The Al Nahayan Family And Islam

Topic locked
the Al Nahayan family and islam Feb 11, 2013
why is it that there is not democratic rule in uae? it's more like a dictatorship rule. The people should have a choice to vote too who they want for the betterment of the community.. Also i have noticed many people convert to islam to gain favours.. the cops are corrupt they favour the locals more.. i used to love this place until i came here.. i Hate the Uae now.. No doubt Dubai and abu dhabi are really beautiful but still there is more to a country than beauty.. and that's just 2 emirates out of 7.. Cant wait to leave this dumb boring country do other feel the same?

iliveinrak
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: The Al Nahayan Family And Islam Feb 11, 2013
What's keeping you?
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: The Al Nahayan Family And Islam Feb 11, 2013
Obivously If we could vote, that would mean more freedom of speech! Now now, we don't want that do we?
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: The Al Nahayan Family And Islam Feb 12, 2013
iliveinrak wrote:why is it that there is not democratic rule in uae? it's more like a dictatorship rule

The UAE came into existence as a sovereign country in 1971. Before that it was governed by the UK, primarily because this area was infested with pirates (and Ras al Khayma was Piracy Central :D ) who hampered British ships as they plied between India and Britain for commerce (17th to 19th centuries). It was known as the Pirate Coast at the time. The name was changed to Oman Trucial States when formal treaties were signed between Britain and the various Sheikhs.

British Prime Minister Harold Wilson and after him Edward Heath finally handed over to Sheikh Zayed when with their help a loose confederation was formed between the seven states that now form the UAE (1971).

This region was in utter poverty, and the only meaningful economic activity that took place was trading in pearls that were recovered in the calm seas of the Arabian Gulf, particularly off the Dubai coast. This trade began to dwindle after the second world war; then the Japanese came up with the idea of cultured pearls, and the final blow came when the Indian Government imposed restrictions on pearls trading.
Because of this poverty there was no education in the UAE. Sheikh Zayed himself used to say that he got his education in a Mosque and had studied only upto class 4. He also was not ashamed to admit that at the time when he became ruler, he used to walk barefoot, leading his camel on a rope!

After the oil boom from the 1970s on, Sheikh Zayed very wisely decided to spend their wealth on the building up of infrastructure, including education. With such a short history of developement, I think the UAE has done well.

However, to expect the UAE to behave like a mature democracy is a little unrealistic. There has been a very sudden jump from the 14th or 15th century to the 21st, thanks to Western managerial skills and modern Technology paid for by Petro-Dollars. While the infra-structure has raced ahead, the mind-set lags behind; a mind-set of authoritarianism mixed with an austere form of religion (Wahabi Islam). The region was also a thriving centre of slavery, which had to be abolished, which was one of the clauses written into the treaty with the British.

So, be patient it takes time. It may not be all smooth sailing though :D
FF2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Miles ahead of Pakistan though!
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: the Al Nahayan family and islam Feb 12, 2013
And what about the corruption why do the local authorities side the Muslim and locals more than the expat's? Thats not fair. Thats y i hate this country so much more and the religion too.
iliveinrak
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Why don't you go home?
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: The Al Nahayan Family And Islam Feb 13, 2013
iliveinrak wrote:And what about the corruption why do the local authorities side the Muslim and locals more than the expat's? Thats not fair. Thats y i hate this country so much more and the religion too.

maybe the local authorities side with locals (who are all Muslims), not Muslims in general... the religion has nothing to do with the local authority polictics... but if u just like hating in general u are welcome to hate it as well...

it seems you have a brush with the local authorities quite a lot to have experienced such discrimination here... why dont u try staying out of trouble for while... and breathe in breathe out...

and like BM says... GO HOME
shaze
Dubai Forums Member

Re: the Al Nahayan family and islam Feb 13, 2013
i havent had any bad brushes with the authorities i have met victims of them. And it's not that they side with locals it's Muslims i general. If a christian and a Muslim meet with an accident even if it's the muslim guys fault still the case will be ruled in the favor of the muslim guy.
iliveinrak
Dubai Expat Wannabe

iliveinrak wrote:i havent had any bad brushes with the authorities i have met victims of them. And it's not that they side with locals it's Muslims i general. If a christian and a Muslim meet with an accident even if it's the muslim guys fault still the case will be ruled in the favor of the muslim guy.

it seems u live in a different Dubai ... have lived here for a decade and never come across such discrimination... !!
shaze
Dubai Forums Member

As Shaze said, it has nothing to do with the religion, it's very normal in any country that they appreciate the locals, it's a human thing.
Melo
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat