BOOKS Review & Exchange

Topic locked
BOOKS Review & Exchange Dec 31, 2005
Due to numerous requests I have made seperate sticky so you can comment about the books you have read and your ratings. If it is popular we can have seperate forum section! So start reviewing :D

sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 31, 2005
just read white apples by jonathan carroll...brilliant...life after death and all the dramas that follow...
China Meville - "Perdido Street Station"- "The Scar" -"Iron Council"...one of our most brilliant contemporary writer of fantastic fables...
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 07, 2006
I mostly read fiction and if i can lay my hands on something about astronomy i jump at it.

Just finished reading From a Buick 8 by stephen King.

would be definately interested in a exchange forum:)

Cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 07, 2006
finished rule of four - didnt like it .written in nerd style.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 12, 2006
finished reading dreamcatcher by stephen king, quite gripping book on aliens. even the movie based on it has been made in a pretty good way.

currently am reading IT by king again

Cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 13, 2006
yeah Stephen is a good writer
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 12, 2006
Has anyone read The DA VINCI CODE , would like to know is it worth buying and making a part of ones collection??

cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 12, 2006
Jeevan deffo - its brill read.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 12, 2006
read angels and demons much betta
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 08, 2006
all Dan Brown books become predictable after reading few...but still they are good enough to be in your collection....

Just read Chronicles, autobiography of Bob Dylan- It's nice..though a bit acattered in between....but still it's considered to be one of the most intimate autobiographies written in the era.

Now days reading Bookless in Baghdad!
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 09, 2006
I read "the rule of four" the plot and story line is really good but I hated the way the authors handled the plot in "nerd style". If Dan Brown had the plot he would have added some spice to the story. I still love "angles and demons" ....the brotherhood is alive......the ambigram...the suspense.... all cool :twisted:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 20, 2006
u cannot be serious in reading all these stuff when there r so many more than interesting fashion magazines???? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
raidah

May 27, 2006
raidah wrote:u cannot be serious in reading all these stuff when there r so many more than interesting fashion magazines???? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hahaha you remind me of someone I know so very well when you say that!!
ajb
Dubai chat master

May 27, 2006
also recently read million little pieces by I think James Frey? Anyway its a pretty good read into the struggle of a recovering drug addict.

Anyone read Maos last dancer (can't remember the title exactly?) is it worth a read?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 18, 2006
The Fifth Sally by Daniel Keyes

its about a schizophrenic women presented through her 5 different personalities. it a novel, but it has very good references on how ppl with split personality can act and live.
raidah

Jun 21, 2006
King rat by James clavell

beautiful novel based on a POW camp during the world war, based on true events experienced by the author.

Shogun by James clavell

another beautifully told story about japan in the 16th? i think, century,
really big and rich in detail beautiful and realistic ending, miniseries aired in the 80's.
arso304
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 20, 2006
I think Fast Food Nation should be required reading in all schools.
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 04, 2006
For who asked about Da Vinci Code, I’d say watch the movie but read angels and Demons, to me its much better and more interesting.

Right now I’m reading On Beauty by Zadie Smith, its quite fine, easy read, interesting somehow.

The last book I read was by Philippa Gregory, The Constant princess, and that was really good.
TheLocalGirl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 15, 2006
TheLocalGirl wrote:The last book I read was by Philippa Gregory, The Constant princess, and that was really good.

i never read novels but they are long and boring but for short cut i don't mind hearing them as per convenient from someone who read them :shock:
PhDFares
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 16, 2006
I highly recommend Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 21, 2006
Im reading the kite runner right now...i like it already..

a million little pieces started reading it and enjoying it and there was the controversy on Oprah that he was Lying about most of the facts in the book so i stopped reading don't want to read lies :cry:...
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 21, 2006
"I Sweep the Sun Off Of Rooftops" by Hana Al-Shaykh is very good, intertwining stories of women living in Arab countries. It is a bit dense, but beautifully written.
noni
Dubai chat master

Sep 21, 2006
my fav

East of Eden by John Steinbeck..all of Steinbeck's work are worth readn
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2006
Just started reading "Blue Aubergine" by Miral al-Tahawy...about a young Egyptian woman in growing up in 1967...and her developement admist the political and social occurances...its REALLY good so far!
noni
Dubai chat master

Oct 02, 2006
noni wrote:Just started reading "Blue Aubergine" by Miral al-Tahawy...about a young Egyptian woman in growing up in 1967...and her developement admist the political and social occurances...its REALLY good so far!

thanx ur always updating my collection.... :P
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 05, 2006
I read this for a class:

"Travels With A Tangerine" by Tim Mackintosh Smith.

Smith is a scholar on the Middle East and he sets out to follow Ibn Battutah's footsteps...very interesting and well written
noni
Dubai chat master

Oct 05, 2006
I just bought the following books to read for the next few weeks:

What would you do to save the World? "Confessions of a Could have been Beauty Queen" - Ira Trivedi

Truth or Dare "A Book of Secrets Shared" - Memoirs by Various Authors

The Girls from Overseas - Nergis Dalal

Azur Like it - Wendy Holden

Anil's Ghost - Micheal Ondaatje

Trance - Christopher Sorrentino

The Kama Sutra - A Penguin Popular Classic!!

I'll put up my reviews as I go along.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 05, 2006
Jeevan wrote:Has anyone read The DA VINCI CODE , would like to know is it worth buying and making a part of ones collection??

cheers,

Jerry

I've read it. Great writing, great story telling, great research done for it. One of the greatest things about it are the codes and riddles that you stop reading to try and figure out. Definitely worth having.

If you enjoy the content, then I would suggest getting:

Dan Brown's Angels and Demons

Baigent, Leigh, & Lincoln's The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail (Title in the US is Holy Blood, Holy Grail), The Messianic Legacy and The Bible Came from Arabia

All three books by Baigent, Leigh, & Lincoln, like Brown's works, are fictional with heavy anchoring to reality through factual research.

I'm not sure how easy they would be to get here.

Speaking of being hard to get, I need to find translations or transliterations of Milton's Paradise lost and Dante's Inferno. Anyone got them by any chance?
bear
Dubai chat master

The Girls from Overseas - Nergis Dalal Oct 08, 2006
The Girls from Overseas

This is a good read. Its an interesting look into the lives of 5 foreigners married to Indians and living in Dhera Dhun. Some lovely visual discriptions and an entertaining yet sobering insight into the dilemmas faced by Westerners who try, with various levels of success, to acclimate to life in the East.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 08, 2006
What would you do to save the World? "Confessions of a Could have been Beauty Queen" - Ira Trivedi

A fun read, especially for the girls. A true story about a Miss India contestant (Ira) who didn't make it to the top ten finalist round. Ira, who is studying Economics at Wellesley, has a fresh yet cynical style of writing. I recommend this for light reading by the pool, although it does tend to drag 3/4 way into the book.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk