Project Architect

Topic locked
Project Architect Sep 26, 2007
Hi everyone,

Hopefully I will be in Dubai-Abu Dhabi very soon to look for a job.
I am a project architect-10yrs wrkg exp. (Eu and Aus).
Could you please help me? :?:
... :arrow:
-Which is the best city to start with..Dubai or Abu Dhabi?
-How much should I expect in terms of annual salary?
-Is anyone interested in sharing house/apartment/unit/etc for (at least) few months?

Really grateful for your advices. :?
Thanking you in advance
Have a good day.

Eddy

eddy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 30, 2007
1. Bring a current portfolio with you.
2. Bring your original certificates/ diplomas with you (for attestation).
3. Salary will depend entirely on who you work for and your experience, smaller companies will not be able to offer the same packages as a larger company would. Be prepared to support yourself for at least 30 – 60 days before the right job comes up. Don’t find yourself in the position that you become desperate for work before your visa and cash runs out and then have to compromise what you would accept as an offer!
4. Personally I’d start with Dubai as it is in my mind more cosmopolitan and easier to acclimatise yourself to the Middle Eastern way of life. I’m not writing AD off, just suggesting that you take an easier more well trod route. AD has some pretty large projects in the offering presently and also in the not too distant future.
5. Housing/ accommodation and prices are hugely variable, and would also be dependant on where you finally decide to start working.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

thank you. Oct 01, 2007
dbxsoul,

Thank you very much for your precious advices.
I really apreciate it...and when I 'll get there..I'll pay you a beer.

Have a good day

eddy

deswaser@yahoo.com
eddy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 01, 2007
Your original mail prompted me to write that long posting below regarding tips on looking for potential employers and other odds and ends. Have a read through it as well, some items may not apply in your situation though.

good luck!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 01, 2007
Just thinking about your previous message...what do you think a decent starting monthly salary would be?

..sorry to bother you... but I really have no idea about it.
eddy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 01, 2007
Difficult question depends on the employer and depth of his pockets.

As a guess I'd say look at between 35 and 40 k (AED) starting per month. I may be way off, but this seems like a pretty good starting point.

Alternatively negotiate 25 - 30 k per month with expenses (car allowance, accommodation allowance etc.).

Don't sell yourself too cheaply, else you will loose in the long-term.

Also possibly look at an incentive based add-on to the package, like a performance bonus - come up with (and suggest) a mechanism that is both fair to yourself and the employer and that can be accurately measured and when it will be evaluated (monthly, quarterly, annually). Some company’s do use this type of scheme.

THIS HOWEVER, MUST BE WRITTEN IN TO THE OFFCIAL EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

thank you once again Oct 01, 2007
dbxsoul,

Thanks a million. Your advices are as precious as gold. Thank you once again.

Do you think I should be using a recruiting agency to look for a position?
I know that in a long run it is not convenient at all, but it might be good in order to start with something (for a short time position...couple of months)...what do u think?

..out of curiosity..what do you there?
eddy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 01, 2007
Hi there,

Look at one of the lists above, it gives the names of some reputable recruitment agencies. If they ask you for a registration fee then they are basically up to no good; the norm in the UAE is that a prospective employer will pay the recruitment agency for the placement of a candidate - in fact there is a law prohibiting them from taking payment from a prospective employee.

If it costs you nothing register, then register with a few of them, you have nothing to loose – but don’t hold your breath! As I said in the other posting as well, look specifically at potential employers – companies who you would like to work for and who you feel will ultimately further your career. Even if it’s a short contract it should have some benefits to your future career prospects!

I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who was only employed for a few months; the company has to still put out the same amount of money, time, relocation expenses etc. to employ a person for 1 month as they would for a 3 year contract. So ultimately they are looking at getting the best value for money and the norm is a 3 year contract.

I worked in Dubai for 6 years where I managed a medium sized retail business like most expats in Dubai I have friends working in different fields so have a fair idea of the “in’s and out’s” of living and working in the area. I relocated last year to Khartoum :( , although I still travel to Dubai on occasion; wish there had been a Khartoumforum to help me out before I got here!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 01, 2007
duplicate - deleted
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 01, 2007
dbxsoul,

Thanks again. Ok I'll register with a few of them.

My plan is to fly to dubai in dec-gen...I dont know the precise date.

BTW, once there I'll try to have as many interviews as possible. The Yellow Pages will probably be my first "lecturer", at least in order to have a list of architetcural-construnction companies operating there!
At the moment I dont know anyone there.

I understand your feeling...someone giving you some info about a not familiar environment is extremely important..it also happened to me in Australia. That's why I am trying to be informed as much as I can now.

..so..right now...for sure I can tell you a lot of things about Australia..if you would be interested!

Thank you once again for your help.

I will save your posts and I ll try to follow your advices once there. :idea:
Have a good day and many thanks once again. :P

p.s. in case my email is <deswaser@yahoo.com>...where are u from? :?:
eddy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 01, 2007
Acutually I'd like to take you up on the Aussie info. I have been offered a position in Perth as well as another in Dubai (again). Iv'e visited Australia before, but am a little unsure on some of the minor aspects regarding relocating and living there. Would you mind if I mailed you?
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 01, 2007
Go ahead. No problem. I lived for 5 months in Perth..my first period in Aus. Happy to help if I can.
eddy
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted