remain as the National Anthem for the UK, Commonwealth and British Dependencies for state occasions, and a unique National Anthem for each separate Country when that Country is individually represented, such as sporting events. The Commonwealth Games Council for England launched a poll to allow the public to decide which anthem would be played at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India. Voters could choose between God Save the Queen, Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory with the winning song being adopted as the official anthem for the England Team. Jerusalem was declared the winner, securing 52% of the vote!

My vote for England’s National Anthem would be ‘I Vow to Thee, My Country’ a poem by Sir Cecil Rice, set to music by Gustav Holst.

8)
Dillon

Does it change to God save the King if there is a KIng on the throne ?
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Does it change to God save the King if there is a KIng on the throne ?

Yes with a few more changes, when the monarch of the time is male, ‘Queen’, and all female pronouns are replaced with ‘King’ and male pronouns. In addition, the lyrics of the third verse are modified slightly to read, ‘With heart and voice to sing, God save the King’ from the current ‘To sing with heart and voice, God save the Queen’.

Why, are you practicing ?

:lol:
Dillon

Pippa is still not married and in some tragic vanishing of a cruise liner in the bermuda triangle the entire UK royalty vanishes. I could be the only one left !!!

First Royal decree would be to change the name of the country to Britistan !

Oh....you meant....why you little........
desertdudeshj

You haven't quite got a handle on it yet DDS, Pippa in a commoner, her sister married into Royalty, it wasn't the other way round and another thing you should know is that, no two members of the Royal Family who are the serving monarch or direct heirs to the throne, allowed to travel in the same vehicle whether by Land Air or Sea, so you need to go back to the drawing board I'm afraid,

:lol:
Dillon

God dammit !
desertdudeshj

Re: God Save Our Gracious Queen! May 28, 2011
It did make me chuckle at te Royal wedding when they played the national anthem ad everybody else was singing, but Queenie obviously didn't have to. What would she sing? 'God save me?' lol
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: God Save Our Gracious Queen! May 29, 2011
the silly old bat will 4get one day that shes the queen (when she gets old and loses her memory) and will probably join in the fun and sing along to god save our queen!! :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: God Save Our Gracious Queen! May 29, 2011
rudeboy wrote:the silly old bat will 4get one day that shes the queen (when she gets old and loses her memory) and will probably join in the fun and sing along to god save our queen!! :D

I think she's already old RB. Does Sheikh Mohammed have an anthem that everyone sings when he enters a room?
Bethsmum

Re: God Save Our Gracious Queen! May 30, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:
rudeboy wrote:the silly old bat will 4get one day that shes the queen (when she gets old and loses her memory) and will probably join in the fun and sing along to god save our queen!! :D

I think she's already old RB. Does Sheikh Mohammed have an anthem that everyone sings when he enters a room?

shes not THAT old. OLD is when you have false teeth, got a walking stick in one hand and you are one step away from your grave!!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

shes not THAT old. OLD is when you have false teeth, got a walking stick in one hand and you are one step away from your grave!!!

Well she's 85 RB, isn't that oldish? And Phil The Greek is 90. They're doing ok aren't they? I'd like to say it's courtesy of the National Health Service but they are too busy these days repairing the hymen's of naughty Muslim girls :D
Bethsmum

101 is old and that was the age of queens mum when she died (i think)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat