Wellington School

Topic locked
Wellington School Jul 19, 2006
We are due to move to Dubai with a 6 and 9 year old who are used to a small international primary school. Wellington looks fantatic on the website, but as its very new, does anyone have any feedback about it?

Also, if my kids did go to Wellington, where would be the best place to live?

Thank you for your help!! :P

giggle
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jul 19, 2006
first of all, thank god its the first post on a school that is not a prospective clueless teacher :P

I cant help you with your first question but

if my kids did go to Wellington, where would be the best place to live?

If your talking about the one on Sheikh Zayed Road, then Dubai Marina, The Greens, Al Barsha , and Umm Suqiuem are all in the vicinity.

good luck with the move !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 19, 2006
Doesn't Wellington have a massive intake - I think over a 1000 students?
There are other schools which are smaller, and may be more suited to what your kids are used to.

Also, I have mostly heard bad things about GEMS managed schools.....

Alot will depend on where you're coming from - I think British passport holders have the biggest choice because they get preference in many schools.
Wonderwoman
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 19, 2006
Wonderwoman wrote:Alot will depend on where you're coming from - I think British passport holders have the biggest choice because they get preference in many schools.

:shock: school discriminate against what nationality you are? :shock:
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Wellington Jul 19, 2006
Dear Giggle,

I have sent you a P.M and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kindest regards

Ashley
thorntonashley
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2006
Yes - British passport holders get preference in most British curriculum schools. Not all schools have this policy, but certainly the better rated schools do. I think other nationalities can get in, but have to go to the bottom of the waiting list.

I would have thought this wasn't news to people in Dubai - it appears that discrimination is common in many areas of life.

Anyway, the schools dont see it as discrimination - they explain that they give preference to those who have been in the British/American system because they will be used to the content and type of work at that school, and also to allow British/American expats to make a smother transition if they return to their home country.
Wonderwoman
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Wellington School Jul 19, 2006
MaaaD wrote:first of all, thank god its the first post on a school that is not a prospective clueless teacher :P
I concur. It says something about the research skills of parents as opposed to teachers :? ...

giggle wrote:Wellington looks fantatic on the website, but as its very new, does anyone have any feedback about it?
It's been around for a while AFAIK - maybe SZR is a new building/branch.

I'd probably give it a C to C+ on the Little Johnny school rating scale.

Also, if my kids did go to Wellington, where would be the best place to live?
What Maaad said.

Also, I have mostly heard bad things about GEMS managed schools.....
Makes sense. GEMS is a profit-making enterprise (like most private schools here) so the business side of it will try to maximise fees (restricted by MoE) and minimize costs ie teacher salaries. Parents and teachers become disgruntled and education suffers. But WIS may be one of the better ones in the GEMs portfolio.

MaaaD wrote: :shock: school discriminate against what nationality you are? :shock:
Well, that may be a harsh word to use but yes, inasmuch as the Russian School will give enrolment priority to Russians, the Australian School to Australians, the French schools to French, Latifa and Rashid to Emiratis, and so on.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 19, 2006
I just realised, I repeated myself :evil: ...

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8572

I take back what I said before ...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 19, 2006
Wellington opened it's doors in September and has just finished it's first year. My 9 year old goes there and loves it - the facilities are great and it is as good as the website indicates.

The potential intake will be large, but last term I think there were 600 students.

As for where to stay - we stay in Springs and the school bus takes about 20 min, and a direct drive is only 10min. Arabian Ranches only adds about 10 min to the journey time and there are buses that go there too. There are children who come in from Deira, but the travel time is longer.

For more on Wellington (and other schools), go to the forums on www.expatwoman.com - there are loads of posts there. You will find posts from 'Simone' who works at Wellington in the office and has children attending the school.. she is very helpful and will answer queries honestly.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 25, 2006
Giggle,

Wellington certainly does have alot to offer but really do your research before being dazzled by the interior etc.

I am sure there are alot of happy campers but there are also alot of unhappy parents regarding quality teaching staff and basic school policies. I know from some good friends (parents and teachers) that if some of the things became public knowledge most parents would reguard this school differently!

Mind you saying that I have heard that certain members of staff will be leaving soon so maybe things will improve! One can only hope.

Thankfully I don't have any children of school age anymore, so that's one thing less to worry about.

Good luck in your search.
cassiemassie
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 04, 2006
shafique
Dubai forums Addict

cassiemassie
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Hmmmm. 384 posts vs 1 post. I know which opinion is worth more to me although I have an uneasy feeling that cassiemassie has some valid points.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 04, 2006
sharewadi that is a fair observation but as you don't know me from Adam, how long I've been here or which friends of mine attend the school then it really is irrelevant how many times I have posted on this forum.

As for Wellington school I know for a fact that alot has been written about it on the other forum mentioned and the said person works for the school and holds a post where it is her job to premote the school as much as possible. I have done a search on the school there and all you will see is positive remarks due to the negative ones being deleted (stated by a member).

All I am saying is to do your research because some of things that have gone is unexceptable and due to a lot of parents complaints I am sure will not be repeated in the near future.

Once again alot of children and parents are happy there and I do not try to speak for everyone but if you are one of those who have been caught up in the unmentioned problems then it will leave a nasty taste in your mouth.
cassiemassie
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 04, 2006
cassiemassie wrote:sharewadi that is a fair observation but as you don't know me from Adam, how long I've been here or which friends of mine attend the school then it really is irrelevant how many times I have posted on this forum.
Quite right. As I don't know you from Adam, then it's relevant to me. I have read many posts from shafique so have formed an opinion of his/her posts. I don't have an opinion for your posts because you've only posted once. Your description could be very accurate (and I expect it probably is) or you could just be a moaning teacher having a whinge because the school booted you out for not doing a proper job. Or a difficult parent who got told to sod off one day because they refused to listen to a teacher telling them for the hundredth time that their precious little johnny is actually a pain in the arse.

Please don't take that the wrong way, I think it's a good thing you posted what you did :).

As for Wellington school I know for a fact that alot has been written about it on the other forum mentioned and the said person works for the school and holds a post where it is her job to premote the school as much as possible. I have done a search on the school there and all you will see is positive remarks due to the negative ones being deleted (stated by a member).
Yes, I'm aware of that forum's reputation for deleting negative comments.

Once again alot of children and parents are happy there and I do not try to speak for everyone but if you are one of those who have been caught up in the unmentioned problems then it will leave a nasty taste in your mouth.
That would apply to most schools here. It's just the proportion of nasty tasting mouths will vary.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 04, 2006
sharewadi I haven't taken anything you've said the wrong way, although I have to defend myself in the respect that I am neither a disgruntled teacher (for there are many here) or a parent with a 'precious Johnny'!!

On that note I shall sign off and say I think I like you, you speak honestly and obviously have a good sense of humour, so keep up the posts.

Best wishes
cassiemassie
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 05, 2006
cassiemassie wrote:sharewadi I haven't taken anything you've said the wrong way, although I have to defend myself in the respect that I am neither a disgruntled teacher (for there are many here) or a parent with a 'precious Johnny'!!
Fair enough :).

On that note I shall sign off
Temporarily I hope?

and say I think I like you, you speak honestly and obviously have a good sense of humour, so keep up the posts.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum