Leaving Dubai

Topic locked
Leaving Dubai Apr 20, 2007
I have been here for 18 months now and my employer has, to date, not applied for my residencey.

I bought a work collegue's Land Rover, in order to save on car hire costs, and insured it fully, and have been using it since without problems. It's still regstered my his name though.

I am now leaving Dubai for Europe and want to take the vehicle with, by road through Oman, Yemen and then into Africa up to Egypt.

My question is: Can I take the vehicle out of the UAE as it is not registered in my name, or do I need the residency status first, to be able to register it into my name?

Any advise on the matter will appreciated as I do not know where else to look.

Thanks.

Kuhn.

Kuhn
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 20, 2007
Must be a heck of a car to go through all that trouble with ???
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Leaving Dubai Apr 22, 2007
Kuhn wrote:I have been here for 18 months now and my employer has, to date, not applied for my residencey.

I bought a work collegue's Land Rover, in order to save on car hire costs, and insured it fully, and have been using it since without problems. It's still regstered my his name though.

I am now leaving Dubai for Europe and want to take the vehicle with, by road through Oman, Yemen and then into Africa up to Egypt.

My question is: Can I take the vehicle out of the UAE as it is not registered in my name, or do I need the residency status first, to be able to register it into my name?

Thanks.

Kuhn.

I knew nothing about it, and still don't, but I picked up a book tiltled "They Saddle Dogs" this weekend written by a guy who lives in dubai about his travel overland from Abu Dhabi to England some years back. I had read the review a couple of weeks back.

The problem they faced in Jordan and Egypt was that while they had visas to enter, the car did not have a visa. They were travelling on "export" plates but still needed visas for the car (the goverments are concerned that the car will be sold or imported and no tax paid to the respective goverment). Don't know how it ends as I only read 150 pages so far. Pick up a copy etc. pretty wood read.

They drove a Nissan Pathfinder....I know they made it as the author lives in Dubai.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Leaving Dubai Apr 22, 2007
Kuhn wrote:I have been here for 18 months now and my employer has, to date, not applied for my residencey.

Thanks.

Kuhn.

I knew nothing about it, and still don't, but I picked up a book tiltled "They Saddle Dogs" this weekend written by a guy who lives in dubai about his travel overland from Abu Dhabi to England some years back. I had read the review a couple of weeks back.

The problem they faced in Jordan and Egypt was that while they had visas to enter the car, the car did not have a visa. They were travelling on "export" plates but still needed visas for the car (the goverments are concerned that the car will be sold or imported and no tax paid to the respective goverment). Don't know how it ends as I only read 150 pages. Pick up a copy etc. pretty wood read.

They drove a Nissan Pathfinder....I know they made it as he lives in Dubai.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 23, 2007
Concord,

Much obliged to you, it's a start.

I'll look for the book. I love a good read.

Where did you get the book?
Kuhn
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 23, 2007
Kuhn wrote:Concord,

Much obliged to you, it's a start.

I'll look for the book. I love a good read.

Where did you get the book?

Mcgraudy's (or something like that) at IBN Battuta mall (egypt court) there is also one on beach road by the Jumeirah mosque next to spinney's. the author is "greg hunt". Its an UAE publisher so it should be in most bookstores. I say he owes me a commission by now.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around