Thinking Of A Move To Dubai

Topic locked
Thinking of a move to Dubai Jun 28, 2006
Hi,
My wife and I and very seriously considering a move to Dubai after we have both completed our current projects. I would expect this question has been asked on more than one occasion but I'm look for some feed back on Dubai and employment for our expertise.

I currently work for a Telco responsible for technology sales within an account team responsible for two large (NZ standards) customers. I deal manly in intelligent WAN solutions. 10 years experience in related industries. 5 years in LAN and WAN technologies.

My wife is a successful journalist with 10 years experience. The last two years as a media manager for a political party in parliament.

We are both in a late 30's...closer to 40 really but not quite. We are social and young at heart. :)

I would appreciate any feed back, opinions and experiances you would like to share on living and working in Dubai.

Cheers

Glen & Fran

wellington
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 28, 2006
Suggest you juse the "Search" function, OR look in the "Dubai Expat Help Forum"
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Thinking of a move to Dubai Jun 28, 2006
wellington wrote:Hi,
My wife and I and very seriously considering a move to Dubai after we have both completed our current projects. I would expect this question has been asked on more than one occasion but I'm look for some feed back on Dubai and employment for our expertise.

What question? So far you said you were considering moving to Dubai three times as far as I could see. How many times would you like me to reply? All three, or two, or perhaps just this one? You can check here to see if your expectations are correct.

Regarding your consideration of moving to Dubai, some people think it's great, others think it's not. Some people stay a long time, some get fed up and leave after a month. Sunshine is great. Traffic is not. No income tax is great. Cost of renting is not. And so on and so on. Not sure what to say to you that would be any more useful without being repetitive.

No political parties here but media management for a company may be possible. Journalism is hardly cutting edge here but improving. Political journalism mostly involves taking a photo of a Sheikh shaking someone's hand and putting it on the front page with their names.

LAN and WAN management tends to be done by cheap educated labor from Asian countries if I've understood the terms correctly. Sales I think maybe the same.

People who have posted less often may give you a better answer since they haven't started repeating themselves so much yet. :wink: .
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

sharewadi wrote:

What question? So far you said you were considering moving to Dubai three times as far as I could see. How many times would you like me to reply? All three, or two, or perhaps just this one? You can check here to see if your expectations are correct.

Regarding your consideration of moving to Dubai, some people think it's great, others think it's not. Some people stay a long time, some get fed up and leave after a month. Sunshine is great. Traffic is not. No income tax is great. Cost of renting is not. And so on and so on. Not sure what to say to you that would be any more useful without being repetitive.

No political parties here but media management for a company may be possible. Journalism is hardly cutting edge here but improving. Political journalism mostly involves taking a photo of a Sheikh shaking someone's hand and putting it on the front page with their names.

LAN and WAN management tends to be done by cheap educated labor from Asian countries if I've understood the terms correctly.

People who have posted less often may give you a better answer since they haven't started repeating themselves so much yet. :wink: .

You could have saved yourself all that typing by just referring him to the SEARCH button or Dubai Expat Help Forum! hahahahahahahaha
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

yorky500 wrote:You could have saved yourself all that typing by just referring him to the SEARCH button or Dubai Expat Help Forum! hahahahahahahaha

Thanks for the tip, that's a very clever idea which I'll try and remember.

But er, why did you type out everything I said again? That must have taken you a long time too :shock: ...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

I currently work for a Telco responsible for technology sales within an account team responsible for two large (NZ standards) customers. I deal manly in intelligent WAN solutions. 10 years experience in related industries. 5 years in LAN and WAN technologies.

My wife is a successful journalist with 10 years experience. The last two years as a media manager for a political party in parliament.

We are both in a late 30's...closer to 40 really but not quite. We are social and young at heart. :)

I would appreciate any feed back, opinions and experiances you would like to share on living and working in Dubai.

Cheers

Glen & Fran

i was just wondering u guys seem to have good jobs and seem to be well settled. why do u want to migrate and start over?
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

sharewadi wrote:But er, why did you type out everything I said again? That must have taken you a long time too :shock: ...

What, damn, you mean I could have just used the "quote" button instead? Dayummmmmmmm.

Thanks for the tip, that's a very clever idea which I'll try and remember. :wink:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

yorky500 wrote:What, damn, you mean I could have just used the "quote" button instead? Dayummmmmmmm.

What's the quote button :? ?

If I want to quote something someone said, I put the monitor on the scanner and scan in the screen, then crop out the image of the previous post, reduce the size in photoshop and change the background color, then paste it back in to my post. Am I being a little inefficient?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 28, 2006
I am confused. Although, that in itself is not new to me.

In any event, welcome :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

sharewadi wrote:
yorky500 wrote:What, damn, you mean I could have just used the "quote" button instead? Dayummmmmmmm.

What's the quote button :? ?

If I want to quote something someone said, I put the monitor on the scanner and scan in the screen, then crop out the image of the previous post, reduce the size in photoshop and change the background color, then paste it back in to my post. Am I being a little inefficient?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, nice one.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Thanks Jun 28, 2006
I appreciate your feed back and i will try try try try try to stop repeating myself.

In answer to the questions "why would we move".....why not. Have travelled a bit but have also lived here all my life.......time for a change. Job won't be hassel getting back here and our house will allways be here.

Thanks again...and again...and again....whoopppsss...there I go again and again and....whoops....there I go again......... :wink:
wellington
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Thanks Jun 28, 2006
wellington wrote:I appreciate your feed back and i will try try try try try to stop repeating myself.

Picked up the stutter bug instead?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 28, 2006
Seems to be fitting in well already!!!

Shame you can't get over to Dubai for tomorrow night - meeting with all the faces of DF would have been useful.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Moving to Dubai Jun 29, 2006
I also wish to 'migrate' to the UAE, namely Dubai since I wish to start a business there of some sort and at least try to enjoy life a little more than Im currently doing here in the UK, especially London. Life is just soo expensive here. I came across a few articles my friend recommended to me a while back at dubai-information.net -> its not brilliant but the articles on 'expats' were really useful. I hope to actually leave the UK by the end of the year and try to set up something before I leave the UK. I sincerely wish you luck in your quest also. One thing to note, however, is that Dubai offers no real security. You can always get kicked out of the country at a moments notice. The only real way of attaining some sort of security is by either buying a property in the Dubai (ie freehold- that everyone else is buying nowadays) OR by getting a work visa which will enable you to setup a company or start trading. Its quite complicated but above link also has something on visa'a as well if I remember.
iwaqarc
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Moving to Dubai Jun 29, 2006
iwaqarc wrote:I also wish to 'migrate' to the UAE, namely Dubai since I wish to start a business there of some sort and at least try to enjoy life a little more than Im currently doing here in the UK, especially London. Life is just soo expensive here. I came across a few articles my friend recommended to me a while back at dubai-information.net -> its not brilliant but the articles on 'expats' were really useful. I hope to actually leave the UK by the end of the year and try to set up something before I leave the UK. I sincerely wish you luck in your quest also. One thing to note, however, is that Dubai offers no real security. You can always get kicked out of the country at a moments notice. The only real way of attaining some sort of security is by either buying a property in the Dubai (ie freehold- that everyone else is buying nowadays) OR by getting a work visa which will enable you to setup a company or start trading. Its quite complicated but above link also has something on visa'a as well if I remember.

Which part of this link is about Dubai???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 29, 2006
The part where is says the word Dubai.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 29, 2006
http://www.dubai-information.net
iwaqarc
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 29, 2006
As I said, the site is ok, nothing special, but there are a few good articles on expats. Just goto the search bar and type expats, and see what comes up. Anyhow, must dash, work to do..
iwaqarc
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat