Buying Used Cars...?

Topic locked
buying used cars...? Jul 17, 2006
morning forum gooers.

After my company have finally finished my visa, i can send back my cr@ppy corrolla hire car and buy a car...

i've a couple of questions...

im looking to buy a second hand car from a dealer (probs either a TT, boxster or 350z) what sort of discount should you i be asking against the screen price.. in the uk is seems to be about 10%.

are there any dealers you guys can recommend or recommend against?

are there any companies that do inspections of cars. again, in the uk the AA will inspect a car for a smallish fee.

thanks for your help in advance.

karl

kjames73
Dubai Forum User

Jul 17, 2006
There is no set discount % nor applicable rule of thumb tactics.

Stay away from small dealers specializing in imports - ie Target Autos for one. Also I've heard some nasty things about 4x4 - odometer tinkling and the like.

Reputable workshops will be able to do vehicle checks - prices vary from 400-1000dhs depending on what car you're looking at buying to where you are sending it.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 17, 2006
Where can you get discounts of 10% in the uk?
If you do the car is usually overpriced.
Buying a used car is the same wherever you are. I would recommend you look at classified adds and the such for average prices of the car you want to purchase and do a little bit of home work to find out things to look for and then go for it. Best to take a friend with you when looking at a car as they all look shiney in the showroom. So a friend should offer a more even perspective into the car. They are even good if they now nofink about them.
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 17, 2006
i was suggesting that the screen prices in the uk are marked up... so if you see a car with a screen price of 5000 gbp, you'll probs be able to get it for 4500 gbp...

I am curious if it is similar here..

k
kjames73
Dubai Forum User

Jul 17, 2006
You will have very, very little success trying to get much more than say Dhs1000 off the marked price.

The exception is if they are desperate to shift the car, as it has been standing for some time.

If you fancy a 350Z, I can hook you up with a black one, auto with tiptronic) 2005 model, modded, 22,000km on the clock, fsh! :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 17, 2006
yorky500 wrote:If you fancy a 350Z, I can hook you up with a black one, auto with tiptronic) 2005 model, modded, 22,000km on the clock, fsh! :lol:

You left out the "bling bling" :)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 18, 2006
DaveDXB wrote:im in love with Yorky's 3 girlfriends......although i just met 2 of them...im sure the third one is worth it too

His 3rd one is as big as a cow so it's right down ur alley mate.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 18, 2006
G/f no. 1 is the true love and costs the most! hahahahaha
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 19, 2006
yorky500 wrote:G/f no. 1 is the true love and costs the most! hahahahaha

Hahaha... at least she's not a cow :wink:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 19, 2006