Find Successwith Nothing

Topic locked
Find successwith nothing Jan 12, 2012
I am at lost without knowing what to do. I live in USA with my husband. Alhamdullillah he works and so his low wages cover everything. I failed to get a job, especially when I wear a headscarf and do not have a car. I wish to do some business but lack some important knowledge and zero capital. I cannot move forward and work hard because I have nothing to start with. What can I do?

flowerpot
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Find Successwith Nothing Jan 12, 2012
You are sitting on a fortune.
professorgreen
BANNED

flowerpot ,

It seems like the headscarf is blocking your brogress in this world.
My advice: remove the headscarf, and go forth and conquer! I feel you will go far! :D
And good luck! :drunken:

BTW, dont tell your husband I told you this!
zonker
BANNED

do some online jobs PM me if u need any ideas about it

OMS
Mindnu
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mindnu ,

She's in the US. Are aware of the anti-Muslim sentiment there? For most Americans headscarf translates into "terrorist". Some years ago I'd seen it happen in Dubai where women were turned down for jobs because they wore a headscarf - obviously not for the same reasons Americans do.

--- Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:03 pm ---

flowerpot ,

Clearly it's a matter of discrimination, but you cannot prove it. No potential employer will ever tell you didn't get hired because you are Muslim - you are walking in basically advertising that you are Muslim. Without the headscarf potential employers may even surmise by your name that you are Muslim and still not hire you. Before 9/11 my husband "changed" his first name and it enabled him to have get more interviews and several offers. We left the US and returned after 9/11. I refused to allow him to going back using the American name he had used previously and he couldn't find a job, especially in an industry that is blue-eyed and blonde hair. Even using the "American name" as he did previously they would have figured out he was an Arab when he showed up for the interview - brown skin and his accent.

If you are applying for jobs where you would interact with the public or be in view of the public - such as sales - an employer could see his sales slip due to the loss of customers (ignorance). Because of the "fear" that government has instilled in non-Muslim Americans, and 9/11 still hangs like a cloud over the US, there is a strong anti-Muslim sentiment amongs Americans, which is not going to go away, if ever.

The only thing I can say is that the headscarf is not helping you. You may be been turned down by many although you were more than qualified for the job. Remove the "fear" or sentiment that they harbor by removing the headscarf. If you get a job, after you complete your probation and have proven yourself, have a better sense of your working environment, and if you feel comfortable enough, you can go back to wearing the headscarf, but be prepared for the possibility that they will look for a reason to terminate you. If you believe the termination was a result of your religion then you can file a discrimination suit against the company.

You need to decide if you want to continue to struggle because of a headscraf, or eat and stay above water by removing it. You will have to weigh just how important it is to you to wear the headscarf. Are you of the belief that It is mandatory for Muslim women to wear a headscarf? What is asked of you is to be modest, and you will never need to compromise your modesty. Have you tried going through your mosque? Are there any womens groups in your area that can help you out? You may try applying for a job in a call center/customer service area as they jobs that are behind the scenes with no exposure.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this, along with so many other people who don't deserve such treatment, but you have to face the reality.

Good luck to you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Well to my knowledge there are so many Muslim women wearing hijjab in USA doing jobs without much difficulties.. yes some complains exists here and there like flowerpot gone thru.. this is how the world works you must learn to cope with it..
Mindnu
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Well Mindnu, it would depend on locality. Just how vast is your knowledge about every state? Are you referring to Dearborn, Michigan? Do you live in the US, if so where? I'm not talking about a visit, I'm talking about living there.

Watch this, in particular the customers.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

yeh ive seen this vid before and you are right to your point!!
Mindnu
Dubai Forums Frequenter

professorgreen wrote:You are sitting on a fortune.

LOL. But we need a description or picture
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

drewpeacock ,

OK "Dr" Drew.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:drewpeacock ,

OK "Dr" Drew.

Good idea Bora. Also good avatar name.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Find Successwith Nothing Feb 13, 2012
I'm a neat friendly Muslimah and can mix with other race/religion. I tried to get a job at nearby stores and also a call center but failed. I am in late 40s and although I am smart but I cannot do anything because of no money. I need to get a used car for transport, pay for short courses (because its cheaper than degree). Most of all I need to fly home to see family and get some medicines. But life is weird when some people sit on their money until they die. And people like me crying for money to move forward but die failed. My point is never think that people who stuck in poverty because they are unintelligent but because lack of opportunities.
flowerpot
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat