Are You A Healthy Eater?

Topic locked
Are you a healthy eater? Mar 30, 2013
I'm looking to change my diet by eating healthier.

I avoid red meat and get more protein from turkey.

But I'm curious what members here eat daily.

Are there any 'macrobiotic' fans?

I hear different things from different people what foods are healthy; some say avoid wheat but others say I need my whole grains.

Anyway, if you're a healthy eater, what do you eat?

rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? Mar 30, 2013
Many years ago, I happened to look through the definition of good health by the World Health Organization:"..a sense of physical, mental, and social well-being...." it said. I hope it remains the same today. I think its a very good guiding principal for leading one's life.

A lot of fads and fiction has grown around the "Healthy Living" industry eg this thing about avoiding wheat because of the way it is grown. There is no scientific fact to support this.

I believe in moderation. I am not a fan of any passing trend, past or present, and I am in fairly good health. I have modified my diet according to scientific facts as they became available, and currently this would be a combination of the macrobiotic and the paleo diets. In between I drink plenty of clean water. I avoid fizzy drinks and alcohol only very occasionally.

And last, but not the least, keep active: so excercise in any form. Even lifting your arm 3 times is considered as beneficial, to doing nothing at all. :D
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? Mar 31, 2013
Since I am preparing for a marathon, I am a conscious eater. Fruits, vegetables, dairy, chicken, pasta, rye bread and drinking lots of water and tea. My secret? Raw herring! Amongst others, good for Omega-3. There is a strong connection between Omega-3 (found in fat fish) and mental health. Where I am from we have a song:

"New herring, new herring, new herring, new herring has arrived, we donot need doctors anymore."

I also strongly believe in the strong interaction between body and mind.

I try to eat as natural as possible. I tend to acquire herring from restaurants where they offload the boat on the rear end and sell it in front for example. I like to get food from the farmer. Although of course I still get a lot from the supermarket.
The food industry and their lableling of organic/biologic food can be misleading. Here there is label for everything "original/natural". I know a farmer who produses 100% natural apple juice, no adjustments at all, no chemicals or ingredients added. His apple juice doesnot meet the requirements for the label natural apple juice for some reason, while other apple juice with extra ingedients/chemicals does.

Peace.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Are you a healthy eater? Mar 31, 2013
Interesting. I eat fish when I can, especially sushi. Unfortunately, Japanese food isn't as popular as Italian or Chinese so it's hard to eat regularly.

There are certain geographic regions, called blue zones, where life expectancy is around ten years longer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone

Each of these zones were found to have legume rich, plant based diets, though they all ate plenty of fish, such as Okinawa.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? Apr 03, 2013
I'm a short-medium distance sprinter, but I don't eat healthy. To be honest with you, I have very unhealthy eating habits. I eat whenever I want, sometimes I wake up at twelve and eat breakfast-followed by lunch at 4pm :D I eat whatever I want, I don't limit myself. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I ate a WHOLE apple or any fruit in that matter. I barely eat any greens. When I do eat healthy though, grilled salmon is a personal favorite and so is lamb. I don't think diet affects your performance as much as training does. Surprisingly though, I somehow manage to maintain decent six pack abs LOL
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Are you a healthy eater? Apr 13, 2013
Yes we are...
Gareth27
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? Apr 22, 2013
Healthy eating is very important for your healthy life... For healthy diet plan, acaifood.com could be the right place for you.
SarahK
Dubai Forum User

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? Apr 24, 2013
I am a healthy eater...of all the fast food places I have only ever been to McDonalds (once). And I am sure I am not missing anything...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Are you a healthy eater? Apr 29, 2013
In past few months I have tried to increase intake of fruits and fresh juices in my diet.
amal231
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, I am a healthy eater and always try to take fresh fruits and juices.
MarkHenry012
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? Apr 30, 2013
Beth only eats beige food.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? May 09, 2013
For protien I prefer boiled eggs white part and chicken or fish. Red meat is too much protien plus it increases colestrol level. Rest I prefer Fruits for vitamins and I dont take too much carbohydrates.
malikmudassar
Dubai forums Addict

malikmudassar ,Too much protein? LOL
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

prowheels , yes it is

I used to eat too much red meat it increased my belly size and decreased my performance brutely with my wife. Also the soft drinks gifted me a lot of extra pounds of weight now i am only taking organic food.
malikmudassar
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? May 10, 2013
malikmudassar , Well red meat is excellent, you just need to work out as well. You can't just eat red meat and expect nothing to happen. If you exercise then red meat is perfect for you.
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

prowheels , We have our own farm house for live stocks, so instead of chicken red meat is the most common and kind of necessary item considered in our menu. May be it is due to excessive eating. I am 5'8"es and almost 185 lbs which is not a proper proportion. I walk 5 Km a day doctor says i need to jog too. but i run out of breath very soon if I jog so currently staying low on food
malikmudassar
Dubai forums Addict

malikmudassar, the phone number you provided in one of your previous posts didnt come thru. Kindly check on it. thanks
wisenana
Dubai Forum Guest

wisenana ,

Please use alternate 056 2967492 or mail at malikmudassar at gmail.com
malikmudassar
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? May 11, 2013
Why dont you try hot water with lemon early morning by emty stomach for a month. You will see the change. You can add honey as well in it.

Best of luck Mr. Mudassar for you weight loss project.
Judij
BANNED

Judij ,

Thanks, I have a bet on loosing weight with a colleage in my office and I am sure I will win :)
malikmudassar
Dubai forums Addict

Best of Luck,

Keep it up, Once you win let me know how much u lost and through which strategy.

Will suggest some of our overweight uncles as well.

Cheers :)
Judij
BANNED

malikmudassar , If you want to jog for longer times, you need to make your body used to it. If you really want to lose weight, I suggest you etch out an excercise plan. You need to start it off slowly and with progressive overload, you can make you routines more intense. If you want me to elaborate on that, I can.
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

prowheels ,

Which park do you jog? May be I could use your help
malikmudassar
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? May 12, 2013
malikmudassar, I barely jog in parks. I normally run around my area, I guess you can call it urban exploration to a certain degree.

Sometimes however, I do run around Mamzar beach. They have a track next to the sea with labelled markings up to around 3km I think.

I normally do Interval training mixed with continuous training, circuit training and a bit of weight training here and there.
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Brilliant. Unfortunately I can't manage too much of time to spend on physical fitness. Al barsha Park is near to me so I walk n jog for like hour after office time.
malikmudassar
Dubai forums Addict

I eat anything and everything comes on my way, however i do gym so it keeps me fit
wishmaster
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? May 13, 2013
Rather than going to gym regularly, I often use my staircase instead of elevator it takes my breath away because my apartment is at 7 th floor. :) -malikmudassar

And Mamzar is the best place to have a fresh air, to do fishing in a blue moon, to have a saffron Tea with friends and to see early morning sun rise. As per my prospect it is best place to connect with the nature. -prowheels

I am also eating anything which comes in to my way but strictly vegetarian.-wishmaster
Judij
BANNED

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? May 13, 2013
You should try to avoid margarine! It's deadly!
Dubaifan33
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? May 14, 2013
Speaking of staircases, I occasionally run up and down stairs to build up cardiovascular fitness and muscular endurance in my quadriceps. It's also good for the core.

--- May 14, 2013 ---

Dubaifan33 , Why margarine in specific?
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Are You A Healthy Eater? May 15, 2013
Judij now you are trying to punish malikmudassar :)
SanaRabbani
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat