A Task

Topic locked
A Task Apr 28, 2005
You are jobless for many months. Recently you got a job on commission basis. You can work directly from home, using own phone, fax, and computer, and "regulate" your working hours. You already created client database, contacted them (the clients), faxed, e-mailed, and received positive responses. You may bring new clients as soon as the next month. In this case you will be able to earn not less than 10000 dhs per month.

Then, you are receiving an offer from a reputable American Company, in Jebel Ali. They offer you 8000 Dhs gross (basic - 5.200 dhs), with possibility of growth, working time: 9-12 hours per day, 6 days in a week.

You are: in Dubai, own visa, no car, single parent.

What would be your choice?

Larissa20
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 28, 2005
Option 2. The stable job with the slightly lower salary. You are a single parent and cannor risk a 100% commission job. 10K min a month is nicer than 8K but they cannot garantee that. Unless it says on paper that it is what you will get minimum. Which I doubt.

Now if you had no responsabilities and still lived with your parents, then thats a different story. I would risk it in that case.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 29, 2005
Sensible advise there Liban, sensible.

Agreee with what he has said. If you have responsibilities, then you need a stable income.

Oh, if you leave the commission based job, make sure you lose all your client base!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 29, 2005
Thats silly...just do them both!
You did say you work at home for the first comission base job right?

Just don't do so much of the first job....and make ..say...5000dhms instead of 10k. 13k sounds a whole lot better then 8k or 10k for that matter.

Just my 2 cts...but alot of people are looking for a sideline. I am too.
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 30, 2005
Please note that 9-12 hours per day is not from 9 to 12! Did anybody try to work that much onsite? How it affected your physical abilities and working efficiency? My IQ is around 150 in a normal state, but when I am exhosted, it drops dramatically. I afraid that with so long working hours the performace will be too poor. Am I right?
Larissa20
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 30, 2005
9-12 hours of work a day is a lot, especially for a single parent, and you have the issue of transport as well.

How old are the kids and is there anyone who could help around the house occasionally?
Bazooka
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 30, 2005
i would go for 10000, make money invest in shares in North America and entertainment. 9-12 hrs per day is rip off and 8000 per month is shit pay.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 30, 2005
personally i would go wit liban & yorky the stable job on any given day amean u gotta work hard then it ill surely pay off, but doin both is kinda immposible for a parent... anyways good luck

i$h
ISH
Dubai chat master

Apr 30, 2005
I would go by the 8K per month job.

However there are a lot more things you would need to consider. THigns like where do you stay right now. How much time would it take to travel to work and back. 12 hrs of work and add the travel time!!. You may want to shift closer to work. Would that increase your cost of living???

How would that impact your children??

All thins being equal, the 8K steady income looks like a better bet.
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

May 06, 2005
Hey everybody!
First week in new job was excellent! But couldn't catch up with both jobs (freelancer). Some people got angry. Will make better try next week.

Cheers,
Larissa20
Dubai Forums Talker

May 07, 2005
Larissa20 wrote:Hey everybody!
First week in new job was excellent! But couldn't catch up with both jobs (freelancer). Some people got angry. Will make better try next week.

Cheers,

good luck there Larissa! :)

always make sure u decide for the best in any offer. and if that job allows u to dwell in another commission-based job then yes, even better! but if not and u think ur extra efforts will hinder ur duties at ur new stable job, then loose the whole idea of freelancing!

money isnt ur goal here; ur and ur kids wellbeing is!
Yeats
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat