Living With Girlfriend

Topic locked
Living with girlfriend Nov 16, 2006
I am scheduled to be in Dubai early next year and I plan to ask my girlfriend to come as well. I know that it is illegal for an unmarried couple to be living together, however are there any arrangements that would overcome this law, eg subleasing a room to her? Or am I over-worried with this regulation? How would this law be enforced?

Some insights into this would be appreciated.

Ansa
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Living with girlfriend Nov 16, 2006
Ansa wrote:I am scheduled to be in Dubai early next year and I plan to ask my girlfriend to come as well. I know that it is illegal for an unmarried couple to be living together, however are there any arrangements that would overcome this law, eg subleasing a room to her? Or am I over-worried with this regulation? How would this law be enforced?

Get a new girlfriend. Problem solved. If you get one with a ninja suit even better.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 16, 2006
Dont go to Sharjah...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Ansa wrote:I am scheduled to be in Dubai early next year and I plan to ask my girlfriend to come as well. I know that it is illegal for an unmarried couple to be living together, however are there any arrangements that would overcome this law, eg subleasing a room to her? Or am I over-worried with this regulation? How would this law be enforced?

You get caught living in the same place with a woman that is not related to you, you are in trouble, prison followed by deportation for both of you.

My advice, get married, end of problem.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:

You get caught living in the same place with a woman that is not related to you, you are in trouble, prison followed by deportation for both of you.

No need to get married just so you won't get deprted. Think about it, if you get deported then you are "status quo" (back in UK, etc.). In fact, they only seem to harrass the "defenseless". Never read a story of an "caucasian" expat being jailed or deproted for it.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Come to Dubai, see the situation, evaluate and decide if your girlfriend can follow you & live together in Dubai. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Concord wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

No need to get married just so you won't get deprted. Think about it, if you get deported then you are "status quo" (back in UK, etc.). In fact, they only seem to harrass the "defenseless". Never read a story of an "caucasian" expat being jailed or deproted for it.

Just because you never read a story does not make the problem go away, I know of 3 couples in the last 10 years that have been caught under various circumstances, jailed and deported for living together without being married. 2 couples from UK, 1 couple from Lebanon
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 17, 2006
This is a real debatable topic i feel. As i come from a country where we respect people from all walks of life and their beliefs.

Simple fact is that the westerners are needed over there to make the crazy dreams of crazy men come true.

I think its time they started respecting the beliefs of others also.

Im not christian, actually im not religious at all. there is no place for it in my life. Ive been made an offer to come work there. i dont want to get married.

simply said to me could be 'well dont come then'. but if none of us came then the place would turn back to sand again!!
Smelly_Melly
Dubai Forum User

Nov 17, 2006
Smelly_Melly wrote:This is a real debatable topic i feel. As i come from a country where we respect people from all walks of life and their beliefs.

Simple fact is that the westerners are needed over there to make the crazy dreams of crazy men come true.

I think its time they started respecting the beliefs of others also.

Im not christian, actually im not religious at all. there is no place for it in my life. Ive been made an offer to come work there. i dont want to get married.

simply said to me could be 'well dont come then'. but if none of us came then the place would turn back to sand again!!

Smelly,

You want to come here to a foreign land, and take their money, why wouldn't you respect their culture and religeon?
I would say best you don't come, because when you get caught doing something that is against the law you will be the first one looking for sympathy.
If I come to Australia, I would most certainly respect the laws and traditions, and you would expect nothing less right???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 17, 2006
I can appreciate that it is a debatbale topic. As unreasonable as it seems, I still prefer to comply with the regulations, but the way of which the law is enforced appears to be unclear.

For example, how do they define "living"? If a female friend visits me at my apartment and there is no one else, is that in breach of the law even thought the female friend has her own place? I have been told that many expats like to share apartments, so is it against the law if a guy and a girl shares an apartment?

Thanks
Ansa
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Living with girlfriend Nov 17, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
Concord wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Just because you never read a story does not make the problem go away, I know of 3 couples in the last 10 years that have been caught under various circumstances, jailed and deported for living together without being married. 2 couples from UK, 1 couple from Lebanon

Great "know-it-all" :roll: :roll: :roll: Reading comprehension courses still available....
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

sage & onion wrote:Just because you never read a story does not make the problem go away, I know of 3 couples in the last 10 years that have been caught under various circumstances, jailed and deported for living together without being married. 2 couples from UK, 1 couple from Lebanon

Maybe it happened some long time ago, but if they stay together in Dubai now, they will not have any problems.
There was a very large article in the Gulf News some months ago (maybe someone finds it in the archive?), that stated, that although living together unmarried is considered a sin, this offence will not be prosecuted in Dubai any more (opposed to Ajman, Sharjah, Fujairah and AD).
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

bschmidt wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Just because you never read a story does not make the problem go away, I know of 3 couples in the last 10 years that have been caught under various circumstances, jailed and deported for living together without being married. 2 couples from UK, 1 couple from Lebanon

Maybe it happened some long time ago, but if they stay together in Dubai now, they will not have any problems.
There was a very large article in the Gulf News some months ago (maybe someone finds it in the archive?), that stated, that although living together unmarried is considered a sin, this offence will not be prosecuted in Dubai any more (opposed to Ajman, Sharjah, Fujairah and AD).

You are wrong and you have been warned.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:You are wrong and you have been warned.

So Gulf News and chief of police, who was interviewed in that article are wrong, sure... only sage & onion is right.... of course.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2006
Smelly_Melly wrote:Simple fact is that the westerners are needed over there to make the crazy dreams of crazy men come true.

Arabs have brain, skills and power as well. Westerners don't always make someone's dream come true. Your simple fact is CONCEITED. Brilliant yet low profile people are much appreciated in this land.

Anyway, back to the topic guys. :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

bschmidt wrote:
sage & onion wrote:You are wrong and you have been warned.

So Gulf News and chief of police, who was interviewed in that article are wrong, sure... only sage & onion is right.... of course.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

The law is the law, neither the Chief of Police nor Gulf News make the laws, if you are caught and refered to the Shariah Court you will most certainly be prosecuted and convicted.
As for who is right and wrong, advice is asked for and advice (based on many years experience in UAE) is given, your's is to take it or leave it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 19, 2006
S&O you are overly pedantic at times.

Yes you can state the law, but the law is not always enforced here. i/e. driving alongside a policeman at 150km in a 120 zone.

Same goes for living together - it happens and its ignored.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 19, 2006
yup, scarlet is right

some police guys wanted to race me once....police! and they wanted to race...thats illegal...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 19, 2006
You want to come here to a foreign land, and take their money, why wouldn't you respect their culture and religeon?
I would say best you don't come, because when you get caught doing something that is against the law you will be the first one looking for sympathy.
If I come to Australia, I would most certainly respect the laws and traditions, and you would expect nothing less right???[/quote]

Settle down tiger!!
Australia is extremely multicultural. Especially here in melbourne. In the city there would be more asians etc than white folk. But we are all equal. they have their ways and i have mine. what makes the place so special is that i can see all facets of life living in their own desired way and living peacefully (note im in melbourne not sydney).

Secondly, I said this topic was debatable, i never claimed to be right.

Thirdly, do you really think that all you westerners would be so welcome there if you werent needed there? Which is evident in the fact that if you cant be sponsored to come then your not welcome!!

Fourthly, just because I am not religious, dont mean I dont respect the rights of others who choose religion. Their business.

Fifthly, Take their money?? Do you save 100% of what you earn? I certainly dont. What i do is spend it on other services which is all part of creating an actively healthy economy. Which is why you all are needed there.

Finally, i will never live in Dubai not married cos it is against the law and I dont want to end up in some crazy arab prison. But my point in a 'debate' was to point out that in order for a multicultural society to work will be to accept people from all walks of life. And I was curious to hear what others opinions were on this matter.

Dont go assuming anything and suggesting that I dont come there when the reality is that you know nothing about me and probably never will.

Hey IM curious....Do you think its respectful to the locals to have a picture of obviously an arab with the facial features of mr bean? Dont get me wrong, i think its a funny picture. Just curious as to your opinion.
Smelly_Melly
Dubai Forum User

Nov 19, 2006
Anyway, i dont wish to argue with anyone on here. Its a forum so opinions are what its all about. And im just curious to hear those of others on the topic.

Like i said, i dont claim to be right, i dont even claim to strongly beleive for or against my original statement. I just like to know how people who are there and are exposed to this style of living feel about it.
Smelly_Melly
Dubai Forum User

Nov 19, 2006
scarlet wrote:S&O you are overly pedantic at times.

Yes you can state the law, but the law is not always enforced here. i/e. driving alongside a policeman at 150km in a 120 zone.

Scarlet, if that was the case I wouldn't advise against it, you are wrong when you say it is ignored, better to state that it is for the most point overlooked. If you get any kind of trouble with the Authorities and you are living together without being married, you will be in more serious trouble, thats a fact which cannot be ignored.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 19, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

Scarlet, if that was the case I wouldn't advise against it, you are wrong when you say it is ignored, better to state that it is for the most point overlooked. If you get any kind of trouble with the Authorities and you are living together without being married, you will be in more serious trouble, thats a fact which cannot be ignored.

If they enforced this law half of Jumeirah would be packing their bags and heading home. Again, simply not enough resources to apply this one.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 19, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

If they enforced this law half of Jumeirah would be packing their bags and heading home. Again, simply not enough resources to apply this one.

That's why I put it the way I did, you simply can't say it doesn't exist. It's never a problem until it's a problem, and then its a big one.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 19, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

That's why I put it the way I did, you simply can't say it doesn't exist. It's never a problem until it's a problem, and then its a big one.

I think the Department of Conservatism are realising slowly they need to bend a few rules and turn a few blind eyes to keep the people coming.
^ian^

Nov 19, 2006
boths sides have a point.

However, its akin to drinking and driving. You may always get away with it, there again you may not, because one day you, or someone else will slip up.

However, in the scenareo that one of these couples may one day piss someone off, and they phone the Police to shaft them, or you have a loud party and someone complains, then i am affraid Sage and Onion is totally correct, its adios DXB.

This is also relevant to people on here in that situation, it means keeping certain elements of your situation private, or one day some nutcase poster is going to dial DP.

We have already had a situation at a DF Meet and the subsequent "fall out". Lessons learnt i hope and please remember this is a Public Forum.
arniegang

Nov 20, 2006
Mostly expats are reading this forum and inquiring on the pros & cons.

At least sage is there to give informations & of course prevention of worst thing that might happened. Whether the law is strictly implemented or not, it is still the law and no one is above it.

It's not about being conservative and law abiding expats, I think sage's point is to let the expats know that there are laws, which we find a little odd. At the end of day, you'll be the one who will take the consequences of your actions.

At least, DF as whole didn't failed to let the person knows the pros & cons.

Remember: Ignorance of law excuses no one. Alright mate? :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 20, 2006
Arnie & ASC in a nutshell, thanks.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 20, 2006
There is no getting away from the fact that it is the law - but I do have to say in a country with over 80% expats (correct me if wrong) its seems rather backward to have such a law in effect - but at the same time as it's a islamic country and it's therefore under sharia law, they are hardly going to change it.

I would have thought to at least make an amendment where it applys to only muslims would be more effective, but I am hardly inline for a seat in the UAE council to push such a motion.

But laws are laws - there is still a law in england where if you see a welshmen in hereford market on a Saturday you are fully in the law to shoot them with a bow and arrow - not that many do mind you :)

I don't really feel eye to eye with folk not questioning aspects of Dubai Law and Culture. The UK gets a fair share of bashing in here and all over the interweb, I remember not so long ago the veil debate and the anger and outrage posted here and on other forums - if any had said 'you don't like it get out' there would have been a great backlash and claims religous descrimination. Granted un-married couples may not be of any religous denomintation - but that does not lesser there right to lead there life how they feel is right and honest for them to do so. But i am back to the beginning now and 'law is the law' has come back again and blubering a bit.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Nov 20, 2006
Was just thinking how do they prove that you are BF and GF - is it the four witnesses thing?

Or is it illegal full stop for two different sexs to live in the same property - which leads me to ask if anyone knows if a non-couple have been evicted for co-habiting but not co-bed sharing??
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Nov 20, 2006
Hey - just worked out why the word 'fun' keeps popping up :)

You learn something new everyday and its time i went to bed - on me own ;)
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum