What Languages Do You Wanna Learn In Your Lifetime?

Topic locked
What languages do you wanna learn in your lifetime? Sep 11, 2006
Dear all,

What languages do you wanna learn in your lifetime?

mine would be.....

1. Russian
2. Hindi
3. Chinese
4. Japanese
5. Italian
6. German

Last but not least Hebrew

Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
Arabic, Urdu, French and if I live long enough Latin.
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
shafique wrote:Arabic, Urdu, French and if I live long enough Latin.

isnt latin a dead language now?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
Latin is dead - but some great books were written in Latin - in fact all the languages I've listed are primarily so that I can read books in those languages.

Thinking about it, I might add Persian before Latin though... should be easier to learn if I know Arabic and Urdu!

Only just started learning Arabic though - so a long way to go yet!

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
1- Spanish
2- German
3- Japanese
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 11, 2006
1.German
German has the most written translations into and from a language

2.Latin
Closeness to any Romance language so being able to speak what most of the americas,Europe n africa can understand.

3.Chinees
Most commonly spoken language in the world.

4.Sanskrit
Divinity and following the roots of civilization.

I think that would b a tough task to learn these many itself..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 11, 2006
Arabic (bec Im in the Middle East )
Farsi (just in case...)

Other than these two I cant think of anything more...to be honest I cant see a reason for me to learn other language aside from what I already mentioned .
zam

Sep 11, 2006
oh it has to be Arabic, without a doubt the most beautiful language in the world.
i am passionate about it,
i have to learn it.

...Ana baheb Arabi
poppy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2006
Arabic
French
German
Spanish
Dutch

Unfortunately I am a complete idiot when it comes to languages, I can dream though :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
Im already studying Hebrew, so that knocks one off my list.

Italian, just because its such a lovely language -- so full of life.

I also want to learn Lari, since my mums family is from there and while i know farsi and 3eemi, i should still know Lari.

and ummm, thats all i can think of at the moment
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
Studying Hebrew, now that is interesting. May I ask the purpose of your study?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Arabic
French
German
Spanish
Dutch

Unfortunately I am a complete idiot when it comes to languages, I can dream though :lol:

Why would you want to learn Dutch?? No offense but I find it a barbaric language! Hurts my ears :lol: Or maybe it has something to do with the 9 hours I had to spend at $#%$%@ Schiphol each and every time I came back from L.A. .... Honestly I hate the damn language!
Nick81

Sep 11, 2006
bushra21 wrote:Im already studying Hebrew, so that knocks one off my list.

I also want to learn Lari, since my mums family is from there and while i know farsi and 3eemi, i should still know Lari.

Lari?? Is it a dialect? Persian I presume?
Nick81

Sep 11, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Studying Hebrew, now that is interesting. May I ask the purpose of your study?

Well my dad is originally from Palestine and I want to go there some day. The language in Israel is Hebrew as well as Arabic. Since I've got Arabic well under my belt I figured it would only make sense for me to know Hebrew...since I am Palestinian.

I like to be able to speak the languages of the countries that my parents come from.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
Nick81 wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Arabic
French
German
Spanish
Dutch

Why would you want to learn Dutch?? No offense but I find it a barbaric language! Hurts my ears :lol: Or maybe it has something to do with the 9 hours I had to spend at $#%$%@ Schiphol each and every time I came back from L.A. .... Honestly I hate the damn language!

I must say it can at times seem a very harsh language (with the throat sounds) however I have made quite a few Dutch friends over the years and it would be good to reply to them in their own language.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
1-Italian "i love anything italian , food ,music , country ,men :oops: "

2- french "so $exy"
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 11, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Studying Hebrew, now that is interesting. May I ask the purpose of your study?

Well my dad is originally from Palestine and I want to go there some day. The language in Israel is Hebrew as well as Arabic. Since I've got Arabic well under my belt I figured it would only make sense for me to know Hebrew...since I am Palestinian.

I like to be able to speak the languages of the countries that my parents come from.

Respect Bushra :D
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
Corcovado wrote:1-Italian "i love anything italian , food ,music , country ,men :oops: "

2- french "so $exy"

i used to know french, then it started to fade away :cry:

i hope to bring it back after im done with Hebrew. Perhaps a stay in France for a couple months would help :idea:

oh and thank S&O :oops:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
bushra21 wrote:Im already studying Hebrew, so that knocks one off my list.

you study it too, i have a book from the US "Hebrew for dummies", its kinda easy to pronounce because it arabic and hebrew are similar. How much do you know of hebrew dude?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006

it all started when i was with my family and we met with an isreali family in frisno, the guy's son was speaking to my father in correct arabic (old arabic), plus he was memorized the whole quran although he is jew.

Arabs and Isrealies have a bad history and i do consider them an enemy of mine.....if they make an effort in learning my language then i would make an effort to learn their language.
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
Bleakus wrote:
you study it too, i have a book from the US "Hebrew for dummies", its kinda easy to pronounce because it arabic and hebrew are similar. How much do you know of hebrew dude?

7bebi 7bebi 7bebi....im not a dude! lol

and i need a couple more months before i complete the program i have set for myself. i learn languages pretty easily so it takes me around 3-4 months to be able to be fluent in a language. it is really easy since its similar to arabic in pronunciation. right now though im reviewing my spanish since im being tested on that language in december.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
On this note if anyone knows of any Greek teachers then please let me know, I think it's about time I learnt this, although I'm terrible at learning languages.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 11, 2006
Bleakus wrote:Arabs and Isrealies have a bad history and i do consider them an enemy of mine.....if they make an effort in learning my language then i would make an effort to learn their language.

:lol: :lol: Know what this reminded me of IMMEDIATELY?

“Know thy enemy and know thy self and you will win a hundred battles.”
Sun Tzu Wu
Nick81

Sep 11, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
Bleakus wrote:

7bebi 7bebi 7bebi....im not a dude! lol

and i need a couple more months before i complete the program i have set for myself. i learn languages pretty easily so it takes me around 3-4 months to be able to be fluent in a language. it is really easy since its similar to arabic in pronunciation. right now though im reviewing my spanish since im being tested on that language in december.

when i mean dude, i mean in both sexes, so its all good

good luck on the spanish test in december, im still looking for someone to learn hebrew with :cry:
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
Bleakus wrote:
when i mean dude, i mean in both fun, so its all good

good luck on the spanish test in december, im still looking for someone to learn hebrew with :cry:

we can still learn it together...

:wink:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 11, 2006
Italian it's so S.E.X.Y
Mi Ange mi Demon
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 11, 2006
Nick81 wrote:

wat zeg je nou man?, Nederlands is een heel leuke taal...

(oh yeh, and your avatar is sooooo gorgeous...)
poppy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2006
poppy wrote:
Nick81 wrote:

wat zeg je nou man?, Nederlands is een heel leuke taal...

(oh yeh, and your avatar is sooooo gorgeous...)

Aaaaargh! Even reading it gives me the creeps! I can still her Schiphol's female announcer voice in my nightmares!! I have no idea what she used to say but it drove me crazy!

EDIT: :oops: And thanks for the compliment... Good thing you missed my previous avatar... You might've been one of the persons to have a problem with it... :lol:
Nick81

Sep 11, 2006
ermm, i vaguely remember it being a flag of an Arab country, with a 'twist', .... nah?

and actually i used to hate the language too, but after living in Amsterdam for 10 + years, it sort of grew on me
poppy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2006
i learned arabic, and now im back to my spanish lessons.

later, it might be german, but i have to become fluent with the 2 languages first.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat