Teaching In Dubai - Where To Look?

Topic locked
Teaching in Dubai - where to look? Aug 11, 2009
Hi everyone,

Just trying out my first post here and looking/hoping for a bit of advice.

I am looking to apply for some teaching positions in Dubai for the next school year 10/11 - does anyone know of good 'agencies' or where to approach for vacancies? I have seen a website - I think it is 'Anthony Millard' - are these any good? Or better to go through TES (I'm in the UK)

Thanks!

stacey24
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 11, 2009
TES (you mean Times Education Supplement?) usually has good selection of teaching jobs (but not all are good schools)
The International Educator TIE (USA) also worth a look
IB organisation advertises jobs but not many
ECIS and Search Associates organise job fairs (ECIS is better IMHO but not all schools that advertise with them are good)
Haven't heard of Anthony Millard

Do your research. Lots of crap jobs. Here's more info

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/teaching-in-dubai.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/schools-dubai.php
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 12, 2009
Thankyou - will have a look at those links.

Yes I meant the Times Ed, I assumed that all jobs in there were 'vetted' as such, looks like I have some research to do!

When you say 'good schools' - how can I find out what ones are good and what ones aren't?

Thanks again
stacey24
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 12, 2009
stacey24 wrote:When you say 'good schools' - how can I find out what ones are good and what ones aren't?

"good" is a subjective term. Teach at a school and then you'll have an opinion but that's not an efficient way to find out.

Search for comments on the internet (and take them all with a pinch of salt - look for trends rather than specifics - TES and Dave's ESL Cafe have teacher forums, TES is more heavily censored for criticisms), visit the school before final acceptance of a job, keep in mind there are no unions here and many employers use that to their advantage. Ask the school questions - speed and quality of communication can be used as indicators. Dubai schools list has teacher satisfaction ratings.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Teaching in Dubai - where to look? Feb 11, 2011
Try your school career center, sometimes they have postings. At my friends college that's how he found his job. After that, you have to get your degree attested. There's a place online where they provide the service www.apostillepros.com to attest / authenticate your degree by the united arab emirates. It cost a bit, but they are fast. It can't be a fake degree or online degree that you attest either.

stacey24 wrote:Hi everyone,

Just trying out my first post here and looking/hoping for a bit of advice.

I am looking to apply for some teaching positions in Dubai for the next school year 10/11 - does anyone know of good 'agencies' or where to approach for vacancies? I have seen a website - I think it is 'Anthony Millard' - are these any good? Or better to go through TES (I'm in the UK)

Thanks!
nassarm31
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai