Buying Toys From The Web And Amazon Query

Topic locked
Buying toys from the web and Amazon query Apr 05, 2007
Hi,

Does anyone know where could you buy toys from the Internet in Dubai? I have some friends who want to send my son a gift and I don't have a clue if there are websites where they could just buy it here in Dubai.

They already tried buying it in Amazon.co.uk but they said they couldn't deliver it here (and it was a real toy, not an adult one befire you ask! Just a silly train). I know it sounds odd, but they even sent me a copy of Amazon's reply, was it because it was a toy? Do they only deliver books and cds overe here?

Thanks

J

Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 04, 2007
Hi Julieta,

Sorry about the late reply, but I have just registered and happen to be an expert on this subject.

Firstly, I have searched high and low for a local online toy company without success. I am seriously considering starting one myself.

You are correct, Amazon/ToysrUs don't post toys overseas and in any case, it is not worth paying the courier costs.

The toy selection is not brilliant in Dubai, but it is improving, and I usually use the toy shops in Mall of the Emirates which are OK. If not, I hand carry it from back home.

Amazon do post DVDs and Books and I have used them many times without any problems. Just remember to use your P.O.Box. If you use your residential address, Emirates post try to send it to the real estate agent who manages the apartment/villa... which usually means that it ends up on his coffee table at home.
I know this because a friend staying in my complex told me that he saw a parcel for me at the real estate office, but when I went to collect it they knew nothing about it... Obviously I was new to Dubai and still had rose my coloured glasses on.

Hope this helps,

bunster
bunster
Dubai Forum Guest

May 05, 2007
Thanks Bunster,

Good to know about the real state agency stealing even more from us, haha! (as if they didn't have enough with all the charges and fees!)

So books and dvds are ok? I guess that will be the answer, as my son's godparents really wanted to send him something.

So no idea if there is actually a local website for toys?

Cheers,

J!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 05, 2007
Yep, DVDs and Books from Amazon are fine. I use them all of the time and currently have another 2 books on the way.

I am pretty sure that there are no on-line toy companies in the UAE. There are other on-line toy companies who will ship overseas, but the postage is a killer.

I just bought back a heap of our Christmas presents from home... for this Christams that is!
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Products and Services in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Products and Services in Dubai