Living Together And The Law

Topic locked
Living together and the law Dec 16, 2006
Hi all i new to this forum and looking for some awnsers. I am about to move to Dubai to live with my boyfriend who works for Emirates airlines. However i am currently married in the UK and a divorce seems a long way off.
I understand that i might be breaking the law in Dubai living in sin and also married to someone else, but how likely is this law to be enforced and what are the possible penalties if caught. Julie68

julie68
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Dec 16, 2006
A lot has been written about this subject.

Simple truth is you would be breaking the law, how well that law is enforced is difficult to say. What will also go against you if you do get a problem with the law is the fact that you are still married, adultery is a much bigger crime.

To tell you what the punishment may be is virtually impossible as it differs from case to case, but it can be very severe, for adultary several years in Prison.

Others may advise that it is not a problem, in then end it is all up to you.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 16, 2006
sage & onion wrote:A lot has been written about this subject.

Simple truth is you would be breaking the law, how well that law is enforced is difficult to say. What will also go against you if you do get a problem with the law is the fact that you are still married, adultery is a much bigger crime.

To tell you what the punishment may be is virtually impossible as it differs from case to case, but it can be very severe, for adultary several years in Prison.

you think ? I'm not sure ! I thought adultery needs to involve moeny to be questioned ! but im not sure.
well she wont be walking around with a married sign on her forhead LOOOL

have a nice stay in dubai
firefingers

Dec 17, 2006
sage & onion wrote:A lot has been written about this subject.

Like S&O said!!! It is illegal/punishable for two people who are not married to be staying together!!!But it does go on so its for you to decide!!!
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Living together and the law Dec 17, 2006
julie68 wrote:Hi all i new to this forum and looking for some awnsers. I am about to move to Dubai to live with my boyfriend who works for Emirates airlines. However i am currently married in the UK and a divorce seems a long way off.
I understand that i might be breaking the law in Dubai living in sin and also married to someone else, but how likely is this law to be enforced and what are the possible penalties if caught. Julie68

Its illegal but so is speeding. chances of getting caught are slim in my estimation. Unless you piss off someone enough to report you to the authorities. This is a lesser problem for western expats.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 17, 2006
Nobody is going to say "it's fine" because the law states it's "not fine".

The reality is... "it's fine" so long as you don't break any other laws and they throw the book at you.

This of course only applies to Dubai... Sharjah and Abu Dhabi are completely different. Ajman is so lawless, it's probably illegal not to do this in Ajman.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 17, 2006
^ian^ wrote: Ajman is so lawless, it's probably illegal not to do this in Ajman.

:lol: :lol:
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum