Foreign Debt

Topic locked
foreign debt Jun 20, 2010
I've been reading up on debt problems here in dubai and i wondered if anyone had any problems / dealings with debts incurred abroad? I divorced a year and half back and turns out my ex was ran up a bill on a card that i thought had been cancelled. all the bills and calls went to the ex who said I was in dubai escaping justice and I knew nothing of this until I got a call from a debt collector in bahrain about it, they said they will pass it to dubai. I can sort it out with my lawyer when i get home, but that isn't for another couple of weeks yet. How far can the debt collection agencies go with debt from another country?

TrekMan
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Foreign Debt Jun 20, 2010
The card was issued in Dubai or abroad ?

In Dubai best the banks can do is bounce your security check and file criminal case, and unless its a huge amount the coppers will just put in in their system, and you happen to come to attention will take you in. They will not actively persue you, unless a quite a big amount.

If abroad I really dont think they will anything at all. but dont take my word on it.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: foreign debt Jun 21, 2010
Depends on the amount! If it's a large amount, they certainly do and will come after you for it. It gets passed to international debts collectors, whoa re capable of issuing travel bans, red flags and tracking you to wherever you are.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Foreign Debt Jun 21, 2010
Hmm.. Its a US card and the amount is around $24,000 - about 88,000 dirhams. Thats a lot to me - is it a lot to them?
TrekMan
Dubai Forum Guest

Make the biatch pay for it !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

thats the plan - set attorney on her when I get back - but meanwhile - I need to make sure i can stay out of jail until I get my leave. You ain;t bee through hell till youve been divorced - if she has a better attorney that you you going to lose it all - and the witch never gives up, even after its supposed to be "all over" . never understimate how vicious a woman can be.

-- Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 pm --

Ah well, looks like I'm well and truly sorted out. I spent 500 dirhams, talked with a UAE lawyer and now know exactly where my feet touch the ground.

I've had the first full nights sleep in weeks.

Best 500 dirhams I've ever spent.
TrekMan
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum