Ramadan Work Schedule

Topic locked
Ramadan work schedule Sep 20, 2006
My company has just released our ramadan work schedule, 8AM-3:30PM for muslims, 8AM-6PM for non-muslims... I though it was the same sched for both? Or is this the 'new trend?
I know it's a muslim holiday but... :?

pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Re: Ramadan work schedule Sep 20, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:My company has just released our ramadan work schedule, 8AM-3:30PM for muslims, 8AM-6PM for non-muslims... I though it was the same sched for both? Or is this the 'new trend?

Ours is 9 til 3 regardless of what you call god. I think it's up to the company's discretion with non-muslims.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Ramadan work schedule Sep 20, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:8AM-3:30PM for muslims, 8AM-6PM for non-muslims

What hours would you normally work??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 20, 2006
in our office timings have been reduced for all staff ... regardless of religion.... :cheers:
Eros
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 20, 2006
Legally, nobodody's working day should exceed 6 hours, regardless of their religion...
Princess Banana Hammock
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 20, 2006
Hey pinoy1, Ramadan work timing really depends on the company. For us, Muslims will get 2 hours less working hours (regular timing is 8-4, then they'll just work 8-2) and for Non-Muslims - well, regular working hours!
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 20, 2006
we are working from 8 to 5 so i guess no ramadan for us.

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 20, 2006
I wish I'd feel sad and envious after reading the above posts but I've reached a state where I am just like "what's the point?" every time I deal with things like this... It'll be 8h30 to 19h as usual for me...

In any case, I am going to Oman on Wednesday and I am pretty sure my customer's company is 100% muslim so I'll most prolly be fasting with them whether I like it or not. Good thing they close at 14h...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 20, 2006
Princess Banana Hammock wrote:Legally, nobodody's working day should exceed 6 hours, regardless of their religion...

PBH is correct, legally speaking it is 6 hours for all
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 20, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
Princess Banana Hammock wrote:Legally, nobodody's working day should exceed 6 hours, regardless of their religion...

regs. state two hours shorter per day than normal (for all), depends on your working hours; most ofice workers normally have a 48 hour week, restraurant and service industries have a 54 hour week.

it may aslo vary as some companies have instituted a 2 day weekend, but to compensate for the loss of man hours have increased the working hours over the 5 days.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 20, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

:cry:
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 20, 2006
does this mean i can sue my boss...err my ex boss?

we would end up working 2-3 day shifts sometimes :cry:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 20, 2006
Legally its 6 hours for all. Some people at our offices do that, others fast and work 8 hours. I understand that during Ramadan we are supposed to fast and continue our lives as normal. Its not supposed to be a holiday, that wasn't the reason it was introduced. So why people work for 6 hours is beyond me. Anyway, thats just a personal opinion. I understand that it can be taxing on ones energies.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 20, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

regs. state two hours shorter per day than normal (for all), depends on your working hours; most ofice workers normally have a 48 hour week, restraurant and service industries have a 54 hour week.

it may aslo vary as some companies have instituted a 2 day weekend, but to compensate for the loss of man hours have increased the working hours over the 5 days.

Is not the official working weeh 48 hours for all?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 20, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
dbxsoul wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Is not the official working weeh 48 hours for all?

Good point about the new 5 day week, our company for instance does 9 1/2 per day so we in theory should be 7 1/2 per day
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 20, 2006
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10735

if you check out the labour contract - point 10 the contractual working week used to be 48 hours (6 days times 8 hours a day), with the exception of security, hospitality, hotels etc where it was 54 hours (6 days times 9 hours a day).

with the introduction of the 2 day weekend, many companies now have a productivity problem, as you have to work about 9.5 hours a day to get 48 hours a week (for normal staff) and about 10.5 hours a day for hotel staff - this is exclusive of their lunch breaks etc. so someone in the hotel industry could easily pull a 12 hour day - if they wanted a 2 day weekend!

the law does not state 6 hour days - it states reduced by 2 hours per day - but this was actually based on the old model of a 6 day working week of 8 hours a day:

Article 65

“The maximum or normal working hours for adult employees shall be eight hours per day or forty eight hours per week. However, working hours may be increased to nine hours per day for people employed in trading, hotels, cafes, guarding, restaurants and other jobs that may be added by a decision from the Minister of Labour & Social Affairs. The daily working hours may also be reduced with regard to onerous or harmful jobs by a decision from the Minister of Labour & Social Affairs and the ordinary working hours shall be reduced by two hours during Ramadan.

The time which the employee spends on his way to and from the place of work shall not be included in the working hours.”
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 20, 2006
yes 6 hours by law. But i have heard of companies that will give the non-muslims the option of working normal hours and getting days off for Xmas which is not an official public holiday.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 20, 2006
Good point maad. My employer is Christian so we get days off for Easter and Christmas but full hours in Ramadan 9.5 hrs per day
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 20, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10735

if you check out the labour contract - point 10 the contractual working week used to be 48 hours (6 days times 8 hours a day), with the exception of security, hospitality, hotels etc where it was 54 hours (6 days times 9 hours a day).

with the introduction of the 2 day weekend, many companies now have a productivity problem, as you have to work about 9.5 hours a day to get 48 hours a week (for normal staff) and about 10.5 hours a day for hotel staff - this is exclusive of their lunch breaks etc. so someone in the hotel industry could easily pull a 12 hour day - if they wanted a 2 day weekend!

the law does not state 6 hour days - it states reduced by 2 hours per day - but this was actually based on the old model of a 6 day working week of 8 hours a day:

Article 65

“The maximum or normal working hours for adult employees shall be eight hours per day or forty eight hours per week. However, working hours may be increased to nine hours per day for people employed in trading, hotels, cafes, guarding, restaurants and other jobs that may be added by a decision from the Minister of Labour & Social Affairs. The daily working hours may also be reduced with regard to onerous or harmful jobs by a decision from the Minister of Labour & Social Affairs and the ordinary working hours shall be reduced by two hours during Ramadan.

The time which the employee spends on his way to and from the place of work shall not be included in the working hours.”

Very good explanation DBX, should be interesting where we go from here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 21, 2006
Shit, 9.5 hours/day just to have a weekend - that's a rip.

My normal work week is only 37.5hrs and now its down to 29.5 hours - joy.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 21, 2006
scarlet wrote:Good point maad. My employer is Christian so we get days off for Easter and Christmas but full hours in Ramadan 9.5 hrs per day

I think this is one of the advantages of working for an MNC, you still get to have your cake and eat it too.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Ramadan work schedule Sep 21, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:My company has just released our ramadan work schedule, 8AM-3:30PM for muslims, 8AM-6PM for non-muslims... I though it was the same sched for both? Or is this the 'new trend?

Well mine is from 8AM-3PM yet I reach the office around 9 and leave around 2 !!! :lol: :lol:

I know for sure that according to law all staff should get the same working hours in Ramadan regardless of ur religion !! yet it is not followed in most of the companies like mine !!

:evil:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Re: Ramadan work schedule Sep 21, 2006
Palkid7 wrote:

Well mine is from 8AM-3PM yet I reach the office around 9 and leave around 2 !!! :lol: :lol:

I know for sure that according to law all staff should get the same working hours in Ramadan regardless of ur religion !! yet it is not followed in most of the companies like mine !!

:evil:

Hopefully you won't complain when they give you the boot :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 21, 2006
nah don't worry ma8 i only do it when there is no much of work to be done !! when i have something to do sometimes I stay for overtime !!! 8)
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Sep 21, 2006
Palkid7 wrote:nah don't worry ma8 i only do it when there is no much of work to be done !! when i have something to do sometimes I stay for overtime !!! 8)

Paid overtime :?: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 21, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
Palkid7 wrote:nah don't worry ma8 i only do it when there is no much of work to be done !! when i have something to do sometimes I stay for overtime !!! 8)

Not really, i get extra days off for overtime !!!
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Sep 21, 2006
Palkid7 wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Not really, i get extra days off for overtime !!!

Can you send me an application form please?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 21, 2006
y ??
interested in applying here ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Sep 21, 2006
Palkid7 wrote:y ??
interested in applying here ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

5 hours a day and days off in lieu of overtime sounds like my kind of job
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 21, 2006
hahahhahahahaha
well u have to be a person who has suffered, and is ready to suffer anytime for the rest of ur life !!! (so can u guess the job) ???
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai