Live To Work Or Work To Live!

Topic locked
Live to work or work to live! Jan 29, 2009
Hmmm okay, so here's something I'd like opinions on. I just quit my job, because I'm not a 10 hour a day, chained to a desk kinda gal! Okay the money is good and so are the benefits, but what is the point if you're unhappy and dread going in every day?

I'm going back to what I used to do, less hours, less money, but it's something I really really enjoy doing and get a buzz and satisfaction out of.

Is it worth killing yourself for work? Or would you rather be one of the fortunate ones who say they love their job.

For me it's not all about the money, it's about job satisfaction.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 29, 2009
AGREED 100% CHOCS!!!
Good for you! Life is too short.

Think I will be doing the same sometime soon!!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
Well I think you did right thing.
Like my passion is my profession, so end of the day I don’t see how much I earn I just see that how much I enjoy my work.
Love your job and enjoy your work, money will come after you.
wishmaster
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 29, 2009
bold move! excellent. something I always dream of - but can't yet because of commitments have to take care of....and am sure there are a lot of people in the same boat.

One fact though - From other's experience and mine, the people who are the most well paid and have climbed up the ladder are the least satisfied in all respects than those who are at lower positions.

All the best!
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 29, 2009
Yeah I hear you! I know people who have cash coming out of their ears, nice house, car, etc etc, but are miserable as hell. What's the point in that?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Live to work or work to live! Jan 29, 2009
Chocoholic wrote: I'm going back to what I used to do, less hours, less money, but it's something I really really enjoy doing and get a buzz and satisfaction out of.

Is it worth killing yourself for work? Or would you rather be one of the fortunate ones who say they love their job.

Way to go! Image
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
The reason what made me stay for the past 7 years with the same company because.. I love my work place and I love what I do... my pay is low compared to the market... however, as far it pays the bills, being single and young... I dont have real worries.

I 100% support your move chocos... very brave move.

A friend of mine, quit his high pay 8-hours job for exactly the same reason... he is now a very popular Salsa dance instructor in Dubai... when I meet with him he is not anymore the same person who used to complain... he turned out fresh, happy and full of life.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Jan 29, 2009
ohh this is so cute..

someone is trying to fix her moral values after the damage she did to her reputation all over the DF... good move choc but I'm not buying it..
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 29, 2009
I have been planning my escape from the present slave driver too.

It starts on the 1st February with a new company, that I am a partner in, in a new office, a new start but in an industry I know inside out and knows me...

Good for you Chocs!

We'll have a coffee and discuss!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Chocoholic wrote:Hmmm okay, so here's something I'd like opinions on. I just quit my job, because I'm not a 10 hour a day, chained to a desk kinda gal! Okay the money is good and so are the benefits, but what is the point if you're unhappy and dread going in every day?

I'm going back to what I used to do, less hours, less money, but it's something I really really enjoy doing and get a buzz and satisfaction out of.

Good for you hun! I think this calls for a celebration :oops:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Chocoholic wrote:Hmmm okay, so here's something I'd like opinions on. I just quit my job, because I'm not a 10 hour a day, chained to a desk kinda gal! Okay the money is good and so are the benefits, but what is the point if you're unhappy and dread going in every day?

good for u that u can enjoy again what u were missing but....not every body can do the same......

some of us have responsibilities and comitments which we cant just let go for our selves,,,,

what u did is from an indivisual point of view.....

but we cant wave off the fact that extra cash is always welcomed if it comes to a person who is supporting a family...

so self satisfaction comes last.

I love and hate my job at the same time......and the best thing for me in life is the happiness i cud buy and give my family.....so i am enjoyin my work.
daisy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2009
Good for you Chocs, good luck in your new job.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 29, 2009
cheers!!!!!

no way to regret!!!!

enjoy the new job!!!!!!

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:ohh this is so cute..

someone is trying to fix her moral values after the damage she did to her reputation all over the DF... good move choc but I'm not buying it..

Moral values????? I'm surprised you can spell it....LOOOOOOL!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
I do have commitments, but so long as I can cover them then it's fine.

Actually it's a new/old job kinda situation.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:ohh this is so cute..

Hardly. And I'm breaking free from contraints and being myself.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 29, 2009
Its always difficult to make head and heart decisions.

You have chosen wisely Chocs - good on ya and respect
arniegang

Jan 29, 2009
Way to go Choco, bold move, but hapiness is everything!

I did the same thing but different. I quite my job after I received a permanent offer from my employer. Its was non-negotiable. No way for a company to hold on to workers with this kind of attitude. I just left!

Took one year of 'sabbatical', because I wanted to know what I really want after several years of exciting study internships and jobs. I just didnt know what I wanted!!! Now I now.

In this year I've studied the credit crisis and transformed the house and kitchen of my divorced mother to 20th century standards. She is happy now, and I've started applying this month in international waters...

I want something else I didnt experience before!! And luckily, technical jobs in aerospace do tend to pay well. So thats not really a problem I expect.

Again, congratulations with your bold decision. Love it, if it makes you more happy!!
RobbyG

Jan 30, 2009
Just enjoy the new job!! Make the best thing in Your life cause life is short..
Skyper
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 03, 2009
very true. congrats first of all. not many can say they are happy in life in the same way you are now! that is why it is important to design a life plan first and then a business plan that allows you to live that life you want to live. as long as you can get by with your commitments, you rather do what you really love! u will never feel like you are working, in fact you might get addicted to it!
DubaiInformationSite
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai