Obtaining Employment Visa, No UAE Embassy Nearby?

Topic locked
Obtaining employment visa, no UAE embassy nearby? Jan 18, 2009
Tried searching, but didn't find the answer. So, small question...

If I get a job offer and accept it, do I need to personally visit UAE embassy somewhere in order to be able to retrieve the employment visa (or whatever it's called)?

When I was visiting Dubai few times before, I was able to get 'electronic' visa (as they called it) - hotel would sponsor me, I'd get a copy via fax/email, and visa would be waiting at the airport.

Is it possible with employment visa too? Or could original be mailed via DHL/etc to me?

Thanks.

senti
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 18, 2009
If you have been offered a job, the company is supposed to arrange the employment visa (not the same as the work permit labour card which is dealt with after you arrive) and send you a copy. The original will be waiting for collection at Dubai airport. If a company or recruitment agency tells you you have to pay fees, then it could be a scam.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 18, 2009
Thank you for the answer, much appreciated.
senti
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 20, 2009
Good one bonk, the other issue may be the attestation of your qualifications, which will have to be done through a UAE consulate in the country where the qualifications were obtained.

If there is no UAE consulate in the country where you are you can have attestations done at most GCC country consuls (or embassy’s) - KSA, Oman etc. as they are recognised through the region.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 21, 2009
dbxsoul wrote:Good one bonk, the other issue may be the attestation of your qualifications, which will have to be done through a UAE consulate in the country where the qualifications were obtained.

If there is no UAE consulate in the country where you are you can have attestations done at most GCC country consuls (or embassy’s) - KSA, Oman etc. as they are recognised through the region.

Attestation of qualifications? Not sure I understand. If large private company wants to employ me (based on my work experience and expertise, not based on my education/diploma), what "attestation" is required?

Thanks.
senti
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 21, 2009
It does not work like that in the UAE or any of the other GCC states. All expatriates that are being employed or offered positions have to have a tertiary educational qualification. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but normally only unskilled labour and artisans will be permitted to work in the country with no educational qualification or limited educational qualifications.

The general rule of thumb is: if you are from a “western” or first world country the minimum qualification is a high school completion certificate, they would of course prefer a degree of some kind and is it definitely career specific – i.e. if you are an architect you have to have an architectural qualification, business person a BCom or similar…

If you hold a passport from an “eastern” country such as Pakistan, India, Philippines, Sri Lanka etc. Then the minimum qualification is a 3 or 4 year university degree. This is irrespective of whether you plan on working as a receptionist/ secretary or in a skilled field!

Yes the policy is unfair and probably racist, but it is the rule and is law.

Attestation is simply the process of having your qualification confirmed by the country which issued it (educational department, then foreign department) and then the UAE consulate in the country in which it was issued. In the past there was a roaring trade in illegal qualifications, hence the standardisation and process of attestation.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai