The Whole 2 Cheques 4 Cheques Thing...

Topic locked
the whole 2 cheques 4 cheques thing... Aug 24, 2009
Hi there I'm looking to rent next year a villa. I've seen that there tenants pay in numbers of cheques per year. Obviously 1, is the whole years rent in one go but if I can get the rents split into 2 or 4 is it better to post date them so that the landlords dont cash them in early. Secondly if it is 4 I assume that they're cashed in each quater, I'm just worried that you give a cheque to a landlord and he tries to cash in too early and it bounces!! Please help,
many thanks

Stuart

SMUNRO1970
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 26, 2009
If you give post dated cheques (which in itself is an illegal practice) they cannot cash them early, banks will not allow them to.

It used to be that landlords would demand a full year upfront, but the norm these days is 4 to 6 cheques over the course of the year. Many places are now also taking monthly payments.

Right now it's a renters market you can haggle away over cost and terms and conditions, because so many places are empty.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you, is not to let and agent or potential landlord bully you into something you're not happy with.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 27, 2009
thanks very much for that information. I feel more comfortable now about apporaching landlords knowing that I can get a better deal. MOnthly would be brilliant but 4-6 cheques a year would be fine too.

cheers

Stuart
SMUNRO1970
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai