Leave Application?

Topic locked
Leave application? Sep 02, 2006
I just asked for my passport as I want to go abroad for two days during my two day WEEKLY OFF.

My manager said its UAE law that you need a leave application from the company if leaving the country.

I doubt it, but anyone know about this?

Thanks in advance...

ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 02, 2006
In one word: Bull$hit :!:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Leave application? Sep 02, 2006
ineedacoolnick wrote:I just asked for my passport as I want to go abroad for two days during my two day WEEKLY OFF.

My manager said its UAE law that you need a leave application from the company if leaving the country.

Thanks in advance...

I travel "on leave" every 4 to 6 weeks and the last time I filled out a "leave application" was NEVER.

I think they are simply afraid you are using it as a pretext and won't comeback to work for them. There was another post regarding your employe holding your passport which as I understand it is not legal but many companies do (including the municipality :shock:). It up to the amount of leverage you have (based on your position, etc.) and the kind of dicks you work for.

I say you should insist on your passport (maybe even call your embassy consulate) and then refuse to give it back (understanding that you might loose your job).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

ineedacoolnick wrote:

UAE law is actually you keep your passport not your manager. You may wish to do a search as this has been brought up a couple times, but in short the law states that it is illegal for anyone to hold your passport although many companies including the government do, it is just a BS situation.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

ineedacoolnick wrote:I just asked for my passport as I want to go abroad for two days during my two day WEEKLY OFF.

Thanks in advance...

It's more likely a company rule, certainly nothing to do with the Labour Law. Also the Law here is that you keep your passport not the Company.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:

Thanks in advance...

It's more likely a company rule, certainly nothing to do with the Labour Law. Also the Law here is that you keep your passport not the Company.

quiet true, i'd say that this was a company requirement, as per any large company... nothing new or sinister....

you may also find that they require someone (like a fellow employee, relative or friend) to stand surety for any outstanding debts that you may have, also not uncommon just incase you were to deceide not to come back..
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 03, 2006
That's totally ridiculous, you don't have to fill out leave forms for going to Oman or where ever overnight, that's just silly.

So everytime you go away for the 'weekend' it comes out your annual leave? That's stupid. Plus it's illegal for your company to hold your passport.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 03, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:That's totally ridiculous, you don't have to fill out leave forms for going to Oman or where ever overnight, that's just silly.

So everytime you go away for the 'weekend' it comes out your annual leave? That's stupid. Plus it's illegal for your company to hold your passport.

not at the burj al arab!!
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 03, 2006
Thank you all. :)
I should be getting my passport today evening...
Got a leave form with me just in case. My mananger is cool about it...he's just talking bout what he thinks is the company /UAE policy.

Cheers all.
Anyone want anything from bombay?
:)
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 03, 2006
ineedacoolnick wrote:Thank you all. :)
I should be getting my passport today evening...
Got a leave form with me just in case. My mananger is cool about it...he's just talking bout what he thinks is the company /UAE policy.

Cheers all.
Anyone want anything from bombay?
:)

Not politically correct it is now Mumbai :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 03, 2006
Not politically correct it is now Mumbai

Hush! :)
Well i got my passport finally. had to wait about an hour for the guy to come.
No leave form nothing was asked for.

In a previous post I had asked about employer retaining the passport...i asked the admin guy today, if i want to keep my passport, who do i talk to etc. He said the CEO only has to allow it. Lol. couldnt help laughing.

Anyways im off. back in two days.
Good luck all! :)
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 03, 2006
ineedacoolnick wrote:
Not politically correct it is now Mumbai

Hush! :)
Well i got my passport finally. had to wait about an hour for the guy to come.
No leave form nothing was asked for.

In a previous post I had asked about employer retaining the passport...i asked the admin guy today, if i want to keep my passport, who do i talk to etc. He said the CEO only has to allow it. Lol. couldnt help laughing.

Anyways im off. back in two days.
Good luck all! :)

Have a good time.

When you come back just don't give back your passport.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat