IS This Offer OK

Topic locked
IS this offer OK Mar 08, 2005
Hi ,
Iam CA with 4+ yrs of exp ..have been offered 8500dhm per mth plus 2 bed accomodation (maximum limit 45k). is it a good offer .. plus whether 45k is enuf for getting acco in dubai..
PS iam married

gugugaga
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 08, 2005
Well, if you gonna live in Sharja, then your 45k is gonn abe good, but not in Dubai! You may just sneak a Studio flat for that is a decent area!

dhs8500 per month is not gonna get you far either!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 09, 2005
hey yorky,
thanx mate for the info... so what/how much should i aim for to have a decent life and some bit of saving
gugugaga
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 10, 2005
it's a tough question to be honest, one that I am not able to answer.

Really depends on your standard of living! If your wife is gonna be working, then perhaps thats not bad as she could suppliment ya income.

Water and electricity are your biggest costs per month, other than your rent. Going out, clothes, food is pretty reasonably priced.

I take it you have no kids, if yes, then you will need to double that salary or else make sure they pay for education.

8500 per month is what, US$1200 per month, not a lot to be honest.

dhs. 15-20,000 per month would be better, but as i said, it all depends on how you wanna live. check out www.gulf-news.com go into the classifieds and see how much places are for rent.

You may get by on 8500 per month, but for two people you may be stretched, also, you wil need to get the housing increased. Oh, by the way, it's gonna cost you around dhs.10-20,000 just to furnish the place.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 11, 2005
thanx for the info... just one thing thoough i believe 8500 should be approx2300 USd.
Anyways ill try to haggle with them ..otherwise chuck it..thanx mate
gugugaga
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 12, 2005
Sorry, was using the wrong converstion factor. :oops:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 14, 2005
naah... thats Ok mate.. tell me something Ihave another offer abput 5.7k SGD in singapore .. will that better than dubai
gugugaga
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 15, 2005
Not sure about Singapore. I have been there for like 5 days total.

It's septically clean, housing is realtively cheap, cars are friggin expensive, cost of living average.

But not sure what is the base salary compared to standard of living!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 24, 2005
Does the offer for Singapore include housing? Is travelling allowances included in the $5.7k?

If the $5.7k is your base salary it would be an alright wage if you're single but does make things harder when you're attached if your partner is not planning on working also.

But purely comparing the 8,500dh to the SGD5,700 the Singapore offer is much better - not purely based on converting the $ amounts over. Cost of living (food, public transport, renting etc) in Singapore would be comparable with Dubai with the only things like cars being about 100 times more expensive.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 25, 2005
Hi
It is about 2.5 years since we left Singapore and from the rents we paid then to what I can see that you can get in Dubai (we haven't arrived yet) Singapore is far more expensive. Cars are approx 3 times what you'd expect to pay in your home country and petrol was expensive. It is an easy place to live though. Having said that if you ate out at a hawker centre it was cheap but supermarket shopping wasn't because it is all imported (alcohol also is heavily taxed). My best advice is to look up the expatsingapore website and ask some questions as my input is probably outdated. You haven't mentioned any medical coverage- you need it! COLA (cost of living allowance) are good but from experience one place we lived in has a higher COLA thn Singapore and in reality it wasn't the case because if you shopped at local markets instead of buying all imported stuff you cost of living was quite low.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 25, 2005
thanx for the info guys.. 5.7sgd is inclusive of housing... in dubai housing would by my company... anyways..medical yes it will be provided by the employer in singapore... my wifey ..she wont sit at home ...but dunnoo the market for lang.teachers in singa...
gugugaga
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Cost of living in Singapore Sep 04, 2005
Actually, you don't really need a car in Singapore esp. if you live near a MRT (subway/underground) station. There are also lots of buses, but the MRT is ideal. Taxis in Singapore are fairly reasonable and the drivers can all speak at least basic English. Also, the drivers will use the meter without being told to do so unlike Malaysia, etc.

Yes, beer, etc. is rather expensive. The cheapest brand of beer in a can on sale at a supermarket will cost you about two Singapore dollars (SGD 2). In a pub, you could easily spend five or six times that much.

Hawker centers offer cheap but usually fairly good food. The government grades all food outlets in terms of cleanliness. Nice restaurants usually get an "A" whereas stalls in hawker centres usually have a "B" or a "C." For people who want either halal or vegetarian food, then both are fairly easy to find in Singapore.

If you are single and can get around SGD7,000 (SGD 7K) a month, then you should be able to live quite well provided you don't want a car. It is possible to get by on less e.g. SGD5,000 (SGD 5K) per month especially if you have free housing or at least subsidised housing.

Income taxes in Singapore are fairly low by European or North American standards.
EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

More about Singapore Sep 04, 2005
Looking again at the posts it seems that your spouse is a language teacher.

There are some schools that teach English as a foreign language in Singapore, but the industry is not as big as in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc. because most Singaporeans grow up speaking English and at least one other language (Chinese, Malay, or Tamil, etc.). So, the situation in Singapore is very different from much of the rest of Asia.

In fact, I understand that most of the adult students in English classes in the language schools would be from other Asian countries.

Another option might be tutoring (or "giving tuition" as it's called) secondary school students in subjects like English or math. There are lots of cram schools in Singapore as in much of Asia.
EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

What scope. Sep 05, 2005
I am an English teacher of High School level and my husband is a banker with nearly twenty years experience. If we propose to relocate to DUbai are there enough worthwhile job opportunities. We have already made some investment in freehold real estate in DUbai that will give us around 5K AED as rent a month. We are basically looking to relocate to have a better and cleaner standard of living. What is the standard of college education in DUbai. Is the standard of acceptable international levels particularly in the fields of accounting/business/management studies.

Can anyone advise how to start going about it, if at all?
DUbaDUba
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum