Company Renegotiating Salary Just Before Issuing Air Ticket

Topic locked
Company renegotiating salary just before issuing Air ticket Dec 04, 2008
company in Dubai offerred me job and the salary of 18000AED which was confirmed and accordingly a agreement was also signed. Then my papers were processed and i got the employment visa by mail. Then they made me wait for app. 15 days saying they are not getting air tickets for me due to ID holidays. Now they called me today to renegotiate my salary to AED 11000. They said this is temporary for about 2-3 motnhs and my salary will be same again after that. They also gave me another option to wait for 2 motnhs in my home country. PLease help what to do. How do i tackle this issue as i dont want to waste time after spending almost 2 months for this visa. Also more time will be wasted to get this visa cancelled and get another visa. I dont want to sit idle any more due to lack of money. Can anybody adive what to do in this case. Company General manager is not answering my phone and is asking me to cal his finance controller and the finance controller is also not answering my phones today.

asha12
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 05, 2008
First thing don't expect an answer from them either today or tomorrow. Its weekend and on top of that it’s close to the start of the Eid holidays. Most companies will be closed for a few days and many people have taken the extra time off as a long-weekend.

I think what they are trying to do is offer you a probationary salary; you will be on probation in any case when you arrive (normally for a 3 month period) - this is the law. The employer seems to be trying to save some money during this time - it is not uncommon for this to happen.

What I would suggest you do is send them another email. Note from this point on make sure that all your correspondence with the company is dated and in writing. Tell them that you will consider a probationary salary of 14,000 AED (which is reasonable) for a period not exceeding 3 months, and that you require written confirmation of this before you are prepared to proceed any further.

This means that you can (if you have it in writing) demand that your salary is increased after your probation period. A lot of companies will issue you with a letter of permanent employment on successful completion of the probation period.

On the down side it could be that the company is struggling (recent economic climate) and are having to cut back on their offering and expenses.

Get everything in writing!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 05, 2008
Thanks very much for the advice. It was comfirting to get a reply from some one atleast. My problem is i have a wife who is now 5.5 months pregnant and i cant leave her back in the home country, so i am trying to join as fast i can so that she can join me before she her 7 month as she will not be allowed to travel later.

Your advice is noted but can you also adivce if i can get a sutdio appartment for AED 3000 for me & my wife.
asha12
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 05, 2008
Hi there, if you want another piece of advice...

be careful especially with the situation which your “new” employer is already creating for you. Make 100% sure about the move!

You will have to start job under probation and can have it terminated at any point during this period and will have to leave the country! During this period you are at your most vulnerable with respect to your job!

The last thing you want to have happen is your wife is here, 7 or 8 months pregnant and your employer terminates your contract!

Moving countries with a pregnant wife is not an easy thing I’ve done it before and it is extremely stressful on both parties because of the changes and challenges surrounding the move let alone the pregnancy.

Make sure you get your marriage certificate attested and bring it with you as you will need it when she goes to a hospital here for the delivery.

The accommodation is solely dependant on where you want to stay 3,000 per month (36,000 pa) is not enough in general though, you will be looking at between 60 and 80k per annum.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai