Moving To Dubai - Please Advise

Topic locked
Moving to Dubai - please advise Nov 26, 2010
Hii,

My company is relocating me to Dubai Office in a couple of weeks.Considering that I am an Electrical Engineer (PAK ) with total prior experience of 1.5 years (as Sales Engineer in KSA),Please advise if the offered package is worth coming to DUBAI:
Per Month:
Basic 6K
Housing - 2.5K
Transport - 1.5k + Gas (on actual)
Mobile - 250 AED

Plus Ticket+Insurance + vacation and EOS benefits.

Also I have a valid Saudi Driving License.Please advise If i can drive in UAE with my Saudi License.Would getting a International License from KSA help ??

I intent to rent a car as my job(Sales Engineer) would require frequent movements across the city.Please advise If i can manage a small car within 1500 AED.(rent a car with insurance)

Beside the package discussed above,any other things that i should ask my company to add up in my compensation ??

thanks and Tc

FJN
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Moving To Dubai - Please Advise Nov 26, 2010
What is a "Sales Engineer"? I apologize, but is that the same as a sales person? IMO, it's not much of a package. You would really struggle to live on that. Obviously your travel allowance will go towards the car rental. You will be able to get a studio for that housing allowance, and possibly a small 1 bedroom, depending on the location. You also have to factor in monthly water and electrical charges. What about furniture? Will you have to purchase it or will they be giving you a furniture allowance? TBH, if they do, I'm sure it's not going to be very much since the package is not very attractive. Food is very expensive here - well that depends on what you eat, but in any event it's still expensive.

How does the offer compare to what you are on in SA?

As for a driving license, I can't say, but I think you would be required to have a UAE license. Possibly it would be easy to obtain if you have an international license.

There have been several queries by people thinking about moving to Dubai and packages they were being offered. Do a search.

Good luck to you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Moving To Dubai - Please Advise Nov 26, 2010
10k all inclusive is all right for a single person or even just a couple, rents are cheap and almost sinfully cheap in Sharjah ( as low as 9k for a studio in some places in sharjah )if you don't mind the commute. Save up and a get a cheap banger. Plenty of deals going on 2nd hand cars. You can get a decent economical ride with in a budget of 10 to 15k.

You can drive on a Saudi license here, there was a time it was straight swap from GCC to UAE but look into it.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Moving To Dubai - Please Advise Nov 28, 2010
@dude...
Thanks for the advice.As my office location is HOR AL ANZ -east , staying in Sharjah is a tempting option for me as its very to sharjah highway (which means easy commutation ).Please advise if otherwise.Also considering my office location ,could you please advise some convenient locations that i should target for my apartment.

@BORA,
Sales Engineer is basically an engineer responsible for sales and marketing of some technical products that require an engineering background.In my case it is Power Cables.

In your opinion what would be a reasonable pacakage for my position? Considering my total work experience is only about 1.5 years.The final pacakage being offered is 11k+ gas+ tickets + medical + commission . I am thinking of accepting the offer.Furnishing allowance is not applicable for this position as you would understand that its quite a Junior position.
Also I have heard that Dubai has 4 SALIKs on major thorughways .Can you please advise if they are easily avoidable or should I ask my company for certain allowance to cater this cost?
FJN
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Moving To Dubai - Please Advise Nov 28, 2010
Well don't get too excited about the highyway. Its a parking lot during most of the day. But if you live in Sharjah and work in Hor al Anz. There is no way you can miss the traffic. As both areas are heavily congested.

Once your here for a while and after a little trial and error you'll figure out the easiet and fastest route. But if you stick to the shortest, it will be the longest. Time wise.
desertdudeshj

Re: Moving To Dubai - Please Advise Nov 29, 2010
If I am intending to stay in DUBAI, what areas would you suggest,considering my office location.I would be looking for some studio or a single room in the range of 2k .
FJN
Dubai Forum Guest

Hor Al Anz.
desertdudeshj

FJN wrote:@dude...
Thanks for the advice.As my office location is HOR AL ANZ -east , staying in Sharjah is a tempting option for me as its very to sharjah highway (which means easy commutation ).Please advise if otherwise.Also considering my office location ,could you please advise some convenient locations that i should target for my apartment.

@BORA,
Sales Engineer is basically an engineer responsible for sales and marketing of some technical products that require an engineering background.In my case it is Power Cables.

In your opinion what would be a reasonable pacakage for my position? Considering my total work experience is only about 1.5 years.The final pacakage being offered is 11k+ gas+ tickets + medical + commission . I am thinking of accepting the offer.Furnishing allowance is not applicable for this position as you would understand that its quite a Junior position.
Also I have heard that Dubai has 4 SALIKs on major thorughways .Can you please advise if they are easily avoidable or should I ask my company for certain allowance to cater this cost?

OK, background is important. You should be able to survive on that. With Salik, I believe that once you pass one, the next one is "free" - going in one direction. Eventually you learn the "short cuts", but as DDS said, the shortest way can be the longest, because everyone else is trying to avoid the Salik. Could cost you more in petrol sitting or crawling in traffic. Until you get on your feet and save some money to furnish an apartment you may consider sharing accommodation.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Moving to Dubai - please advise Dec 09, 2010
This is wonderful
radom
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Moving To Dubai - Please Advise Apr 01, 2011
desertdudeshj wrote:Hor Al Anz.

Do you know which area could I stay with my dog safely and nicely not too expensive but neighbour (not scream about dog issue?) I am planning to move to dubai and bring my senior dog. Big thanks!!! :bounce:
puppyLove
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Moving To Dubai - Please Advise Apr 02, 2011
puppyLove wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Hor Al Anz.

Do you know which area could I stay with my dog safely and nicely not too expensive but neighbour (not scream about dog issue?) I am planning to move to dubai and bring my senior dog. Big thanks!!! :bounce:

Most apartment buildings do not allow dogs. It would not be a problem with a villa, but that will probably be out of your price range. Way out of your price range. I would suggest that you settle in Dubai first, and if it is possible, then send for your dog.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai