Serious Question...Please Help !!!

Topic locked
Serious Question...Please help !!! Jun 09, 2006
Hello

I recently went to a medical leb where I had my blood drawn for a blood test. The problem is that I want paying attention and I didnt see the nurse if she opened a new syringe or she used an old one. I am really scared that I might have been infected with some disease if the syringe was old and used on somebody else.

Does anybody know what kind of syringes are used in the UAE? Are they disposable? Can they be reused or they are designed for one use only?

Thanks for your help

Oussssss
Dubai Forum User

Jun 09, 2006
Where did you get your test, in an alley in Karama ? or at a reputable clinic/hospital ?

and was it a blood test ? or was it recreational drugs "testing" ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2006
I went for the test in Dubai Medical Lab. A reputable lab I guess. And it was a regular blood test for hep.
Oussssss
Dubai Forum User

Jun 09, 2006
you will be fine dude... they use disposable needles ... no need to freak out
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2006
thanks for the replies man, but I mean what if the nurse by mistake used a used syringe. Can she or the syringe will not work?
Oussssss
Dubai Forum User

Jun 09, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Where did you get your test, in an alley in Karama ? or at a reputable clinic/hospital ?

and was it a blood test ? or was it recreational drugs "testing" ?

:lol: :lol: see, this is what i was talking about :wink:

shukran for the av.
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 09, 2006
Dubai might be a lot of things, but its not third world and I can't imagine that even any unreputable clinics would re-use needles!! As much as anything, it would contaminate the blood they take from you, rendering any tests on it completely useless - and thats not even taking into account how it could contaminate you!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 09, 2006
the_zooter wrote:Dubai might be a lot of things, but its not third world and I can't imagine that even any unreputable clinics would re-use needles!! As much as anything, it would contaminate the blood they take from you, rendering any tests on it completely useless - and thats not even taking into account how it could contaminate you!!

I am not saying that they will do it on purpose....but maybe my mistake
Oussssss
Dubai Forum User

Jun 09, 2006
have to agree with zooter here
what ever dubai may be or how ever callous they may be in handling you...they would not make a basic mistake of reusing a syringe...relax...they are all disposable...and if you are doing med tests...they use disposable ones...and everyone rarely pays attention at a time like this...coz there are a million things going thru thier minds...its only natural to feel paranoia after someone is poking a needle into you...my bet is...you are feeling unsettled...no one would be so callous as to make a horrible mistake as reusing a disposable syringe...
constantine

Jun 09, 2006
although they might keep them laying around for your baby to dab into them :

http://www.7days.ae/2006/06/05/baby-blood-test.html

A one-year-old boy had to be tested for HIV and Hepatitis B after stabbing himself with a syringe during a routine visit to the paediatrician’s office. Baby Mubarak was at the Welcare clinic at Knowledge Village last week for a routine vaccination when he was left unattended to wander around the office and ended up sticking his hand in ayellow bucket of used syringes.

A nurse quickly disinfected the wound and blood tests were conducted on the boy. Rashed Ahmed, the boy’s father said the yellow bucket, which had a sliding top was not secured properly and was laid there on the floor accessible to any child. “It’s outrageous that even though it’s a paediatrician’s office, the bucket full of used syringes was not put away and out of children’s reach,” Ahmed said.

But Dr Sumedha Sahni, the head of quality at Welcare health systems, said the parents are to blame for not watching their child properly while his older brother was being vaccinated.“Such incidents show the need for stricter parental supervision and with two parents in the room one of them should have kept an eye on their child or taken him to the play area,” Sahni added.

Ahmed said his son was crying because he wanted to walk around and “in one split second I saw Mubarak run to the corner of the room and put his hand into an open yellow bucket, which was full of syringes,” said the shocked father. Dr Sahni said that blood tests came up negative, but the child would have to go for another test in three months to ensure he was not infected.

“Infections by needles aren’t common and only one of 1,000 infected needles can actually transmit a disease,” she added. Welcare clinic will now require all syringe-buckets to be fixed high on the walls to avoid such incidents, Dr Sahni said.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2006
but the positive part of this is that they actually do use disposables :lol: :lol: :lol:
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2006
used medical sharps are immediatly disposed of in 'contaminated sharps bins' (the universal , i guess, yellow ones as they are also yellow in the UK) to prevent the risk of accidental needle stick injuries, to the practitioner and anyone else, which might pass on desease...however in your case...unless the nurse fished it out of the bin and put her own health at risk...its not likely that she would have used an old syringe....chill!
wannabe
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 09, 2006
My friend is a nurse and it would be against a lot of rules if she didn't use a new one. I see lots of lawsuits and big bucks for you.... :lol:
leelola
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 09, 2006
leelola wrote:My friend is a nurse and it would be against a lot of rules if she didn't use a new one. I see lots of lawsuits and big bucks for you.... :lol:

I dont want any lawsuites or big bucks...I just dont want to be infectd with something serious :roll:
Oussssss
Dubai Forum User

Jun 09, 2006
I know I was just kidding. I think the chances that it was a used syringe is almost impossible. Don't worry! :D
leelola
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2006
I don't know guys, if they can miss a broken neck then they could quite easily reuse a needle. Its Dubai - u never know!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 12, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:I don't know guys, if they can miss a broken neck then they could quite easily reuse a needle. Its Dubai - u never know!

oh..now u got me freaked out again !!
Oussssss
Dubai Forum User

Jun 12, 2006
Unless they are re-cycling them at the back door of the Clinic :twisted:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 15, 2006
I dont think that the syringe will be used twice....I think it is better if u get an answer from a nurse or somethiung
nwo
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jun 15, 2006
DaveDXB wrote:The chances of that needle being a used one is very likely since ur still alove right now and posting messages. With all the messy people coming to this country from the near by mautains and all the diseases they bring along, u wudnt last 3 days.

look around you when u walk anywhere in Dubai. Out of 20 people, what do u see? how healthy are they? l0o0o0l...u know what i mean.

The chances of that needle being a used one is very UNlikely

Fixed
Nick81

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat