Etisalat Al Shamil ADSL Help Needed...

Topic locked
Etisalat Al Shamil ADSL help needed... Oct 08, 2006
Hey all, im in a spot of trouble here, coz i have very little knowledge of networking and shtuuf, and for the life of me cant figure this one out..

Well, ive got a really big one storey house, 3 computers are at one place and connected to a Siemens Speedstream 6520 thing ( is it called a modem or a router??) thats connected to a 2 mb Al Shamil connection. Now, i need to provide internet in a room that is almost 15-17 meters away and i have to use the same Al Shamil connection.

My question is....can i fix a Multi phone line adapter at the point in the wall where the DSL line is connected to the Siemens thing, and attach another phone line there, to be connected to another modem/router in the room??? Or will that bugger up the whole setup???

In the worst case scenario...i can draw a standard Ethernet RJ45 cable all the way to the room, but its gonna be messy, and i havent seen any cables of this length or any extension kinda things around...

If i can connect another modem/router (which is it???) to the DSL line, will i have to do any fancy IP config like the Al Shamil guy did initially??? Coz i have no clue about all that...Also, will the two modems/router be on the same network???

Appreciate any info on the above an sorry for being sucha n00b... :P...

aecoss
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 08, 2006
Hi,

your best bet is to do the following.

You will not be able to use the multi-phone plug on ADSL unless its configured to use it.

For example: In the US, when DSL is installed and the person has a phone line too, they split the connection using a SPECIAL multi-phone dongle.

In your case, I would recommend getting a Wireless ADSL 4-port Router. That way all your headaches are gone in one stroke.

The above router will give you the ability to do the following:

1. Connect upto 4 computers ( Hard-wired into each of the 4 ports)
2. Connect a single computer (Hard-wired into 1 of the 4 ports)
3. The other computers can become wireless. If you have wireless that is on those machines. For PC's if you don't have wireless, you can get a Wireless PCI Card from stores like Plug-Ins, etc. If you're in the new age, your laptop (if you have one) should have wireless already built in.

Wireless will give you the ability to place your machine anywhere in the house.

However, with Wireless you have a few things you have to be aware of.

1. Since Wireless uses frequency, try and keep it away from Cordless/Wireless Phones
2. Keep the ADSL Wireless Router about 5-7 feet away from your electronics and PC.

Shoot this is turning out to be too long. lol

Another way is to keep your speedstream router and just get a 4 port Wireless Router. (mind you this is different from the ADSL Wireless Router. It is cheaper too).

The Ethernet connection will go from your Speedstream router into the Wireless Router. From there, you plug your PC into the Wireless router and follow the above steps.

Here are examples of what a Wireless ADSL router is and what a Wireless Router is. (The company that manufactures these particular ones is D-Link)

Wireless 4 Port ADSL Router - http://www.dlink-me.com/Products/Broadband/dslg624t.htm

Wireless 4 Port Router - http://www.dlink-me.com/Products/Wireless/DI624.htm

Step by Step on how to setup your wireless at home - http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredon ... setup.mspx

Another great Site if you will be using a Dlink product -
http://www.cruzio.com/support/docs/router_dlink.html

Questions, email me at nosoup4udubai@yahoo.com

PS, Hope I haven't confused you much :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Great Info.... Oct 08, 2006
Thanks a LOT DUDE!!

Now its pretty clear exactly what i have to do, coz i have like 3 USB wireless adapters lying around, and im thinking of connecting them to the other PCs.

However, in my room i have some really strange things like a homemade Tesla coil, and wierd rare earth magents and some electronic equipment...so Wireless is TOTALLY out of the question.

But what im gonna do now, is im gonna get a whole new 1 mb connection from Etisalat, and setup a separate ADSL router in the room. This way its easier, and will be probably MUCH MUCH easier in my house...lolll...

However, the info was really really great, and im kinda also thinking of putting wireless in the rest of the house...so thats gonna be really helpful...

Aryan
aecoss
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk