Email Considered Binding Contract?

Topic locked
email considered binding contract? Feb 11, 2009
so i accepted an offer with a company out in dubai through email. we agreed on the terms adn everything.
after a week i received an email telling me that my salary is going to be lower than what we previously agreed on....i of course refused it...and they came back with another offer and i refused it again....they're trying to offer me a lower salary than what im currently on, which i think is absurd!
i have my own suspicions...but who knows if im right....but soon as i sent my passport scan i got a lower salary...lol...i could be jumping the gun but i have my own biases towards the way the gulf countries are run

so any advice? or reasoning behind what happened....
can i hold them to the amount that was agreed upon via email?

barbarella
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 12, 2009
Unfortunately the email correspondences may not be upheld in court... but the salary reduction is reflective of what's happening in the market as there are numerous layoffs thus many available people competing for jobs AND with local / gulf experiences.

Utimately it is your choice whether to take up the offer by weighing the financial compensation and career prospects. In this economic climate, if you insist on the original offer and they eventually take you on... my view is that you could be the first ones to get the chop if the company has to reduce cost... but if you compromise then they might be incentivized to retain you, provided that you deliver and contribute of course. In my humble opinion the key now is stability, if you are in a good and stable job then stay there... the risk of changing jobs and facing the uncertainties is just not worth it.
Ansa
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 12, 2009
I don't know where your posting from, but if you don't already know youshould be aware that you have very little in the way of 'employment rights' (compared to a "western" durastiction) out here.

As the previous poster intimated - when you get out here there is NOTHING stopping your employer from sacking you!

My advice would be to ensure that you can trust your future employer before moving jobs!!
Cynical Scot
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 12, 2009
thanks guys....
i turned it down again and they said it was their final offer...whatever no sweat off my back since im still at my current job
i figure someone with less experience blagged on their cv and accepted less money
barbarella
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 25, 2009
so things are back on...but i have a question
im sorry if this seems silly to ask but i've never signed a contract taht is three yrs in length...
anyway is this a fixed salary contract as well as well as a fixed time? i mean there are pay increases right?
and if you do get a pay increase...they would have to draw up another contract right? and would the three years start over?
again sorry if this is a terribly silly question
barbarella
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 25, 2009
Try reading these two threads, they are quiet informative even if I say so myself

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=11239
http://dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=22535
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai