International Driving Pemit- Is It Valid In UAE?

Topic locked
International driving Pemit- Is it valid in UAE? Jul 03, 2007
hi all,

i would like to know if i can drive in dubai with an international driving permit issued from india.

regards,
thaddeus
India

tsftsf
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 03, 2007
Look inside the International Permit for the list of Countries that accept, I think you will find that UAE is one of them, take care however the International Permit will only be valid whilst you are on Visit Visa, if you get a residence visa you must get a UAE license.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 04, 2007
the international permit is also only valid whilst driving a rental car in dubai. when you get to dubai you can apply for a temporary licence valid for only 6 months, this can then be changed for a permenant (10 year) license when you have residency...

i'd aslo be vary regarding the indian origin. many countries can simply have their drivers licence exchanged (with an eye test) for a uae license, india is not one of those countries - and you would under normal circumstances have to re-take your driving tests to hold a vailid license. possibly check this fact with the indian consulate in dubai.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 04, 2007
Hi, if you have an international licence, you can rent and drive a vehicle here provided you are on a visit visa. Driving a vehicle that is not a rental is an offence, but it is mostly the vehicle owner who bears the brunt.
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 04, 2007
What's with the double post? Duh.

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=20305

avkurian wrote:Driving a vehicle that is not a rental is an offence, but it is mostly the vehicle owner who bears the brunt.

Insurance company told me police will confiscate vehicle if caught eg accident.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum