Domestic Help & Ramadan

Topic locked
Domestic Help & Ramadan Jun 24, 2007
If someone employs domestic help (maid, gardner, driver, etc.): How are working hours for Ramadan handled?

I now the law says 2 hours less than the work hours (it does not say "6" although most people think it does and most people work only 6 hours).

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2007
i thought the labor laws don't usually apply the same for domestic help. Anyway from what i have seen nothing changes for domestic help during Ramadan.

why is this in the travel forum though ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2007
Ha, now we're going down a post less travelled. Interesting question. I employ a maid and I'd never really thought about it. But then, my hours are so irregular that we work on a basis of when I'm home she's free to do what she needs to and has one clear day off a week.
Would be interesting to know if the law does apply to them too..
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 24, 2007
MaaaD wrote: why is this in the travel forum though ?

Only because the moderators here are sensible and won't move, edit or delete the post at a wim!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2007
MaaaD wrote:i thought the labor laws don't usually apply the same for domestic help. Anyway from what i have seen nothing changes for domestic help during Ramadan.

I would have thought that it would at least apply to all muslims regardless of occupation :shock:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2007
Concord wrote:
MaaaD wrote:i thought the labor laws don't usually apply the same for domestic help. Anyway from what i have seen nothing changes for domestic help during Ramadan.

I would have thought that it would at least apply to all muslims regardless of occupation :shock:

yeah i dunno, most domestic help i know of is not muslim ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2007
MaaaD wrote:
Concord wrote:

yeah i dunno, most domestic help i know of is not muslim ..

There are loads of them from Indonesia (the world'd largest muslim population).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around