Where Are We Heading?

Topic locked
Where are we heading? Mar 16, 2005
The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints; we spend more, but have less; we buy more but enjoy it less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time; we have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine,
but less wellness.

We drink too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; We've added years to life, not life to years.

We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor. We've conquered outer
space, but not inner space; We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul; we've split the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less; we plan more, but accomplish less.

We've learned to rush, but not to wait; we have higher incomes, but, lower morals. We build more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but have less communication; We've
become long on quantity, but short on quality.

These are the days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken homes.

These are the days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throw away morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do
everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. Where are we heading?

If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family we left behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives.

And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than to our family an unwise investment indeed.

You, Where are you heading?

sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 16, 2005
To hell! :lol: :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 16, 2005
don't forget to pm me, I'll send you postcard from heaven! (",)
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 16, 2005
Fallacy of truth. Logic was too much twisted and was paired on the extreme negative.

Things are made better so it will be like that. Bad things exist independently. Simply life is a continuous struggle, never ending battle.

People just have to solve one problem after another and that is where we are headed. To become an instrument of never ending change and serve life at our fullest capacity.
leila
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 17, 2005
It's funny...lot of people in this world try to play smart, as if they knew everything. But only those who knows why on earth they are here for, can live their life to the fullest performing their purpose. :wink: tnx for the comment leila :)
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 17, 2005
I don't mean to offend, just out of curiosity when i came accross the former post, where do we set the boundary when we can conclude that people are just "playin smart" and when do we geniunely say that this person is really smart?

The fate of each person is absolute, I would like to believe It shall be revealed to me when i reach the end of the line. Mystery of life, isn't it?
leila
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 17, 2005
The end of the world is coming!!!
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 18, 2005
leila wrote:Fallacy of truth. Logic was too much twisted and was paired on the extreme negative.

Things are made better so it will be like that. Bad things exist independently. Simply life is a continuous struggle, never ending battle.

People just have to solve one problem after another and that is where we are headed. To become an instrument of never ending change and serve life at our fullest capacity.

i have to agree !!!... (clap ! clap ! Clap !) well said!!

and not all people who have done good in their lives ie good house and financial status have a bad and fucked up life,

well said!!!
"People just have to solve one problem after another and that is where we are headed. To become an instrument of never ending change and serve life at our fullest capacity"

and this is on the post "wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints"
well the post was pretty much has a narrow view on life.. i say .... no offense the person who might had wrote that must have been a pretty sad chap i say ....,
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 21, 2005
leila wrote:I don't mean to offend, just out of curiosity when i came accross the former post, where do we set the boundary when we can conclude that people are just "playin smart" and when do we geniunely say that this person is really smart?

The fate of each person is absolute, I would like to believe It shall be revealed to me when i reach the end of the line. Mystery of life, isn't it?

Do i need to link my answer to some dictionary homepage showing certain definition of the word smart? guess not. I believed your smart enough to understand what i am trying to say...:wink:

Where not just talking bout mental alertness,calculation capacity and resourcefulness of a person here,. Cuz even if your the greatest woman/man in this world but dunno who gave that gift and don't recognize HIM, for me, that intelligence does'nt count.

It's true that were here to solve one problem after another... cuz this life is juz a test, a trust and a temporary assignment.... It's JUST A TEMPORARY DWELLING.

And for me, it's not life whom I have to serve... . It's HIM.
Everyone must know his purpose.
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2005
your all a bunch of hippies!
you die and that's that!
none of that emotion, heart, romance, life crap! don't make me puke!

Im a bit pissy
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

The tongue that defiles Mar 26, 2005
your all a bunch of hippies!
you die and that's that!
none of that emotion, heart, romance, life crap! don't make me puke!

Im a bit pissy

Our words have an effect on others; they also have an effect on us. When we speak evil, We will not only reveal the sin in our own heart (Luke 6:45), We also reinforce that evil and cause it grow. Jesus said it's not what goes in my mouth that defiles me, but what comes out. Our untamed tongue corrupts us.

On the other hand, when we refuse to give expression to impure, unkind, ungodly thoughts, we begin to choke and strangle the evil in my soul.

That's why the wise man said in Proverbs 13:3 that we must guard our mouth. When we do that, we strave the evil that is gnawing insidiously at the root of our soul. Do we want to put an end to the evil that so easily rises within us? With God's help, we must learn to control our tongue.

You may say, "I've tried to, but have no power to subdue it". james agreed: "No man can tame my tongue" (james 3:8). But Jesus can. Ask Him to keep watch over your mouth (Psalm 141:3) and hand the bridle of your tongue to Him.

Let's echo the prayer hymn by france Havergal: "Take my lips and let them filled with messages for Thee." ---David Roper

Whoever guard his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles. Proverbs 21:23
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2005
yeah well, bottling emtions isn't no good. one day you just snap and go on a killing spree or head over to rolla and mowdown the hordes in a landcruiser.
Not healthy, you got something to say? then spit it out!!!
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2005
We do not wrestle against flesh, but the ruler of the darkness of this age(Ephisians 6:12)
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2005
where do you get all this psyhco babble from?
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2005
based on exposure with this corrupt world but still seizing the colors of this gift of life. Also, got lot of books for soul. wanna have some?
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2005
Stay away you hippie!
I only read books about kicking ass and chewing bubblegum, none of that new age rubbish! i read of lumber jacks who destroyed forests, ate pancakes by the kilo and beat their women good, the way god intended!
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2005
It's frustrating to talk to some people about God, Jesus, and salvation. They shrug you off by saying, "You have your own belief and I have mine". Or "I won't tell you how to live if you won't tell me how to live." or as vulgar as "STAY AWAY".

How do we respond to that? By telling them and showing them that our belief in Christ make sense. It gives life meaning now and for eternity.

In the book Papillon,the main character dreams that he is on trial. The judge says that he is being charged with the most terrible crime that a person can possibly commit. When Papillon asks what it is, he is told, "The Tragedy of Wasted Life" "Guilty!', says Papillon, weeping. "Guilty."

There are people all around us whose lives have no meaning or hope. They're caught in the web of sin, living in the futility of their mind(Ephisians 4:17). Our role , as followers of the Lord Jesus, is to demonstrate that the lifeof faith does make sense. In the midst of a world of aimlessness and despair, we are to live with purpose and hope.

When we show the difference Jesus has made in our lives, they will see that life can have meaning and purpose. then, if they turn to Jesus, they too will avoid the tragedy of wasted life.
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2005
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 27, 2005
Let's stay on topic or should I move this to the Philosophy and Religion Section.

Observation: Sweet Mary you've posted the same in this thread and in that section.

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Mar 29, 2005
hey fatty,

Right is right even if evryone is against it, and wrong is wrong even if everyone is for it. :wink:

nyway, tnx 4 d advice.
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

.. Mar 30, 2005
Hey.... nice discussion huh??

Well let me give you the perspective of a Christian, born and brought up in a Hindu dominant country like India. Dominant only in numbers...

I guess religion and faith is a personal issue and needs to be kept as that. Agressive and external preaching of christianity by a handful gives the rest of us a bad name. Religion is a 'belief' and belief comes who one experiences the positives. Let us assume that Christianity is the supreme and one and only religion. Let our actions, ways and experiences prove it to the world.

I am surely concerned about the issues sweet_mary raised when she/he started this discussion which seems to have gone on a tangent now. Peddling or forcing your belief on someone else brings it down to the level of a commodity.

Having grown up in a minority community these are the lessons I have learnt. Keep religion to yourself. Don't force it on others and let them see you and your life to believe.
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 14, 2009
I'm reviving this thread because I thought,, The initial post was beautiful, and is deserving of an all out, energy sappping debate.
Besides there is a lot of intellect and diversity on DF these days!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 14, 2009
Well the original post was just a straight quote of one of those chain letters that goes around and around the Internet for ever, you know, 'send this to twelve of your best friends and you will receive a blessing'.

The other posts she made were just Bible quotes and quotes pulled straight from some religious tracts or whatever. You can see the grammar and spelling/punctuation differences when she posted her own words (hey fatty...).

It's a cheap way to get others to do the hard work of stuffing her Christianity down everyone else's throat. sa4877 (wow, what a Nick! :D) testified above.

Sorry if I may appear to be displaying a displaying a lack of intellect MCL, but that's how I see it. ;)

And this certainly doesn't belong in General Chat...
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 15, 2009
Right On SH......
When I first read the initial post, I had this sense of Deja Vu.
Where are we heading? To me it sounded like, What has life come to? It's all about money, you just can't trust anyone these days.... Those were the thoughts that came to my mind.
After I read the subsequent posts I realized this is all religious phyco babble.
But I certainly wasn't thinking along religious lines.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 11, 2009
Sweet Marry

What's ur point? or you're just preaching?
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums