Car Questions For Expats

Topic locked
Car questions for Expats Jul 27, 2006
Hi Guys

I need some advice on obtaining a car in Dubai. I will be moving over hopefully in September with my company.

I plan to be in Dubai for about 2 years maybe longer. I would be grateful if you could help with number of questions:

1. What do most expats do when getting a car? Do you buy or lease a vehicle.

2. What are the benefits of each method and what would you suggest doing.

3. I am inclined to lease one but I cannot find a site with info on this and some example pricing of various cars.

4. Does anyone know of a good site with a number I can contact or a quoting system on line which will tell me how much it would cost to lease a car?

5. I need the same info for buying too. What repayments would be a month etc?

I have tried searching for some time on this topic but can't pin down answers to my questions.

Thanks for your help
:?

XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 28, 2006
Try the Auto Forum :roll:
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 28, 2006
Yeah really helpful thanks.

Its aimed at expats, and what they would do, this is why its in this section.

Mods - feel free to move if required - however it is aimed at the expat audience.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 29, 2006
We had a rental car for two months at the start while we checked out the kind of car we wanted to buy. Cars are cheap here, and there is a large second hand market. You need to be careful that the used cars have not been in an accident though. In the end we decided on a new car and took a loan for that, then use the car allowance for paying the loan. If you come from a country where you can import your car and use it there without any problems, you might want to consider buying a new car - one that you wish you could have in your home country but it is too expensive. You'll have to weigh the options and do what fits your circumstances. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 29, 2006
I'll echo the rent a car for the first couple months.... make sure you like Dubai before dropping $X on a car and then struggling hard to sell it. Dubai is not for everyone you may not like it so why burden yourself with a car unless you know for sure you're going to stay.

Just some friendly advice Dubai has a lot of plusses but its share of minuses as well.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 29, 2006
Should be in auto but shadowed in expat help so u will get best of both worlds.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 29, 2006
I would suggest renting to start off with and then seeing what you want to do. You will not be able to buy perhaps for the first month or two, until you get your Residency visa sorted out and then convert your DL to a UAE one.

In that time you will be able to drive around and see what prices are like for renting v leasing v purchasing.

You can rent on a UK/Aus DL without too many problems.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 30, 2006
Renting a small car will cost around 1200-1500 Dirhams per month.
So, If you are staying for 2 years, you car spend at least 28,000 on the purchase of a car without loosing any money.
A half decent new car will be around 55,000 Dirhams.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 04, 2006
Rent for the first three months (or longer). You get a replacement if it breaks down or you crash it. You can't buy until you get residency visa anyway.

Then buy a good car either new or still with manufacturers warranty. Get a loan rather than pay cash for a cheap POS.

Or keep renting for 2 years - it's not as dumb as it sounds.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 04, 2006
sharewadi wrote:Rent for the first three months (or longer). You get a replacement if it breaks down or you crash it. You can't buy until you get residency visa anyway.

Then buy a good car either new or still with manufacturers warranty. Get a loan rather than pay cash for a cheap POS.

Or keep renting for 2 years - it's not as dumb as it sounds.

I'd rather buy a cheap POS than take a loan, if I was uncertain enough of my stay here to consider renting a car indefinitely.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 16, 2006
Cars can easily be sold out here in Dubai.... dont worry about your indefinite stay, if its just a few months like 3-6,fine rent a car. But if its more than that,I suggest buy one that you like and can afford. Beware of 2nd hand, you might end up every week in auto shops. :wink:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto