Medical Questions

Topic locked
Medical questions Jul 04, 2006
I was hoping someone might be able to help me.

I am currently thinking of moving to Dubai and I have a situation that I need some answers to.

My partner suffers from Polycystic Kidney Disease. This causes her kidneys to slowly deteriorate.

She is currently fit and the disease gets monitored twice a year in the UK where we currently live. The doctors say her kidneys will fail they think in 5or 6 years time.

My questions are -

1. Can she get treatment for this in Dubai?
2. I don't think private medical cover will touch this or is their one that will?
3. If I move to Dubai on my work Visa - does that make me a resident in Dubai?
4. Can she go back to the UK for treatment?
5. Is there anyone else here with a similar problem?

I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks

XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 04, 2006
Ok, I'm certainly no expert, but I'll try to give at least a few answers:

Firstly, are you and your partner married?? This makes a big difference in Dubai!

Secondly, with medical insurance, they usually won't cover you for any pre-existing medical conditions. Would think it is highly unusual if you found one that did cover you, afterall, they are in the insurance business and its all about probabilities of paying out. In this case, for them it would be a no-brainer as they'd almost certainly have to pay out for the treatment - and a lot of money too!
I'd be amazed if she can't get treatment in Dubai though - medical facilities are among the best in the world - certainly in the Middle East.

Yes, if you get a work visa/permit, you'll become a resident.

As for treatment in the UK, well as I understand it, if you continue to pay National Insurance contributions, then you are entitled to treatment on the NHS. To find out more, try getting in touch with the Department of Health, and also have a look on the HMRC website regarding paying National Insurance contributions whilst abroad, and what this entitles you to.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 04, 2006
Thanks for the repy. We're are not married. She will have a work visa though.

If she is a resident then in Dubai - can she get free health care if she was to fall ill due to this condition in our time in Dubai?
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 04, 2006
Can anyone help? :(
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 04, 2006
XPClone wrote:Can anyone help? :(

I think tourists get medical care free if it's an emergency.

Residents are supposed to have insurance. There's been some changes recently, there may be a government scheme you can sign up to which is cheaper than private schemes (there used to be government health cards anyway).

But seriously, are you going to rely on me for medical advice :shock: ? I strongly advise you not to.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 05, 2006
Anyone have the definitive answer? What are current expats doing???? (I know you have private medical cover but what does it cover you for?

Does anyone else have fedback to my questions:

2. I don't think private medical cover will touch this or is their one that will?
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 05, 2006
XPClone wrote:Anyone have the definitive answer? What are current expats doing???? (I know you have private medical cover but what does it cover you for?

Does anyone else have fedback to my questions:

Yes, however the quality of medical care in Dubai is not very good in my opinion.

Sorry dont know about this one.

Yes

if your a UK citizen who has been paying for health insurance there i dont see why not, but i am not sure. Maybe someone from the UK can answer this.

Okay this is not similar, but i remember my grandfather coming to visit the UAE back in the mid 80s and he was on dialysis and i remember that he got treatment at the goverment hospital then. Not sure what was the arrangment, and i assure you laws have changed a million times since then :)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 06, 2006
Thanks very much for the response. :D
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum