Dubai Vs. Montreal (Canada)

Topic locked
Apr 15, 2005
Just send my resume to all the hotels, I have been doing it for a couple months. Then I was lucky, when the guy email me for an tele interview, I was happened to be in Dubai (visiting my friend) then I went to see him and I got the job on the same day.

So, I think it is better if you are here... you will get better chance.

Before I got this job, I have a few responses from other hotels... but I think the hotel may choose the candidates very carefully before they fly them over for interview. So, you always have better chance to see them first if you are there.

FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 15, 2005
Thanks for the info. That is where my husband is looking for work....at the hotels. I have sent his resume to most of them but have had no luck. What do you do?
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2005
How long have you been sending CVs and waiting?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 15, 2005
We have been trying this for over 1 year now.
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2005
I knew it takes time to get a job there, but a year?!?!??! :shock:

Did you hear anything from www.jobsindubai.com?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 15, 2005
Yes we have been trying to pursue our careers now for over a year. We keep getting the same reply "there are just as many qualified applicants for the same position who already reside in the UAE"

Yes we have heard from jobsindubai.com They told me that my husband's CV was accepted, but they want us to send the money. I sent them and email and informed them that we are not looking at relocating until September could they please advise me what to do.....but have had no response yet.

I am kind of weary of this agency.......I don't like sending money for nothing.
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2005
September... Like me... :)

Get over the hot Dubai summer!!!

I am wary of companies like that too.... But they are registered with the better business bureau and $50 is not too much money... Its not easy trying to get a job in a city halfway accross the globe unfortunately. Do not give up hope!!!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2005
What kind of hotel jobs your husban wants to do? why take so long...I mean to get a hotel job here should not be too hard...
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 16, 2005
try www.CatererGlobal.com

Jemeirahinternational.com

go on the hotel websites and look for the careers tab see what they have
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 16, 2005
Thanks Feipo. My husband is looking for food and beverage work either in a hotel or restaurant. There are already so many qualified applicants in Dubai that they are probably not willing to hire someone from outside the UAE so easily.

What type of job did you get?
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 17, 2005
keep trying... I am in F&B as well.
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 17, 2005
Which hotel did you get a job at?
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 18, 2005
Kelly,

Tere are hundreds of hotels in Dubai. also hundreds more under development. it shouldn't be that hard to get a hotel job if you have some experience in the industry (I mean it is hard but one year is a long time) don't know why it takes you one year and you still can't get a job. Maybe you should look at you CV, try to change the format or the layout.

Cheers
FeiPo
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 18, 2005
Feipo,

Maybe he doesn't have enough qualifications.

He has over 10 years experience working in the food and beverage industry as a lounge manager and dietary worker at a major hospital.

As far as courses, he never attended hotel or restaurant training, only on he job courses for food safety etc.

What do you think?
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 18, 2005
In most jobs education is important but experience can count for a lot more once you break the 10 year barrier... Not sure if its the same in your industry but its pretty much that in the non-technical fields like marketing or HR management....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2005
I don't understand it really. What should we do keep trying??
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 18, 2005
Do youselves a favor... Do not stop looking and do not lose hope!!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2005
It gets frustrating though. He has all the qualifications.....I just think it's because we're in Canada and they don't want to relocate him.

Any news yet on jobsindubai.com?
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 18, 2005
I haven't heard from them... They haven't asked me for money yet though... :?

Being that we do not reside there, it becomes 5 times harder to get anything unfortunately....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 19, 2005
kelly1966 wrote:Feipo,

Maybe he doesn't have enough qualifications.

He has over 10 years experience working in the food and beverage industry as a lounge manager and dietary worker at a major hospital.

As far as courses, he never attended hotel or restaurant training, only on he job courses for food safety etc.

What do you think?

I think he should be able to get a job... it is the matter about the pay. Sounds like he is earning quite good money right now. In Dubai, you don't get pay as much especially compare to Canada. However, the employer will provide accomodations, food and tranports (shuttle bus to and from work)Look... I don't have 10 years experience and I could still manage to get a job in a hotel restaurant as a manager.

As a front desk manager or restaurant manager you are looking at around $1400 - 2000 US
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 19, 2005
What education do you have?
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 23, 2005
I have a degree in Tourism and Hospitality. BUT I didn't have much experience tho. I really don't think qualification in paper is that important if he has 10 years experience
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 03, 2005
Holy smokes how many of us from Montreal post on this Forum? I should be in Dubai some time in July also only for a visit though.
Yippy_69
Dubai Forum User

Jun 03, 2005
Montreal is a great city!! But too cold and too much taxes... At least we finally are getting a heat wave :D
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Hello from Montreal Feb 17, 2006
Hello
norma
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum