Salary Package Question

Topic locked
Salary package question Aug 24, 2009
I'm new to this website and have scoured it for the answer to this question but although similar, none cover what I need to know!

I have been offered a job in Dubai, package is:

36,000 AED per month
Return flights for myself and family
Private healthcare for myself and family

Does this sound like a good deal? Here in London I am Director level earning in excess of £100k basic.

Also, and very importantly, nothing has been mentioned regarding accommodation benefit or gym membership. Are these things standard for a salary package at this level? Is there anything else (school fees, etc) that I should be asking for at this negotiation stage that is common for this sort of salary package?

All replies gratefully received!

blueybluey
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Salary package question Aug 25, 2009
blueybluey wrote:I'm new to this website and have scoured it for the answer to this question but although similar, none cover what I need to know!

I have been offered a job in Dubai, package is:

36,000 AED per month
Return flights for myself and family
Private healthcare for myself and family

Does this sound like a good deal? Here in London I am Director level earning in excess of £100k basic.

Also, and very importantly, nothing has been mentioned regarding accommodation benefit or gym membership. Are these things standard for a salary package at this level? Is there anything else (school fees, etc) that I should be asking for at this negotiation stage that is common for this sort of salary package?

All replies gratefully received!

You say you make 100k yearly. So that is like 8300 GBP monthly which is around 50,000 AED monthly. So you are asking us if you should take a paycut???!!!
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 25, 2009
Dee70, it is actually £5900 per month as I am in the UK and therefore taxed at 40% so no, I'm not asking whether I should take a pay cut, the pay will work out almost exactly the same. My question, as per my original post, is regarding other benefits associated with a salary of that level, what benefits are standard, is there anything I should be asking for, for example, is an accommodation contribution the norm, etc. Any helpful advice gratefully received.
blueybluey
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 25, 2009
If your going to be making the same then why would you want to uproot yourself and your family and bring them to a strange land ? Specially in times like these. Unless you have a very strong feeling your going to be canned very soon.

Just doesn't make sense ?

As for benifits, gym membership WTF are you insane man, talk about rediculas expectations. If there were any they would have been mentioned but since nothing is 99% chance there arn't any.

There is no "common" package every company offers diffrent things, Nowadays during these tough economic times usually its just a lump sump all inclusive.

You 36k salary at the time of signing on the contract will be broken up into a 20 chunks with a basic of only 500dh per month with rest of it as allownaces.

If I were you I'd stay put where I was
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 25, 2009
Desertdudeshj, London company struggling so may well go under soon so yes there is an incentive to move. Re gym membership, it is included in my London package so a reasonable question I think! Re the salary, the 36K I refer to is in AED per month, what do you mean it is broken down into 20 and where on earth does 500dh come from? Excuse my ignorance but my ignorance is why I am seeking help from this forum!
blueybluey
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 25, 2009
Well if your going to get canned then sure go ahead.

There is a diffrence from the actual salary you get and the basic salary mentioned on your work contract. Your end of service benfits are calculated on you basic salary, so usally the employers try to keep this amount as low as possible.

500 was a sarcastic remark. Dont be surprised to see that your basic salary is stated as 10 or 15k and the rest as housing, transport etc etc allowances coming up to a total of 36k. For eg My wife basic salary is stated less than half she actually gets, but times were though and jobs scarce so we didn't make a big ruckus about it.

Many others have asked before you so there are a few breakdowns of approximate living costs here in dubai check them out,
desertdudeshj

Aug 25, 2009
It makes sense to move if you are in danger of losing your old job. The offer is okay but don't expect luxury. I would try to negotiate a bit because it is below market levels for directors. Also, seriously, don't go into a long discussion with them about a gym membership.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 25, 2009
I get it, gym membership is a no no, that's fine I just need to know what is usual and also of course unusual (gym!) before negotiating. There is no way we will accept if we will be in a loss situation so school fees and housing are essential. Thank for your help!
blueybluey
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 26, 2009
Exactly right. In your case you should ask for housing and at the very least a percentage of school fees. If it's a decent company, they should consider it reasonable.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
Thank you, I have had some really negative replies which, if posting an unrealistic question I can understand so thanks for being so helpful, I feel in a much better position now.
blueybluey
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 26, 2009
Yes Blue set aside around 10k for quality cotton T-shirts
desertdudeshj

Aug 26, 2009
hey it's worth it with the after sale service and delievered on time to deal with the summer heat.

i'll take 10K worth as well. pls ship to me and i'll pay COD
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
Hmmm....I wonder what an after sale service for a T-Shirt is ?
desertdudeshj

Aug 31, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Hmmm....I wonder what an after sale service for a T-Shirt is ?

massage?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai