Life Direction Change

Topic locked
Life Direction Change Jan 04, 2009
Hi my name is Chris and I'm 21 years old and live in the UK.

My girlfriend and myself are considering moving to Dubai in September/October 2009. She has a sister who lives out there who is a successful estate agent and my girlfriend herself is in her final year of university finishing a degree in forensic science (Basically an Analytical Chemistry Degree).

I myself left school at 16 with all the proper qualifications I have 7 GCSE's grade C or above and have had various jobs working in retail and served approx 2 and a half years in the British Army with an excellent conduct/service history.

I wish to get away from these areas and always feel I have underachieved I could easily have gone to college and even onto university but felt I needed to get out there and experience life a decision I now regret as the only jobs available to me in the current economic circumstances in the UK and my Location are sales assistant/retail jobs.

I was wondering if there would be the opportunity to work as a trainee stockbroker out in Dubai and have tried searching to this effect on the internet but it quickly becomes a mire of agencies and companies who's reputations I cannot be sure of. Stockbroking has always been of interest to me and any help anyone could give would be fantastic

Many Thanks

Chris Humphrey

Chris_Humphrey
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jan 06, 2009
^ Chris, admire you're post but don't expect the advice to be good.

Bottom line, you are a fresher to banking. Furthermore you do not have a undergraduates degree, let alone an MBA. Most people are walking around with MBA's here. An application to any bank requires you to have a degree of some kind (preferably commerce). This is no different anywhere in the world.

Futhermore, you have a severe credit crisis worldwide. The market is tightening up here. Dubai is no longer a "walk in the park". Being a foreigner means nothing anymore (or for now at least).
A lot of banks here are laying off more people than hiring.

I very highly doubt they would take anyone on as a trainee. I highly doubt they would do that regardless of the economic situation. You dont come here to learn... you come here when you know what you're doing.

Just my honest $0.02.

Wish you the best.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Jan 06, 2009
P.s, If stockbroking is what you really want to do:

1. Get into school for a finance degree.
2. Get into networking events/seminars.
3. Try and get close to someone who is in the business.

Aside from that... I dont know if there are any other ways? There is NO easy way into stockbroking.

NO one is going to trust you with their $ unless they know everything about you... Any firm hiring you will want to know your qualifications and your knowledge of the market. A "keeness/passion" for stocks just doesnt cut it.
dresden
Dubai chat master

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai