Crazy "justice" In The US

Topic locked
Crazy "justice" in the US Jul 27, 2011
This woman lost her son to a driver who admitted to have been drinking during the day and had been convicted for 2 previous hit-and-runs. For this crime he received a 6 month sentence. Read how the woman could have faced 3 years in jail, but was given a reduced sentence of a year on probation and community service.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mom ... 37121.html

Excerpts:
Nelson crossed a busy street between her bus stop and her apartment building with her three young children on a night last spring. Nelson and her four-year-old son, AJ, were hit by Jerry Guy, who admitted to drinking earlier that day and who had been convicted in two earlier hit-and-runs.

Guy served six months in prison for the crime. But then a jury convicted Nelson of vehicular homicide and jaywalking for not walking the three-tenths of a mile to the nearest crosswalk that night. She faced the possibility of serving six times the sentence of the man who ran over her child. (City planners have asked why a public bus stop would be located at such a great distance from a safely demarcated crosswalk in the first place.)

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Crazy "justice" in the US Jul 27, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:This woman lost her son to a driver who admitted to have been drinking during the day and had been convicted for 2 previous hit-and-runs.

I don't see any problem with judge at all. Despite all that sounds dangerous things it was not a fault of the driver if the irresponsible mother of 3 crossed the busy busy road in some not designated place. Probably there were no chance for driver to stop vehicle after the lady jumped under wheels. Drinking as well as previous deeds is not a proof.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Crazy "justice" In The US Jul 27, 2011
I also don't see it as crazy and have to agree with RC on this. Just today a friends case in Dubai was dismissed before it went to trial at the traffic court. Long story short, he ended up hitting a woman who jumped in front of his car. The prosector decided it was not his fault and the woman jumped the road.

For the record, no wasta was involved, none of them is Emarati or Arab or even and pleased to report justice was served.

I think the same logic applies here for the recent palm island accident where a child was killed due to the parents neglience.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

He gets 6 months for drinking and killling a kid, and she faces 3 years for jaywalking and faced with manslaughter?? Come on. Sorry it's just wrong in my opinion. City planners even question the placement of the bus stop from the crosswalk. Bus stops are generally closer to crosswalks to enable passengers to get off and walk across to the other side as opposed to having to walk a distance to cross over.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

law is $#it sometimes... and make no sense at all :s but here you go 1+1=2 ...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

But then a jury convicted Nelson of vehicular homicide and jaywalking for not walking the three-tenths of a mile to the nearest crosswalk that night.

It was the only reason for the accident, regardless of how minor it looks for someone. Crystal clear.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Yup very clear. It was just chance the guy involved was drinking ( the article doesn't state wether he was DUI or not ) could have very well have been a motorist with an impecable record.

And not that she got any hard time just a suspended sentence with some community time. You were much more adament the guy who was involved in the Palm case be sent to the gallows if I remember clearly.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Yup very clear. It was just chance the guy involved was drinking ( the article doesn't state wether he was DUI or not ) could have very well have been a motorist with an impecable record.

And not that she got any hard time just a suspended sentence with some community time. You were much more adament the guy who was involved in the Palm case be sent to the gallows if I remember clearly.

Errrr, read the article again DDS. He admitted that he had been drinking during the day and had two convictions for previous hit-and-runs. Admission and history on his part. Safe driver you think??? I guess the fact that he did hit someone (and killed the child in the process) and did not leave the scene of the accident put him in the right??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Crazy "justice" In The US Jul 28, 2011
Well the article fails to metion wheter he was DUI or not i.e over the legal limit or not just states he had been drinking. Most probably not DUI as he would have gotten a much stiffer penalty than just six months. His past records have nothing to do with this, he and as far as I'm aware if you've had a few but under the limit is perfectly legal to drive no matter how bad your previous driving record. Thats what the law of you're country says and not me.

The article also does not have any mention of driving recklessly, over speeding or anything out of the normal other than his past record to say that he was majorly responsible for this. God forbid if you hit someone who jumped in front of your car all of a sudden on SZR, whose fault would it be ?

Some people are stupid way beyond belief. just the other day someone related a story of a lady waiting at a zebra crossing for the lights to turn green. She was standing on the curb while the pram she was pushing WITH a baby inside was on the road !
desertdudeshj

Re: Crazy "justice" In The US Jul 28, 2011
Why would the baby be first to get hit surprise you DDS? Haven't you seen where they are also used as airbags. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Crazy "justice" in the US Jul 29, 2011
That little boy died because of his mother's poor decision. She is guilty, regardless of the driver's history, it doesn't look that he was intoxicated anyways.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Crazy "justice" In The US Jul 27, 2013
Yes driver should get more sentence than six month, but the women also did wrong. Both should get punishment. Once my friend also had same case, he wasn't walking properly, one drunk driver had hit him, there was no major injuries, but both got punishment. I asked to a lawyer in nebraska, he said dui nebraska law is like that, if a pedestrain doesnot walk in proper payment, he/she will get punishment when accident occurs.
georgegibson
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Crazy "justice" In The US Jul 29, 2013
georgegibson ,

So what is the point of dragging this up again????????????????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Crazy "justice" In The US Jul 29, 2013
Dear sage and onion, i shared my opinion and my friend's expereince. cheers.
georgegibson
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat