Changing Employers - Open/Unlimited Contract

Topic locked
Changing Employers - Open/Unlimited Contract Jan 31, 2012
Forum Members,

How easy is it to change employers in the U.A.E ? if im working on a open/unlimited contract will I be able to change jobs within or outside the country (GCC Countries).

By the way, what is an Open / Unlimited contract ? benefits and disadvantages ?

thanks!

usaexpatdxb2012
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Changing Employers - Open/Unlimited Contract Jan 31, 2012
if you're in a free zone it's easier, if you're not and your current company puts a ban on you, you're SOL in the UAE. GCC wide you shouldn't get banned.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Changing Employers - Open/Unlimited Contract Feb 01, 2012
usaexpatdxb2012 wrote:Forum Members,

How easy is it to change employers in the U.A.E ? if im working on a open/unlimited contract will I be able to change jobs within or outside the country (GCC Countries).

That, is largely dependant upon the terms, conditions and any restrictions within your employment contract, bearing in mind that the cost of employment is considerable for any employer here in the UAE and restrictions and conditions are often imposed for the probationary periods at least and sometimes for the duration of your contract.

Articles 38 and 39 of the UAE Labour Laws are herewith for clarification of your 2nd question, furthermore, whether your employer is a Free Zone Company or not, all employers, public and private are subject to the UAE Federal Labour Laws.

ARTICLE (38)
An employment contract may either be for a limited or an unlimited period. If it is for a
limited period, such period shall not exceed four years and the contract may with mutual
agreement be renewed one or more times for similar or shorter period/periods.
In the event of renewal of the contract the new period/periods are deemed to be an
extension of the original period and shall be added thereto in calculation of the
employee's total period of service.

ARTICLE (39)
An employment contract is considered a contract for an unlimited period effective from
the day of its commencement in any of the following cases:

1.If it is not concluded in writing .
2. If it is made for an unlimited period.
3. If it is made in writing for a limited period and continues to be applied by both
parties after lapse of its period without a written agreement between them.
4. If it is concluded for the performance of a specific job for which no period is fixed, or if the job by its nature calls for renewal, and has remained in force despite the completion of work agreed to.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Changing Employers - Open/Unlimited Contract Feb 03, 2012
nuzbim , A company has to have a very good reason for putting a ban on someone these days. This practice is virtually being erradicated. Plus you can buy out bans, it's always been nothing more than a money making scheme.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Changing Employers - Open/Unlimited Contract Feb 07, 2012
Hi,
I worked in dubai for a non free zone company from 2008/07/07 to 2011/07/06 - completed this unlimited contract and then had the contract renewed (unlimited) from 2011/06/29 to 2013/06/28. Basically i completed 38months with this company in non free zone and resigned them after giving a notice period of 30days as mentioned in the offer letter and also got the resignation acceptance letter from the employer. Right now I'm in dubai on visit visa looking for new jobs. Is there any chance that i would have got a ban because i renewed the contract with them and then resigned. Also, would i only get to know this if i get a new job and the new employer apply for a visa. Pls help.
Thanks
Regards bobby.
bobbyaquarian
Dubai Forum Guest

Changing Employers - Open/Unlimited Contract Mar 07, 2012
hello everyone,

I would like to work in Dubai. I do not talk about just look at my resume.

http://hotfile.com/dl/149140042/d9f5f0e/Europass-CV-120307.pdf.html

thanks
kakha
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai