BOOKS Review & Exchange

Topic locked
Jan 20, 2007
cyrix wrote:Just started Paulo Coelho's "I sat by the river pedra and wept"....great so far!

next up :

"The Zahir" and "Eleven Minutes"

Now, i personally think "The Alchemist" was awesome...but thats all i had read from paulo coelho...anyone think he ever topped that one?

Before reading any books of coelho, it is recommended to read first The Alchemist, then By the River Piedra, then veronica decideds to die for you to understand his style of writing.

Now I am reading Daugthers of Arabia & read other books by Jean Sasson.

asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 20, 2007
asc_26 wrote:Is it possible to trade in books here? We can read more and save some bucks. Suggestion please.

My books are not dilapidated nor dog - eared. I would be glad to exchange them with books i haven't read yet.

~~~hope to get some positive feedback~~~

that sounds like an excellent idea i always run out of books to read and always looking to save some cash...books ain't cheap. any idea's how we could work it?

also does anyone know if there is a bookclub in dubai been looking but haven't found one if not is there anyone that would be interested if i started one?
emurella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2007
asc_26 wrote:
cyrix wrote:Just started Paulo Coelho's "I sat by the river pedra and wept"....great so far!

next up :

"The Zahir" and "Eleven Minutes"

Now, i personally think "The Alchemist" was awesome...but thats all i had read from paulo coelho...anyone think he ever topped that one?

Before reading any books of coelho, it is recommended to read first The Alchemist, then By the River Piedra, then veronica decideds to die for you to understand his style of writing.

Now I am reading Daugthers of Arabia & read other books by Jean Sasson.

good idea..asc
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 21, 2007
emurella wrote:
asc_26 wrote:Is it possible to trade in books here? We can read more and save some bucks. Suggestion please.

My books are not dilapidated nor dog - eared. I would be glad to exchange them with books i haven't read yet.

that sounds like an excellent idea i always run out of books to read and always looking to save some cash...books ain't cheap. any idea's how we could work it?

also does anyone know if there is a bookclub in dubai been looking but haven't found one if not is there anyone that would be interested if i started one?

im in...for the Bookclub :wink:
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 22, 2007
I only have about 20 books here. I left the rest back home.

Still, I think it is a good idea.

mema wrote:
emurella wrote:

im in...for the Bookclub :wink:
Shermin
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 25, 2007
Concord is bookworm too, and he got thousands of books. Ladies, let's do some planning to get into his house while he's out and get all his books. What do you think?

I don't know about bookclub here. :( Let's check with magrudy's.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 25, 2007
bookclub??? Where? Where???

:study:
Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 25, 2007
There used to be a second hand bookshop in that pink shopping mall along from Magrudy's on the beach road in Jumeirah - think it was called 'House of Books' or something. You could buy used books and also trade books. Not sure if it's there any more.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 25, 2007
Just finished reading these:

'We need to talk about Kevin' Lionel Shriver
Quite a disturbing and heavy read, but compulsive too. A mother writing about her son who committed a Columbine type massacre.

' A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' Marina Lewycka
Not really about tractors and not written in Ukrainian. Easy to read and very, very funny. Story written from point of view of a woman whose elderly father marries an Eastern European goldigger.

Btw, we have a book club at work : here's how it works:

- 10 members who pay 50 chips into a kitty monthly
- members take it in turns, monthly, to spend the kitty money ( on books! ) and host the book swapping session
- new books are numbered ( and name of person who bought is written on them ) as they are bought and each month we note down who is taking and returning what at the monthly meeting
- books are 'retired' after a year and given to the person who bought them

Works really well and saves a lot of money. Might also prevent you from being arrested for burglary!!!
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 25, 2007
sauron wrote:There used to be a second hand bookshop in that pink shopping mall along from Magrudy's on the beach road in Jumeirah - think it was called 'House of Books' or something. You could buy used books and also trade books. Not sure if it's there any more.

ohh i used to love going to that place a nice old man owns it..Don't tell me its not there anymore :cry:
Good thing Magrudys started a loyalty card, a point for every dirham n then u get discounts n gifts..i'm waiting for their online store
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 25, 2007
mema wrote:
sauron wrote:There used to be a second hand bookshop in that pink shopping mall along from Magrudy's on the beach road in Jumeirah - think it was called 'House of Books' or something. You could buy used books and also trade books. Not sure if it's there any more.

ohh i used to love going to that place a nice old man owns it..Don't tell me its not there anymore :cry:
Good thing Magrudys started a loyalty card, a point for every dirham n then u get discounts n gifts..i'm waiting for their online store

I think the second-hand place moved to a new location - I'll see what I can find out.
I use Amazon a lot for books, movies and music. They often have great discounted stuff, the postal charges are not too bad and the stuff takes a week to ten days to get here.
http://amazon.co.uk/
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 26, 2007
sauron wrote:J'We need to talk about Kevin' Lionel Shriver
Quite a disturbing and heavy read, but compulsive too. A mother writing about her son who committed a Columbine type massacre.

It's a good book, but not an easy read at all.
iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 26, 2007
sauron wrote:Just finished reading these:

'We need to talk about Kevin' Lionel Shriver

' A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' Marina Lewycka
Not really about tractors and not written in Ukrainian. Easy to read and very, very funny. Story written from point of view of a woman whose elderly father marries an Eastern European goldigger.

Btw, we have a book club at work : here's how it works:

- 10 members who pay 50 chips into a kitty monthly
- members take it in turns, monthly, to spend the kitty money ( on books! ) and host the book swapping session
- new books are numbered ( and name of person who bought is written on them ) as they are bought and each month we note down who is taking and returning what at the monthly meeting
- books are 'retired' after a year and given to the person who bought them

Works really well and saves a lot of money.

My friend is still reading that book, i will borrow after. :D We're not officemates, we can't be a member.
:(

sauron wrote:Might also prevent you from being arrested for burglary!!!

You're an accomplice now. No worries, we'll leave no trace.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 27, 2007
:lol: :lol:
If there's a group of you living in Dubai, shouldn't be difficult to get together once a month. Or mail the books? Bleakus works for Empost, doesn't he? Maybe if you talk nice to him he'll give you a big discount!!
If not.......... I have my stocking mask and gloves at the ready :wink:
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 13, 2007

It's 'House of Prose' in Ibn Batuta Mall.

I went there once, not much to see.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 13, 2007
alexandra wrote:i have read everything signed by Coelho and one my fav. was Manual of the warrior of light.
eleven minutes is a great book too and u wont be disapointed :wink:

Eleven Minutes is a good read. Literally, I never put the book down till I finish it!
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 22, 2007
For those Stephen King fans, Salem's Lot is one master pieces. Specially if you liked Bram Stocker's Dracula.

Is there books that match Bram Stocker's Dracula? I am very much into vampires.
Lexer
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 22, 2007
The Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles series is very engaging.
bear
Dubai chat master

Jun 04, 2007
11 minutes was interesting i agree

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Jun 04, 2007
smartd wrote:11 minutes was interesting i agree

Cheers,

D

I can sense you like brazilian lady. It was a good read, i was keen to know at first, why the title of the book is ELEVEN MINUTES. Is it "eleven minutes" only? :oops:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

new in dubai Jun 08, 2007
Hello every one

I am new in city. been relocated from uk (Manchester) because of my job. I read this forum, spent all my friday insurfing. i really like the way you people share your ideas.
I have 'eleven minutes' to start with this forum i can share this with you.

Hope to hear from your side

Amar
aamir_398
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 07, 2008
i like more The alchemist, by Coelho.
sankyx
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 04, 2008
it seems that nobody here read books anymore :shock: :shock:
sankyx
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 05, 2008
i just finished 'the kite runner' and its wonderful.... as soon as i finished it i went and bought 'a thousand splendid suns' by the same author.... looking forward to it....
SparHawk
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 05, 2008
Hey love those books too......I felt sorry for the actor (boy) in kite runner that they have to escape afghanistan 'coz of threats.
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 05, 2008
we have heard the story a thousand times... but hosseini's rendition was absolutely superb.... touched my heart.... i bought the book based on one comment by Isabelle Allende "after reading this, everything else seemed to be bland" ... i totally agree with her....
SparHawk
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 05, 2008
SparHawk wrote:we have heard the story a thousand times...

Im only showing my sympathy to the boy who play the part in the film, such acerbic attitude of yours......doesn't really have space in here....
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 05, 2008
:arrow:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 05, 2008
i dint mean anything like that... i am sorry for the boy... i was trying to say tht even though the story is something known to all of us, the way hosseini portrayed it was wonderful and brilliant....
SparHawk
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 09, 2008
Jeevan wrote:I mostly read fiction and if i can lay my hands on something about astronomy i jump at it.

Just finished reading From a Buick 8 by stephen King.

would be definately interested in a exchange forum:)

Cheers,

Jerry

im readin it .. cool book haan ..
Captain Sirus Black
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk