Car Accident Check/database/thinggy?

Topic locked
Car accident check/database/thinggy? Jul 21, 2010
Hey all. I am selling my Prado and the last tyre-kicker said it had been in an accident. Clearly I would know that it has not been. Is there any way to provide proof that a vehicle has/has not been in a crash? In Canada and the USA we have a service called Carcheck or Carproof or something. You provide the VIN and it checks a database against insurance companies and police depts. to see if there has been a report or insurance claim.

Anything like that here in the UAE?

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Car Accident Check/database/thinggy? Jul 21, 2010
rseholes here say that all the time just to try and squeeze the price down. Another favourite is to ask your very lazt price on the phone and then expect to start negotiating from there when they turn up to look at the car. They also have the nerve to come back after already squeezing several thousand off the asking price to complain about things that don't work. Like "my high beam doesn't work, how can I flash people on sheikh zayed road".
As far as I know, there is no database and it would not be an easy task to get crash records from the police. Couple that with potential rego plate changes and it becomes a nightmare.
However, just by looking closely around the car, your should be able to tell. Any paint or panels that are not perfect or have been tampered with indicate a repair. Look at the chassis for front end crashes. It should be perfect with no twists or dings. look at the door mounts for side impacts and inside the boot lining for rear end jobs.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

benwj wrote:rseholes here say that all the time just to try and squeeze the price down. Another favourite is to ask your very lazt price on the phone and then expect to start negotiating from there when they turn up to look at the car. They also have the nerve to come back after already squeezing several thousand off the asking price to complain about things that don't work. Like "my high beam doesn't work, how can I flash people on sheikh zayed road".
As far as I know, there is no database and it would not be an easy task to get crash records from the police. Couple that with potential rego plate changes and it becomes a nightmare.
However, just by looking closely around the car, your should be able to tell. Any paint or panels that are not perfect or have been tampered with indicate a repair. Look at the chassis for front end crashes. It should be perfect with no twists or dings. look at the door mounts for side impacts and inside the boot lining for rear end jobs.

You are so right. I am at the point where I will not even meet people anymore. They can come to me. How the hell can you negotiate a price without seeing it? Makes zero sense to me. People are welcome to take it to their shop for inspection if they wish (at their expense). I have nothing to hide. All the seams line up, I would just like to shut them up. people are such /tards/
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Unless you here an english voice at the other end of the phone, just end the call. You might feel bad for being rude, but you'll be better off in the long run.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

benwj wrote:Unless you here an english voice at the other end of the phone, just end the call. You might feel bad for being rude, but you'll be better off in the long run.

Hate to say it, but that how it has always worked out in the past.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Car Accident Check/database/thinggy? Jul 22, 2010
dubaidog wrote:
benwj wrote:Unless you here an english voice at the other end of the phone, just end the call. You might feel bad for being rude, but you'll be better off in the long run.

Mate

any mileage in contacting your insurance co for a letter saying no claim has been made ??
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Car accident check/database/thinggy? Jul 22, 2010
Or you could probably take it to a place like AAA just down the road in Rashidiya, get the guys to give it the once over and a letter statng there's no evidence of a prang.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

arniegang wrote:
dubaidog wrote:

Mate

any mileage in contacting your insurance co for a letter saying no claim has been made ??

Thought about that but was looking for something more "official". The thing in Canada is called CARFAX and is regarded as the bible for a vehicle's history.

TTYTT I think the guy yesterday was just being a wiener. I know my way around a buggy, and I don't see what he is talking about. Looks straight as an arrow I think.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Chocoholic wrote:Or you could probably take it to a place like AAA just down the road in Rashidiya, get the guys to give it the once over and a letter statng there's no evidence of a prang.

Biggest thugs on this side of the planet !

Dog, have you had this car since it was new, meaning your the first owner. If not there is a possiblity that it was dinged earlier and you just didn't know. Its very hard for an average person make out even a half decent repair job and a good one even to the trained eye.

I've been around garages all my life and even ran one for a couple of years, majority of our work was to straighten out insurance write offs from the US and Canada. Most of them went through on the technical test in one go, even the ones that had bad chassis damage.

Someone I know just bought SWB Prado VX 2009 with only 25k on the clock. Paperwork and milage checked out at Al Futtaim. But the moment I saw it I knew It had been rear ended. No matter how well you dent and paint. But bondo will always show up if you know how to look for it. Plus on the inner side of the gate they hadn't put the same amount of effort as the outside and there was slight overspray and didnt bother to sand the paint down.

Also if you want, although very hard to tell by pics, you can mail me close up pics of the suspected areas of your car and I can provide you with a semi expert opinion.

Anyways what I'm trying to say is don't dismiss the claim unless 100% sure for eg: you had the car since new.

Also its a very bad time to be selling cars. Its a buyers market out there with deals to be had. Plus summer time the markets even worse. if you can hang on, wait till the weather gets cooler. Usually prices of 4x4's pick up during the cooler months as more and more want to go out exploring and camping to the deserts and mountains.
desertdudeshj

Thanks a million for the pointers DDS. To be frank, I am not sure what I would take pics of? I think they are just trying me on. I think the real buyers will come out this weekend. Who looks at sleds during the day? Car dealers. The paint overspray I can see is inside the door, but it is where they oversprayed the rust proofing and touched it up.

I have not had it since new. i bought it in 2007 from Al Futtaim. So you are right, I should not dismiss 100% that it was not in an accident, but surely AF would have done a once-over before they bought it from the original owner? I've had the buggy checked by 3 different shops, and no report of a cover-up. Surely I would notice a shimmy or uneven tire wear or something?

Thanks again, I appreciate the input and offer.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

No worries mate, anytime. BTW the best time to have a once over is during the day. A real beauty by night could turn turd by day. If your ever buying, always try to have a once over during the day.
desertdudeshj

Re: Car accident check/database/thinggy? Jul 25, 2010
What have you got against AAA? Never had any issues with them.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Car accident check/database/thinggy? Jul 25, 2010
Chocoholic wrote:What have you got against AAA? Never had any issues with them.

Just...like...too many A's man!

Don't they have any E's?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Car Accident Check/database/thinggy? Jul 25, 2010
Where I am from, AAA is American Automobile Association. What is it here?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Car Accident Check/database/thinggy? Jul 25, 2010
dubaidog wrote:Where I am from, AAA is American Automobile Association. What is it here?

Arab Alcoholics Anonymous!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Car Accident Check/database/thinggy? Jul 26, 2010
dubaidog wrote:Where I am from, AAA is American Automobile Association. What is it here?

Not sure it stands for anything, maybe just named so it appears first if you are searching on-line.

http://aaaemirates.com/aboutus.html
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Car Accident Check/database/thinggy? Oct 04, 2013
dubaidog , claims are denied because we are not aware and automatically his/her policy has been modified or terminated.Most of the profession do not have sufficient time to verify.
messijack
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat