ReNu Contact Lens Solution --Warning

Topic locked
ReNu Contact Lens Solution --Warning Apr 16, 2006
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/06 ... 33442.html

I just wanted to warn others, I use this stuff, at least i did and my eyes have been killing me over the last month, I've switched to glasses, have an appointment with an Opthomologist, etc..

I can't say it is 100% sure because of this product, but did want to pass on a warning in case others are in the same boat.

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Apr 16, 2006
Thanks Fayz, I'll get rid of my unused bottle, just in case.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 16, 2006
I'll tell the other half. He uses that stuff, no wonder his eyes always look horrid.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 16, 2006
do not know, my eyes are fine; I have been using this solution for years now, so, really do not know if it is true what they said in the article. Any product may not be good and suitable for everyone; something that is good for ones is bad for the others.
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 16, 2006
IMJ wrote:do not know, my eyes are fine; I have been using this solution for years now, so, really do not know if it is true what they said in the article. Any product may not be good and suitable for everyone; something that is good for ones is bad for the others.

I think a bad batch got out, I've been using the stuff for almost 2 years without issue, only the last month and a bit. Apparently it is also just the ReNu that was made in the US, if yours was made in another country you may be safe.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 16, 2006
Some of us are lucky enough to have a pathalogical fear of sticking anything in their eyes and are content to walk around with 2 bottle ends strapped to the front of their face! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

"This could be your lucky day!"
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 16, 2006
The ones I bought from Sg last year were recalled due to this issue. I bought new stock and am still using it now with no dramas.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:Some of us are lucky enough to have a pathalogical fear of sticking anything in their eyes and are content to walk around with 2 bottle ends strapped to the front of their face! :shock:

Knight

"This could be your lucky day!"

and some of us are still "in denial" and currently trying to work out how to lengthen their arms

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 17, 2006
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2006
fayz wrote:
IMJ wrote:do not know, my eyes are fine; I have been using this solution for years now, so, really do not know if it is true what they said in the article. Any product may not be good and suitable for everyone; something that is good for ones is bad for the others.

I think a bad batch got out, I've been using the stuff for almost 2 years without issue, only the last month and a bit. Apparently it is also just the ReNu that was made in the US, if yours was made in another country you may be safe.

and I bought mine out of UAE, so....
anyway, there is news saying everything is fine with the ReNu
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 20, 2006
Just to update all on this issue, went to the ophthalmologist and I had an allergic reaction to the solution, I have an infection but not the fungal thing that was in the newspapers (phew)

No contacts for me for the next month and some funky goop in my eyes 4 times a day but all is good :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 21, 2006
Oh thank Gudness. Its a relief to hear this. I got worried since i read about it in the Newspapers. Ive been using Renu for ages now.
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 28, 2006
Recalled lens solution back in the eye of the storm

By Nina Muslim, Staff Reporter

Source: Gulf News

Dubai: Three cases of possible fungal eye infection among users of a contact lens solution, linked to a rare disease that causes blindness, have been reported in Dubai, Gulf News has learned.

Renu with MoistureLoc contact lens solution, manufactured by Bausch and Lomb, was permanently recalled recently after US health authorities concluded that it was "the root cause" for an outbreak of Fusarium keratitis among its users.

The FDA and the company found that the solution allowed a polymer to form around the Fusarium fungus, protecting it from the solution's disinfectant.

The three patients Ahmad Al Abbadi, from Egypt, Khalid Al Khatib, from Turkey, and a British national reported using the solution regularly. The first two are currently being treated at the Ophthalmic Ward at Dubai Hospital, while the other has gone to the UK for treatment.

Both Al Abbadi and Al Khatib are angry that Bausch and Lomb and its UAE representatives did not warn their customers about the dangers associated with the solution, although Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia first reported an outbreak in February.

Both, who were infected in April, believe the solution was responsible, although lab tests could not determine whether it was a bacterial or a fungal infection. Their treatment includes anti-fungal and anti-bacterial eye drops.

Al Abbadi is convinced that he has a fungal eye infection because he was always careful with personal hygiene.

"It is a fungal infection, most likely from Renu. Because where else am I going to get the fungus?" he asked.

The banking executive said the ulcer in his cornea was still not better, despite the intensive treatment he received in Egypt and in the UAE. He can barely open his left eye. On top of worrying the infection will get worse and blind him, requiring a corneal transplant, he is also worried that he will lose his job.

"I have finished my annual leave, my sick leave (quota). Now I'm entering into half-pay, and (in two weeks) I will be unpaid," he said.

Al Khatib, who was admitted to the hospital in April, told Gulf News that his eye was getting better, although still red and watery with a visible white spot on the cornea.

That did not lessen his anger, however. "It is really frustrating when something that you buy, that you pay for, makes you sick," he said.

Renu with MoistureLoc contact lens solution was available on shelves in the UAE till May 16, although a few pharmacies removed the product after Gulf News highlighted the issue a month before.

An ophthalmologist at the hospital, who declined to be identified, said he did not discount the possibility that the solution was responsible for the infections.

He said the hospital had seen an increase of patients with eye infections due to contact lens use in the last few months.

However, he declined to say how many of them used Renu with MoistureLoc contact lens solution.

Gulf News contacted Ahmad Jaber, managing director of Al Jaber Trading Agencies, UAE agent for Bausch and Lomb, who said he did not believe the solution was responsible as lab tests did not confirm the infection as Fusarium keratitis.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Products and Services in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Products and Services in Dubai