Any Suggestions?

Topic locked
Any Suggestions? Sep 09, 2006
I posted this earlier but the post was lost. So here I go again....

I'm looking to take a vacation in either October or December and would like to hear your suggestions as to where I could go. I'd like to be somewhere close to the sea preferably (but not necessarily), where I can visit museums, go to the theatre, spend some time reading or writing at a cafe. It would have to be convenient for a woman travelling alone.

PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 09, 2006
Have you considered or looked into Malta?
noni
Dubai chat master

Sep 09, 2006
noni wrote:Have you considered or looked into Malta?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO malta is just a drunken party island. From what i remember from PrettyPenny's original post i dont think thats what she is looking for. might be wrong though :P
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 09, 2006
You are right Maad. Thanks for the clarification :).
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 09, 2006
Well I have heard a lot of good things about malta because my aunt and uncle used to live there. You were looking for

theater: http://www.teatrumanoel.com.mt
culture: http://www.maltaculture.com/
museums: http://www.heritagemalta.org/visiting.html
cafes: http://www.holiday-malta.com/Restaurant ... rants.html

As for the drunken island reputation I haven't heard of it, but maybe you guys would know better since it is out there. But it was just a suggestion to look into
noni
Dubai chat master

Sep 09, 2006
Thanks for the links noni, my bad for stereotyping the island. I guess you find what your looking for ;)

I suggested in the posts that were deleted South of France. But since PrettyPenny said it would be end of October or end of December and wants a beach (thus i assume wants warm weather) How about Rio ? Actually a bunch of my friends are going to Rio in December and i was thinking of joining them !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 09, 2006
I'll be doing my research ... I did read up on Malta this morning and it looks divine! I'll check Rio out too.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 09, 2006
I'm scheduled to do a project in Malta next month, Depending on when you're planning your leave I'll keep you posted on what I find. I'm a little lower brow then you, I'm hoping the drunken part reputation holds true :lol: :lol:
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 10, 2006
Look forward to hearing your review Fayz
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2006
PrettyPenny wrote:I'll be doing my research ... I did read up on Malta this morning and it looks divine! I'll check Rio out too.

Rio is not an ideal place for a woman travelling alone. Unless you speak fluent portuguese and even then...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2006
Concord wrote:
PrettyPenny wrote:I'll be doing my research ... I did read up on Malta this morning and it looks divine! I'll check Rio out too.

Rio is not an ideal place for a woman travelling alone. Unless you speak fluent portuguese and even then...

Ok did my research ... Rio looks like a great party place but since thats not on my to do list I would have to pass. Also, doesn't seem very safe. Give me an update when you get back Maaad from Rio and then I'll be able to make a better decision.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2006
Pretty Penny I would suggest Nice
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 10, 2006
Funny ... Maaad suggested Nice too! Will definitely look into it.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 10, 2006
Nice looks divine! Now I'm not sure where to go!
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 11, 2006
PrettyPenny wrote:Nice looks divine! Now I'm not sure where to go!

I hope you find what you are looking for
noni
Dubai chat master

Sep 11, 2006
PrettyPenny wrote:Nice looks divine! Now I'm not sure where to go!

Nice is absolutely gorgeous! I highly recommend you drop by Juan-Les-Pins which is very close to Nice. I actually had the chance to visit most places in the South coast of France and each place has its own charms.

However I didn't like Cannes for some reason. I think all the hype comes from the famous Cinema Festival... Monaco was nice, definitely a place to check out. You'll definitely see more +$200K cars in one minute than you do in 1 month in another country :lol: :lol:

But if you don't have too much time on your hand then stick to Nice and Juan-Les-Pins. You won't be disappointed I guarantee!!

EDIT: http://www.antibes-juanlespins.com/eng/photos/fond.html
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 20, 2006
PrettyPenny wrote:Look forward to hearing your review Fayz

I have some bad news, my trip to Malta got delayed by about 3 months, found out in today's con call they are behind schedule :(
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 21, 2006
Hi - 4 years ago I spent a week in Malta on my own and I loved it..

There are a few nice beaches and outside of summer they are not too crowded (check the weather it might not be warm enough for the beach in November), culture is there, but you could do it all in one day so if you spread out your activities.

There are some good spots for parties, however I had the impression that there were only people that didn't meet the age requirements of Ibiza :).
It's easy to stay away from so you can get out of your vacation whatever you want.

Definetely go and see Mdina and Rabat - there are great restaurants.
apl
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around