Working In Dubai

Topic locked
Working in Dubai Sep 12, 2009
I am in currently in talks with a potential employer in Dubai. While searching for info on the internet I stumbled upon some do's & don'ts on work visas. Is it true that:
(a) Employer holds my passport
(b) I may not be allowed to leave Dubai for the 1st six months
(c) That I will need exit visa everytime I leave Dubai
(d) it is difficult for 50+ person to get a work visa?
I was planning on visiting my elderly father in India once or twice a month or if had a long weekend. That's the reason I was concerned about this policy.

Can any one please give me some pointers and give me any suggestions you may have?

PS is about 70K-80K pa the "normal" rent a 2 bedroom apartment?

SA
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 15, 2009
I am in currently in talks with a potential employer in Dubai. While searching for info on the internet I stumbled upon some do's & don'ts on work visas. Is it true that:
(a) Employer holds my passport

not legal, but yes it does happen

(b) I may not be allowed to leave Dubai for the 1st six months

once you have a reidency visa (valid for 3 years) you may come and go as many times as you want to

(c) That I will need exit visa everytime I leave Dubai

no, residency visa enables free travel in and out of the uae

(d) it is difficult for 50+ person to get a work visa?

perhaps difficult, but not prohibited by law; the upper age of employment is 60 years of age, thereafter you would only get a labour card with very specific and required credentials (and the relevant permission from the labour department)

I was planning on visiting my elderly father in India once or twice a month or if had a long weekend. That's the reason I was concerned about this policy.

its basically a 3 hour flight depending on where your'e headed, it would depend if you could afford to do it this often

Can any one please give me some pointers and give me any suggestions you may have?

PS is about 70K-80K pa the "normal" rent a 2 bedroom apartment?

about right at the moment
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai