Who Do You Work For? Would You Reccomend It?

Topic locked
Who do you work for? Would you reccomend it? Aug 18, 2007
I was hoping to get a discussion going that may be helpful to those looking for jobs or companies to work for. I have been using monstergulf.com & some recruitment companies, but not much luck. I would rather just contact the company directly.

Could you tell me the company you work for in Dubai & maybe include their website or contact info if they are a good company to work for.

Thanks in advance & hope this helps anyone looking for a job.

Ciao,
"Hark"

harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 18, 2007
I wouldn't expect much of a response to this question as a lot of people would like to keep who they work for anonymous.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 18, 2007
^ian^ wrote:I wouldn't expect much of a response to this question as a lot of people would like to keep who they work for anonymous.

Are there any companies in Dubai anyone can recommend working for? Perhaps you know a friend who likes a company he/she works for, or perhaps you met a stranger on the bus & you heard IBM was paying well for managers. Anything?

I don't want to be intrusive, just looking for advice before I select a company to find a job with.
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 18, 2007
come on pepole speak up
zierbox
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 18, 2007
You may want to approach this in a different way. Why don't you give us an idea of what your qualifications are and those of us who may know of some suitable openings can guide you in the right direction?
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 19, 2007
PrettyPenny wrote:You may want to approach this in a different way. Why don't you give us an idea of what your qualifications are and those of us who may know of some suitable openings can guide you in the right direction?

You bet!

HEre is my resume.

Kevin Harkness DOB: Nov 1983

OBJECTIVE –
Finding a career which exposes my resume to international work furthering my advancement in business & business experience. Working in a challenging & educational environment.

SKILLS – Excellent Sales & Negotiating Client Satisfaction & Appreciation Telemarketing & Phone Socially Active Organizational Computer Literate Microsoft Office Literate & Proficient
Management & Executive Management Exposure to Ownership
EDUCATION
University Of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Associate Degree/Business 2004
AWARDS IN CAREER
• Agent of the Year, Exit Realty International 2004 – 2006
• Realtor of the Year, SL Board of Realtors
• $37 Million USD in Closed Real Estate Transactions in 4 Years 2005
RELATED EXPERIENCE
Prudential Real Estate, Salt Lake City, UT
Realtor/Real Estate Consultant
Assisted both Residential & Commercial Clients in acquiring & selling real estate. Headed the Luxury Property development team in pursuing prestigious clientele. 2006 – Present
Exit Realty International, Salt Lake City, UT
Realtor/Real Estate Consultant/Coach/Manager
Trained & developed new talent. Coached & Mentored executives in the art of selling. Assisted both Residential & Commercial Clients in acquiring & selling real estate. 2002-2007
Hark Inc.
President/Director
Acquired investment properties for the purpose of rehabilitation, lease, or profit creation. Acted as sole director. 3 Employees 2003-Present
American Management Association, New York, NY
Operation Enterprise Consultant
Provided feedback to managing directors on the success experienced during seminars. Created & carried out presentations to senior executives which taught in areas of business & business management. 2001-2003
PUBLICATIONS AND PAPERS
• “Discovering & Creating a Successful Life”
Magazine Interview Broker/Agent Magazine, Salt Lake City, UT 2005
LANGUAGES
• English – native language
MEMBERSHIPS
• National Association Of Realtors (USA)
• SL Board Of Realtors (UT, USA)
• US National Million Dollar Club
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 19, 2007
Maybe you are a "boy genius" but your cv seems far fetched for a 24 year old. President, Director, teaching senior executies at 22 :shock:

Maybe you are and will have a good future in Dubai. Otherwise pray for a job as a real estate agent.

Good luck anyway.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 19, 2007
I thought that too. Maybe if you were 30 but not 24??
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 19, 2007
Yup, be an agent. Make more money than anyone of us here, perhaps and very possible.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Aug 19, 2007
i used to work for www.one.com in DIC... a danish company in hosting business and very nice people to work with. This was my first experience working with some European company but it was very nice.Now I know why everybody prefer to work for European comapnies.

I worked there for some more than 2 years and recently i joined Global Media in SAIF... very professional and nice staff. We celebrated Indian and Pak 60th birthday as we do in our countries.

I am lucky to have very good experiences in dubai regarding job :)
aarif
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2007
Concord wrote:Maybe you are a "boy genius" but your cv seems far fetched for a 24 year old. President, Director, teaching senior executies at 22 :shock:

Actually, started at 19! if you read it.

But yeah, Real Estate sales is the job... perhaps hit up Damac, although they expect their sales people to get results. True masters of the working interview :-)

I wouldn't expect a management position.
^ian^

Aug 19, 2007
I just read that he is president of Hark Inc, his own company(?) Why the heck would he ditch that for a craptastic job out here?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 19, 2007
gtmash wrote:I just read that he is president of Hark Inc, his own company(?) Why the heck would he ditch that for a craptastic job out here?

Perhaps to see the world? It's not always about money.
^ian^

Aug 19, 2007
gtmash wrote:I just read that he is president of Hark Inc, his own company(?) Why the heck would he ditch that for a craptastic job out here?

Didnt you see the headlines my friend " US housing slump "

Anyway Hark, if you promise to bring lots of money here, I am sure we can talk business !!
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Aug 19, 2007
I work for General Motors Middle East Operations, its a great place to work at, i know its not in your field, but has a really nice environment..

You might be able to work in sales at General Motors and they really need employees at the moment. You can contact them on 04-314 3333.
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 19, 2007
^ian^ wrote:

It's not always about money, so I run my own small outfit instead. He'd be doing the opposite.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 20, 2007
gtmash wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

It's not always about money, so I run my own small outfit instead. He'd be doing the opposite.

It is ALWAYS about money. Everything is.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2007
Concord wrote:
gtmash wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

It could be 90% about the money, but it's never ALWAYS about the money.
^ian^

Aug 20, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:
gtmash wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

The other 10% is about more money.

Many say "well, love, peace, health, religion, morals, etc. are not about money = bullsh!t"
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2007
Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:
gtmash wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

The other 10% is about more money.

Many say "well, love, peace, health, religion, morals, etc. are not about money = bullsh!t"

Ah yeah but what about experience? All people are here for varying reasons, and although money features on the list for most of them, the experience is also a reason.

Me, personally, you only live once they say, so I'm about having a good time. Of course, you need the bread to enjoy the jam.
^ian^

Aug 20, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Ah yeah but what about experience? All people are here for varying reasons, and although money features on the list for most of them, the experience is also a reason.

Me, personally, you only live once they say, so I'm about having a good time. Of course, you need the bread to enjoy the jam.

Yeah but even the experience is about money! I even know at least one fool who came here and makes less money than back where he is from and came for the experience. But only becuase he could afford to do it. Hence "about" money. Others come for the "experience" or to get "experience" so they can go back home and have a better salary (money). Some people settle into jobs that pay no money or even volunteer. Most volunteers I know either have the money (don't need the job) or the time (do not need to work because they have money) or can afford to volunteer (I have been on volunteer medical missions where we paid for the flights, accomodtions, food, etc. - so if you couldn't affort it you could not volunteer).

*waiting for the Mother Teresa response from someone.*
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2007
My resume is sometimes not always believable when you consider age a factor. But I can assure you it is quite accurate.
I was lucky enough to have a wealthy brother in law hook me up with my job at AMA in New York teaching classes. I looked older & was very well spoken & had many extra training classes during high school to further my resume & knowlegde of the business market.

Hark Inc is my company & I do make a decent living, however, it's not always about money. Exploring the globe & creating memories is more priceless than chasing the mighty dollar day in and day out.

I don't expect a manager position as I don't have a very lengthy education as of yet. BUT I feel my successful career in Real Estate should push me in to a job in real estate quite easily.

& YES!!! The US housing market is headed for the tanker(or is almost there)... The economy has turned sluggish, our president is an idiot, & where I live(Utah) the housing market has been on fire until this summer. It's time to take my "winnings" & go do something you can only do when you're young. Travel.

I appreciate all the tips & support. I can use it.
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 20, 2007
Try the major developers - damac, nakheel, emaar, dubai properties. there are plenty of others as well (look them up on AMEinfo.com) You can also try the big names in real estate - Landmark, Remax, Better Homes to name a few. Their websites will probably have a listing of any job vacancies.

Good luck :)
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2007
I know that people from at least 4 of the above companies frequent these forums on an almost daily basis.
^ian^

Aug 20, 2007
I met one girl a while back in Real Estate here, she was working like a dog but selling buildings and her monthly pay was well over AED100,000 there is money to be made, just make sure you are on the right commission structure.

I think the Real Estate market has slowed down in terms of sales, people aren’t buying multiple buildings at once anymore but the market still exists and isn’t tanking nearly as fast as I had hoped.

Good luck and I agree it isn’t just about the money, As long as you have enough to support your family/lifestyle the rest is fluff, I’d have potential to make more money at home than I do here but I needed a change.
[/u]
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 20, 2007
harkev wrote:My resume is sometimes not always believable when you consider age a factor. But I can assure you it is quite accurate.
I was lucky enough to have a wealthy brother in law hook me up with my job at AMA in New York teaching classes. I looked older & was very well spoken & had many extra training classes during high school to further my resume & knowlegde of the business market.

Hark Inc is my company & I do make a decent living, however, it's not always about money. Exploring the globe & creating memories is more priceless than chasing the mighty dollar day in and day out.

I don't expect a manager position as I don't have a very lengthy education as of yet. BUT I feel my successful career in Real Estate should push me in to a job in real estate quite easily.

& YES!!! The US housing market is headed for the tanker(or is almost there)... The economy has turned sluggish, our president is an idiot, & where I live(Utah) the housing market has been on fire until this summer. It's time to take my "winnings" & go do something you can only do when you're young. Travel.

I appreciate all the tips & support. I can use it.

What kind of deal can you get me on a house with prop. 10+ acres (wooded - no mines) in Utah?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2007
fayz wrote:I met one girl a while back in Real Estate here, she was working like a dog but selling buildings and her monthly pay was well over AED100,000 there is money to be made, just make sure you are on the right commission structure.

You can make some seriously stupid money, although it's not for everyone. You also need to look at it as a short term thing... because nothing lasts forever.
^ian^

Aug 20, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
fayz wrote:I met one girl a while back in Real Estate here, she was working like a dog but selling buildings and her monthly pay was well over AED100,000 there is money to be made, just make sure you are on the right commission structure.

You can make some seriously stupid money, although it's not for everyone. You also need to look at it as a short term thing... because nothing lasts forever.

totally agree, I would make a horrible salesman, more power to those that can, it isn't for me.

Also let's be honest, the op is only planning to move here because he's allowed to have multiple wives legally :P :lol: :P

....( for those that don't know Utah is the Mormon capital of US)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 20, 2007
DeeDee wrote:Try the major developers - damac, nakheel, emaar, dubai properties. there are plenty of others as well (look them up on AMEinfo.com) You can also try the big names in real estate - Landmark, Remax, Better Homes to name a few. Their websites will probably have a listing of any job vacancies.

Good luck :)

WOW Thank you. They all look extremely intrigueing to say the least. I appreaciate the pointers, specifically to Damac as it looks & reads just like the kind of thing I would be interested in.

"Hark"
harkev
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 20, 2007
fayz wrote: Also let's be honest, the op is only planning to move here because he's allowed to have multiple wives legally :P :lol: :P

....( for those that don't know Utah is the Mormon capital of US)

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you just blew it for me *see my previous post above*
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai