Help Choose A Car

Topic locked
Help Choose a Car Jul 22, 2006
Salaam Everyone, this is my first post and hopefully one of many, i have just been offered an Engineering Job in Dubai. Im after a Car, and will be buying as soon as next month. Im from UK so how easy will it be to go get finance?.

Ive always wanted an Honda S2000, but now thinking about Infiniti G35, and if i can push the boat out a Porsche Cayman S. Are there any cars that are reccomended that area practical as well as sportish. Ive recently seen some nice Accords. Im very much a Gadget freak and like loads of electronics, so hopefully can direct me to my purchase.

Thankyou

blangs
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 22, 2006
You need to sort out your residency before getting a loan.

S2000 is IMO over G35 as a driver's car.

But if you can spare the extra 70k then go for the Cayman S.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2006
My company is getting a visa for me and sorting accomodation so is there anything else I can do personally to get residency (does this take long)?.

Also your right S2000 is a great car. I have a 200sx right now and i like my driving experiences. I was using american prices to compare, so do you know how much dirham they'll be ? i saw the cayman S was US$58K compared to the US$30K for G35/S2000 but these were on an american website.

Is it also true that if buying new then finance is around 2% compared to used which is 5%?
blangs
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 23, 2006
Do you know anyone with some govt influence in Dubai? No? Then nothing much you can do regarding 'speeding up' the process.

Which 200sx you got at the moment? S15?

S2000 - 130k
350Z/G35 - 150-170k
Cayman S - 220k

There are finance specials available from time to time but typically 3-5% for finance. Porsche tend not to run many of these though.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2006
nope no govt friends yet :wink: , i have the S13 running 240 brake

oooo i'll check the deals when i arrive but the cayman is very tempting, best looking porker IMO.

Regards
blangs
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 23, 2006
I had an S13 and an S14. Both were good cars but wouldn't be able to take the heat here. The Turbos were bad enough in Australia and a lot of S13s had cooling problems.

The SR20 takes to the heat better than the CA18 of the S13s, but still don't think they'd fancy a day like today.

I contemplated getting a R33 or R34 Skyline here, but there hardly seems any around, asnd I guess they're aren't any gulf specs.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 23, 2006
blangs wrote:nope no govt friends yet :wink: , i have the S13 running 240 brake

oooo i'll check the deals when i arrive but the cayman is very tempting, best looking porker IMO.

Regards

Best bang for buck Porka, but best looking? - Not a chance!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2006
there is a dubai registered R33 and R34 skyline near one of my flats thats why there are none in Dubai their all in Wales.
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 23, 2006
So do you know the regulations if perhaps i wanted to bring the vehicke over to the 'UK say in 1 years time, would i have to clear the finance and would the UK charge Import Tax?. I am techinically relocating to Dubai, So i would be classified as Moving Homes on my way back to the Uk, does this help tax avoidance?
blangs
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 23, 2006
edited for stoopid comment
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 24, 2006
^ian^ wrote:I contemplated getting a R33 or R34 Skyline here, but there hardly seems any around, asnd I guess they're aren't any gulf specs.

There's plenty around Ian, they are just creatures of the night - for good reason!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 24, 2006
^ian^ wrote:I contemplated getting a R33 or R34 Skyline here, but there hardly seems any around, asnd I guess they're aren't any gulf specs.

The kid that owns my building has 4 R34's Actually his family have a whole floor in the parking garage, pretty impressive.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 24, 2006
do you know the regulations if perhaps i wanted to bring the vehicke over to the 'UK say in 1 years time, would i have to clear the finance and would the UK charge Import Tax?. I am techinically relocating to Dubai, So i would be classified as Moving Homes on my way back to the Uk, does this help tax avoidance?

I havnt personaly got a clue I think the cars I were on about are belonging to nationals who are in University. There are also a number of Lexus, Mini Coopers and the like with dubai plates. There are a few also with Qatar plates.
PS This is the South Wales valleys I am talking about too. I wonder how much it cost them to transport the cars from the UAE??
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 24, 2006
do you know the regulations if perhaps i wanted to bring the vehicke over to the 'UK say in 1 years time, would i have to clear the finance and would the UK charge Import Tax?. I am techinically relocating to Dubai, So i would be classified as Moving Homes on my way back to the Uk, does this help tax avoidance?

I havnt personaly got a clue I think the cars I were on about are belonging to nationals who are in University. There are also a number of Lexus, Mini Coopers and the like with dubai plates. There are a few also with Qatar plates.
PS This is the South Wales valleys I am talking about too. I wonder how much it cost them to transport the cars from the UAE??
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 25, 2006
any votes for a more sensible options, i really enjoyed my Lexus and is really good for safety in respect to crazy UAE drivers. Tons of Airbags!. Also as mentioned previously, does anyone own the new accord? , and are the ES's regarded as taxis? i did see many ES taxis? New IS?
blangs
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 27, 2006
^^^
blangs
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto