Is Suicide Ever Worth It?

Topic locked
Is Suicide Ever Worth It? Dec 07, 2012
Do you thing suicide is ever justified?

You may have heard about the prank call from the Aussie DJs to the King Edward Hospital in London where HRH was confined with morning sickness.
Well it's with great sadness that I've heard that the nurse involved in giving out the information on Kate's condition has been found dead, having committed suicide.

I am quite sure the DJs will be absolutely gutted at the news as will the Royal couple. I hate to imagine what the poor nurse's family will be feeling right now.

I often think suicide is a cowards way out, but I've never been that desperate, ever. I think the balance of your mind must be altered.

What a sad state of affairs to be driven to this.

BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Is Suicide Ever Worth It? Dec 07, 2012
I heard about it...what a terrible story. Poor nurse. I am sure the DJ's did not intend for this to happen...but surely it must be in their minds that had they not pulled the prank she might still be alive..
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Is Suicide Ever Worth It? Dec 10, 2012
BMreformed wrote:I often think suicide is a cowards way out, but I've never been that desperate, ever. I think the balance of your mind must be altered.

As I understand it she leaves two children behind. It is the coward way out, but on top of that leaving children behind. It is hard to imagine.
I think the prank was fair game. I wonder how the hospital or the royal family for that matter reacted to it towards the nurse.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

its depends who you are really.

if you are a person that has responsibilities and are an asset to the communtiy , then NO. Dont do it. we love you too much.

if you are an asshole , criminal and have negative impact on the humanrace, then go for it!! we have 7 billion people living on this planet and growing exponentially. we dont need pricks!

Bossman
bossman
Dubai forums Addict

FlyingDutchman wrote:As I understand it she leaves two children behind. It is the coward way out, but on top of that leaving children behind. It is hard to imagine.
I think the prank was fair game. I wonder how the hospital or the royal family for that matter reacted to it towards the nurse.

From what I've read, the Duke of Cambridge wasn't too happy that his wife's condition was discussed with the fake Queen. I'm not surprised at that, he would have been very worried about his wife as she is in the very early stages of pregnancy. Apparently Prince Charles thought it was quite funny. The Palace did not make a complaint to the hospital.
It is also said that neither nurse was disiplined by the hospital. The hospital only complained to the radio station after the nurse committed suicide.

I watched the interview with the two presenters who made the call, this morning. I have to say I felt sorry for them. It's obvious that they are shattered about what happened as a result of their prank. As they pointed out, these types of pranks are played every day on stations all over the world. Its true, we have them in England and also TV series based on practical jokes but as far as I know, no-one died.

The nurse lived in hostel accomodation in London and her family in Bristol. There must have been other things going on with her. No one in their right mind kills themselves and leave two children behind because they were victim of a practical joke.

--- Dec 10, 2012 ---

bossman wrote:If you are an asshole , criminal and have negative impact on the humanrace, then go for it!! we have 7 billion people living on this planet and growing exponentially. we dont need pricks!

Bossman

The difficulty comes when you don't realise that you are an asshole.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Is Suicide Ever Worth It? Dec 11, 2012
BMreformed wrote:No one in their right mind kills themselves and leave two children behind because they were victim of a practical joke.
Totally agree, something is fishy here.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: Is Suicide Ever Worth It? Dec 11, 2012
Andyba wrote:
BMreformed wrote:No one in their right mind kills themselves and leave two children behind because they were victim of a practical joke.
Totally agree, something is fishy here.

Please elaborate.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Is Suicide Ever Worth It? Dec 12, 2012
She must have been facing some emotional trauma beforehand and this must have been the last straw... she just connected the call to the ward who gave out the info to the DJs... it seems amazing to take your life for something so trivial ... especially when you have kids...!!
shaze
Dubai Forums Member

BMreformed ,

that is very true , most mental patients believe that they are ok, and the rest of the world is crazy.
bossman
Dubai forums Addict

I agree. I'm convinced I'm surrounded by nutters.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Is Suicide Ever Worth It? Dec 13, 2012
bossman wrote:BMreformed ,

that is very true , most mental patients believe that they are ok, and the rest of the world is crazy.

I would like to bring a bit of nuance in that statement. I think high-fucntioning mental patients believe they are ok and do not think their actions are maladaptive. The classic drunkard under the bridge with two different socks knows somewhere something is wrong. A special category of mental patients are the high-fucntioning ones. If you have a good job, are financially sound, you can imagine enough arguments you are doing fine. These are the Narcissists and a group within the Autistic spectrum.
I think one main indication that one is not mentally ill is the ability of self-reflection (or being able to laugh at one self) and taking responsibility for your actions. Disordered people tend to blame everything and everyone, except themselves (this is mainly because of the intense shame that they cannot deal with, disordered people tend to get very angry when shown who they really are). Blaming and always playing the victim are maladaptive reactions. When somebody is making jokes about themselves, or appreciating jokes about them or their heritage, chances are they are not disordered.
Disordere people also believe that the RoW, others and society need to change to meet their desires.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Is Suicide Ever Worth It? Dec 14, 2012
The inquest on the nurses death was opened and adjourned today. She was found hanging from a wardrobe by a scarf with injuries to both wrists. She left 3 notes near by.

I guess it wasn't a cry for help then.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat