Automatic Vs Manual Transmission

Topic locked
Automatic Vs Manual transmission May 20, 2006
me plannin to buy a jeep wrangler
wat would u guyz prefer its transmission to be (auto/manual)
will der b ny kinda problem while i resell a manual jeep after 2-3 yrs..

and i heard that jeep wrangler 2007 is comin with reduced engine capacity (3.8L) so hope der will be enough demand for the old hero (4.0L)..

hehe :-)

newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2006
well ask yourself this, how much time will you be dune bashing and how much time will you be stuck going 3-7kms/hour in heavy bur dubai traffic.

I only prefer manual but I'm stuck in my ways and at the end of the day I enjoy driving a manual but in Dubai I find most people will prefer auto so you may have an easier time selling an auto.

good luck in whatever you decide.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 21, 2006
Yes, what fayz said is quite right.

Manual is better for the "driving experience" but auto is going to be a lot less frustrating in dubai traffic jams. And there's very few places to enjoy a drive like you would on some European mountain road or a fun UK B road.

Most would say manual is better for desert driving. I decided to go with an automatic (because I figured I'd be in traffic jams more than in the desert) and it was much better than I expected in the sand.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 21, 2006
do u guyz kno if any insurance company is providing off road insurance for this jeep
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 04, 2006
automatic.
sabiqoon
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 12, 2006
Hi,

Again, personally, I prefer a manual, but you would get a better value if you were trying to sell an automatic. Still, when buying a Wrangler, you're committing to a lifestyle, and its not like buying any other Japanese 4 door. If you're looking for creature comforts and good resale value, a Wrangler is not the way to go.

As far as I know, all insurance companies do provide off-road cover for a fee.

Cheers, and all the best for your purchase..
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 12, 2006
avkurian wrote:As far as I know, all insurance companies do provide off-road cover for a fee.

Check that carefully.

I've heard bizarre stories of people taking a shortcut on sand between buildings, or parked somewhere "off-road" and discovering after an accident that they weren't insured.

That may be typical expat urban-legend stuff too though, I've never had to test it myself. I always try to hit things on normal roads only :shock: ...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 13, 2006
Hi again,

As I said, all insurance companies provide off-road cover FOR A FEE!! It is not covered by regular policies. It is like getting insurance for going to Oman. You have to specifically ask for it.

So if you just decide to take a short hop through the sand one day, and wreck your ride, they are well within their rights to deny payment. It is only serious offroaders who would even consider off-road insurance.

Maybe www.dubai4x4.com can help you some more. Ask around on the forum.

All the best![/quote]
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 13, 2006
DaveDXB wrote:Automatic on sand = big mistake.

The gear breaks.....its happened to all my friends with 4 wheels...

I disagree. Maybe sometimes but I've seen manual drivers roast clutches in the desert.

earlier, sharewadi wrote:Most would say manual is better for desert driving. I decided to go with an automatic (because I figured I'd be in traffic jams more than in the desert) and it was much better than I expected in the sand.

200,000 km my car is still doing fine. I still agree manual is the preferred choice, my point is an automatic can work too.

Biggest annoyance for me was the car would hold in first or third but not second. Oh yeah, a diff-lock would have been handy too.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 13, 2006
hi,

Have to disagree that "automatic on sand = big mistake"! Have driven my auto Cherokee with absolutely no problems faced because it was auto. of course, for my own satisfaction, would have preferred manual for the power on demand.

If all ur friends' gears have broken b'coz of driving automatics in the sand, its probably time to send them all to driver training! :D

ninf, i dont think there is gonna be a lowering of the engine capacity of the 2007 Wranglers. It will stay 4.0L. From what I've seen online, its a few cosmetic changes. The 2006 already comes with a 6-speed manual. And if you were to buy a new one, you shouldn't have to worry about selling it in a year or two. You could prob'ly sell it right back to Al Futtaim's Automall.

I think this is one of the few vehicles in the world that people actually want in manual. If you go to any of the used car markets, ensure that the Jeep is actually GCC specifications. There are many American specs Jeep around, and you can really lose money on those! Miserable resale value, even by Jeep standards.

Even if they do bring down the engine capacity for the 2007, it will be 4.0L ones that will be in demand, like what happened with the Jeep Cherokee.

Let me know how the search goes. Am lookin for one myself!

Cheers!
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 14, 2006
Oops, my bad..

Checked with some experts, and yes, there is gonna be a drop in engine capacity in the 2007 Wrangler. It'll be the 3.7L V6 currently in use in the Cherokee/Liberty.

The value of the 4.0L one will probably go up now!
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 19, 2006
yea guyz
i got that info from one of the Trading Enterprise Sales person that they r gonna reduce the cc to 3700...

and I have bought the vehicle
its

2006 Sahara edition
Black
Manual transmission

I'm totally new 4WD

one day i took it to Jumeirah Beach (near to burj al arab)
and i tried to drive (first time driving off road),
first i put the gear in 4Hi
and then started off
wen the rpm reached 2500 i shifted to gear 2
then the vehicle suddenly stopped in the middle
then i had to put the 1st gear...wen i shifted to 2nd again it stopped
y is it so..
guyz temme some tips...
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2006
guyz if u have any tips
temme in laymans language

as i told i'm 1st timer
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2006
Off roading... Put it to 4Lo
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 20, 2006
Woah, Liban.. hold it there.. Not necessary that every time u go offroad it has to be in 4Lo. 4Lo is mostly ur backup when ur stuck or in a difficult situation.

I recommend joining a forum like the dubai4x4.com, and you can get a great initiation into the sand. You can also get ur tech q's answered like why ur 4WD is not sticking.

More often than not, 4hi is more than enough. Just remember to deflate ur tyres (15-18psi), carry lots of water etc., a mobile phone, recovery kit (sturdy rope to tow you out etc- most of which are best bought from ACE Hardware) and never, ever, EVER go into the sand alone. You should ideally have at least 3 vehicles, and the sizes should be matched in case they need to be pulled out of stucks. Don't even volunteer to use your Wrangler to pull out an H2, for instance.

Have fun, and maybe we'll meet in the sand soon.

Cheers!
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 20, 2006
Agree with Avkurian.

newimprovednf wrote:wen the rpm reached 2500 i shifted to gear 2
then the vehicle suddenly stopped in the middle
then i had to put the 1st gear...wen i shifted to 2nd again it stopped
y is it so..
guyz temme some tips...

Sounds like a call the dealer problem to me.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto