Maritime Management

Topic locked
Maritime management Nov 24, 2007
Hello
There are some positions in UAE that that seems interesting. I got maritime management background and specific training for that also with 20-years experience of it.

In management level offered monthly salary seems to be 40-50 000 per month + extras(see below). Does this sound good?I have not find THE job yet.

Any ideas how much to charge if I make a B2B deal in the way that I continue to work in Finnish company which charge Dubai company from my work. If my salary is that 50 000 per month + accommodation + insurence + school for one kid + social security + visa + something that I don't know yet. How much this extra makes. Is the total salary *2 or salary *3 or what?

Can foreign company pay salary for the person who works in UAE or should the salary be payed by local company or by local branch office?

Y u c c a
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 24, 2007
difficult question to answer as you don't have a vacancy yet.

40 - 50k is pretty good - middle/ upper management position, this means you have to be prepared to take the good with the bad! no 35 or 40 hour working week and don't expect to have a 2 day weekened. when a company pays that kind of money they expect you to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - this may not be written, but it is definitly implied!

if you are contracted through an international company there is no regulation stating where your salary is paid or in which currency.

accomodation allowance - given the seniority of the management position should be in the region of 10 - 15k per month (perhaps more to the 15k side of things).

there is no social security in the uae, however if you were contracted outside of the country, i would try and negotiate with the employer to pay your benefits there.

the schooling "perk" which was offered by many companies is becoming a thing of the past, the rate at which school fees increase each year bleeds a lot of companies; you may be lucky and they may offer an amount towards schooling, but it will be an allowance and not cover the entire fee.

you would have to still get a local labour card, labour contract and residency visa even if your services were contracted through a third party. i've no idea what your Finish company would charge the UAE company, but it definitly would not be double or triple your package! probably more in line with 10 or at most 20% of your monthly salary.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 24, 2007
Thank you dbxsoul

In my business the quality is the thing. I have DNV certified quality as a company and it is thing that opens the doors. Problem is that huge companies in UAE are not so interesting to buy services from small (tiny) company. That is the reason why I also looking possibilities to work there as employee.

It seems that there are some fake web companies like jobsindubei.com offering jobs without any results. Some people are advising in here Dubai Forums to come in Dubai with paperwork for few weeks. If I come how I can find those jobs better there than I can do it with WEB and google. Are there some newspapers, billboards or what. I don't feel good to start knocking the company doors there randomly.

I just dig my car out of snow and ice. I really hate that!
Y u c c a
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 24, 2007
Y u c c a wrote:Thank you dbxsoul

In my business the quality is the thing. I have DNV certified quality as a company and it is thing that opens the doors. Problem is that huge companies in UAE are not so interesting to buy services from small (tiny) company. That is the reason why I also looking possibilities to work there as employee.

It seems that there are some fake web companies like jobsindubei.com offering jobs without any results. Some people are advising in here Dubai Forums to come in Dubai with paperwork for few weeks. If I come how I can find those jobs better there than I can do it with WEB and google. Are there some newspapers, billboards or what. I don't feel good to start knocking the company doors there randomly.

I just dig my car out of snow and ice. I really hate that!

:) well in dubai your'e not going to have a problem with snow and ice, maybe sun and dust though :)

there are a number of reasons why it is sometimes easier to get a job when your'e already in the country - this does however depend on the type/ nature of the vacany:

1. if your'e already in the uae, the employer doesn't have to pay your travel expenses to get you there for an interview.
2. a one-on-one interview is the best way to conduct things, it's easy to swap emails or phone calls, but a personal interview with a potential candiate is 100x more useful - for both parties
3. sometimes employers are in a hurry to replace or fill a position (this is normally the case), under the circumstances they cannot afford to waste to much time mailing potential candidates and negotiating. sometimes the position is awarded on the spot, if the interview is sucessful! most companies don't plan thier recruitment and most vacancies are exisiting positions where the current employee has left suddenly or with little notice!

i agree with your first point, most employers in the uae, will simply rather employ directly, as there is no real benefits to them not doing it this way, this also saves them recruitment fees and monthly comission/ consultation payments. as i said though, normally once they have you employed they feel that you "belong" to them, be wary of this.

if employed you may be required to train a number of emiraties to take over your position, this is quiet normal and in line with the uae's policy of creating work for nationals "emiratisation".

i'd suggest going directly to potential employers, most would prefer it this was as well as they then don't have to pay a recruitment fee to the agenecy - sometimes as much as 20% of your annual negotiated package (as a once off).

i must admit i'm not sure what you mean by "maritime managment", elaborate and perhaps i can suggest a few doors to knock on.... does this mean you skipper a rowing boat?? :) :lol:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 25, 2007
Thank you again dbxsoul
Sorry I live with Maritime people so I did use not so clear "Maritime management"

There are few organizations that control whole maritime business. There is IMO, International Maritime Organization which is part of UN. IMO gives regulations and all IMO (actually UN) members and they will follow those rules. Also EMSA, European Maritime Safety Agency, USCG, Homeland Security, MOU=Memorandum Of Understanding.
Those organizations are giving rules and regulations that each ship and ship owner should follow. If not then the ship could idle.
PSC Port State Control which is the "police" that checks all of those rules are filled when ship goes to the port. If not they will give a note and if there are too many faults with the ship or with the paperwork they will ban the ship until things are fixed. Ship could have PSC check where ever it goes.

Our Maritime Management is that we do audit that things in the company and on board are carried out according those regulations and the company ships can go and leave port without problems and without delays.

It is simply paperwork but to keep those papers in good order can save millions :D

So what I'm looking for is the doors of ship owners. We work also with ports because some of these regulations are for ports also.
I plan now that I'm going to spent January in Dubai for looking work possibilities. I'm 110% sure that there are job for me but how to find it?
Y u c c a
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 25, 2007
Okay that clears that up; I actually had a mental picture of you in jacket and seaman’s cap directing a flotilla of small boats on a pond, “Come in number Two, your time is up!” – kidding.

Okay there are a few issues here; I don’t know all the specifics though. The Dubai Creek for example is regulated by the Dubai Municipality (DM); this seems to encompass waterway safety, civil defence, implementation of regulations etc. For all intense and purpose the DM is really a local government authority and has much broader powers than what a Municipality from a western understanding of the word has.

There are of course the Ports Authorities as well, here again each port seems to have its own authority (Port Rashid, Jebel Ali, Ras Al Khamah etc.). These seem to be specifically dedicated to the port its self and have no jurisdiction on “public waterway”, where the DM does.

Additionally some of the ports fall within Free zones, such as Jebel Ali and as far as I’m aware are independent regulatory bodies on their own.

I think there may even be another body regulating the oil terminals (Fuijerah, Um Al Quain etc.), although I have no idea who would be responsible.

Okay, now to the regulations and how they are imposed, as I said the DM looks after much of the Creek traffic, some of which is regional and international, whether they have rules and apply them is another storey all together. I’ve seen some things in port which looked worse than what Thor Heyerdal used! Normally what happens is that some accident takes place, they clamp down on the rules and regulations as a reflex action, but then after 2 weeks things sort of drift back to their old order.

Port Rashid, is a dry dock, and there has also been some speculation about it being converted into a marina development.

Jebel Ali, I’d say would be your best bet, as far as I know it’s the worlds largest artificial harbour system, and they are currently extending it as well. It lies between the first and second Palm Island developments, and as such is basically a huge working harbour between two of the worlds most recognised and actively promoted holiday/ tourist/ residential developments. In addition to this there is the World Island development which is just off of the third palm island development adjacent to the Creek. To me it makes common sense that if you put huge container vessels and small domestic craft together in the same proximity there is a huge potential for accidents, which depending on the severity could have a huge impact on the islands (oil spills etc). This I would say puts you in a very good position at the moment to look for a vacancy/ position within the Ports Authority to be able to make some real changes to the current system, even if you were to highlight some of the potential consequences of such an incident. I’m not even sure if they have even thought about it.

Another one would be to look at the developers of the World Islands; they expect all traffic to and from the individual islands to be done through a fleet of water taxis and barges, unregulated another recipe for disaster.

I’m assuming that this is the type of thing that you may be looking at, seeing where development and shipping cross lanes (so to speak) and identifying potential project work or career opportunities may result out of this, or am I off on the wrong tangent?
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted