IKEA In Middle East Being “sexist”

Topic locked
IKEA in middle east being “sexist” Mar 27, 2005
Swedish-based home furnishings giant IKEA has been strongly slammed by a Scandinavian leader for being “sexist” in its self-assembly manuals. The company has been told by Norway’s Prime Minister, Kjell Magne Bondevik, to stop using so many images of men in its instruction leaflets.

He reportedly rejected the company's argument that it did not want to offend Muslims by depicting women building beds, sofas and bookcases. "This isn't good enough," he told a local paper. "It's important to promote attitudes for sexual equality, not least in Muslim nations."

"They should change this," he said. "There's no justification for it," the Norwegian premier added.

IKEA has about 2,000 products that need diagrammed instructions to assemble, and not one of these sheets shows a woman dealing with the problem of putting Swedish flat-packed furniture together, Verdens Gang newspaper reported.

"We have over 200 warehouses around the world and have to take cultural considerations into account. In Muslim countries there is a problem using women in instructions," IKEA's information chief Camilla Lindemann told Verdens Gang.

I'm amazed. :)
As if these politicians don't have anything better to do.

Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Mar 27, 2005
that is all very sad...
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

.. Mar 29, 2005
I think they should use visauls of camels... preferably both, male and female. :lol:
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: IKEA in middle east being “fun” Apr 03, 2005
Andyba wrote:...these politicians don't have anything better to do.
:roll: True.
husain
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 04, 2005
I want a life size sameul l. jackson cut out in my room!
he'll scare away the burglars and make for good conversation
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat